October 17th Start

allisonra

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm looking forward to joining with you all starting the Whole 30 on Monday October 17!!  I've only read "It Starts With Food" so far but have the "Whole 30" on my kindle to read this weekend.  I'm a Bulletproof Coach in training currently and working with my own health coach from the Functional Medicine Academy.  Trying the Whole 30 has been her suggestion.  I'm close to having a handle on most of my allergens so far but something is still sneaking around my diet and I'm determined to find out what it is!!  Night shades are a little troublesome still.  But just getting dairy out and only a few weeks ago, has already started to really shift things.  The little places weird sugar hides is also a tough one.  I have been enjoying coconut yogurt until I read how much sugar was in the vanilla!!  Any support and / or suggestions over the course of this next 30 days will be most welcome!!  I'm so glad to have found this forum!!  

The FB group worked for me, too; great to see so many others doing this!!

I've got some chicken cooking now to shred and freeze, and will make some salmon patties later. I've got some homemade kimchi, but I'm kinda craving pickled carrots and jalapenos, so I may add those to the shopping list.

What is everyone else doing?

20 hours ago, MagR said:

Anyone having something good this weekend for a "last supper"? I'm doing hummus and pita with gyro over rice. And washing it down with a beer! Pretty much my favorite meal and definitely not W30 compliant! :P

Sounds delicious! I'm having macaroni and cheese with ham for lunch today, but I'm hoping to have something healthier for dinner. :)

The Facebook group is a great idea, but just keep in mind that on this thread there are moderators who read the posts and provide accurate information and problem solving. There are no moderators on facebook so if something isn't working for you or you need some of the experts advice you are not going to get it there. And I have seen misinformation and incorrect advice posted in chats that aren't moderated by whole 30 staff. I hope you all continue to post your progress and experiences here in this thread :)

On another note, going to have pizza tonight and then kiss it good bye ......

2 hours ago, Susabella627 said:

The Facebook group is a great idea, but just keep in mind that on this thread there are moderators who read the posts and provide accurate information and problem solving. There are no moderators on facebook so if something isn't working for you or you need some of the experts advice you are not going to get it there. And I have seen misinformation and incorrect advice posted in chats that aren't moderated by whole 30 staff. I hope you all continue to post your progress and experiences here in this thread :)

On another note, going to have pizza tonight and then kiss it good bye ......

That's a good reminder Susabella627.  I personally love reading the forums here for help and suggestions.  For me, Facebook is about accessibility and accountability.  I hope that people will notice if I'm not posting regular updates and check up on me.  

I didn't know that moderators watched the forums so closely. Thanks for sharing!,!

So excited we have the same start date. I'm new to this...nervous, but excited. I'm 24, but I have already developed an unhealthy relationship with food. However, I'm ready to take a hold of what I put in my mouth. I'm so grateful to have some accountability buddies. 

P.s. Allison, I'm also a teacher - 2nd grade! :)

Hi there.I will be starting on Monday as well, first timer who is pretty apprehensive. I am the cook in the family and while my girlfriend will pretty much ready whatever I cook our 15 year old daughter is another story. She will eat almost no vegetables and has a huge sweet tooth. Unfortunately these food habits were around before I became a part of her life so there is no interest in changing them. My challenge will be cooking my weaknesses like rice and not indulging. I'm not a sweetness or dessert person. I want rice and potatoes. And fried foods lol. 

Hello there! I am also starting on Monday 10/17. This will be my 1st Whole30... Super excited to find a group who will be starting the same time. Any tips from those who have done this before in regards to prepatation? I am planning on cleaning the pantry/fridge out tomorrow, meal planning, and grocery shopping tomorrow... Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Also, I am a nurse- I work three to four 12-jour shifts a week with minimal time for meals so any quick and easy snack ideas would be awesome!

I just started my First Whole 30 today. I was also so relieved to find a group of people starting now. I know a few people who have done it in the past and have a friend who is also doing it. I don't see her very often though, so am thankful for this forum. I just finished Day 1-super easy, but I am sure my body is burning off the "storage" of carbs and sugars I have built up. I need to work on my sugar cravings. It is CRAZY how much sugar is in everything. I finally found sugar free bacon and it was pretty good. 

Good luck to you all, and I would love to be in a Facebook group too!

7 hours ago, Abby2010 said:

I am planning on cleaning the pantry/fridge out tomorrow, meal planning, and grocery shopping tomorrow... Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Also, I am a nurse- I work three to four 12-jour shifts a week with minimal time for meals so any quick and easy snack ideas would be awesome!

Hi Abby, during the first Whole30, the slow cooker was a lifesaver so we could have chili or a chicken curry ready after work. We'd keep egg salad and tuna salad on hand for a quick roll up in a romaine leaf for a snack.  We'd cook frozen fish in large batches for dinner and take some for lunch the next day along with a salad. I'd make a frittata full of vegetables for a quick breakfast. Canned salmon heated up with homemade taco seasoning makes a great addition to a salad or filling for a lettuce leaf, too.

Hope this helps. Looking forward to hearing what works for you!

Hey everyone! I am starting on the 17th, as well. I completed a Whole30 in 2015, and it was a life-changing experience. Since then, we bought a house, I switched careers, we had a leak that destroyed our floors, we lost a baby, then lost our dog. In the intervening 1.5 years, my eating has declined back (mostly) into what it was. 

Ive attempted to try it again twice, got to day 10, then quit. The first time my wife did it with me - she's not interested this time, so I need some accountability! I am tired of making excuses for my sugar addiction and I need to break the cycle. Whole30 has helped before, and I'm hoping it'll help again. 

Look forward to changing my life with you all!

13 hours ago, Abby2010 said:

Hello there! I am also starting on Monday 10/17. This will be my 1st Whole30... Super excited to find a group who will be starting the same time. Any tips from those who have done this before in regards to prepatation? I am planning on cleaning the pantry/fridge out tomorrow, meal planning, and grocery shopping tomorrow... Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Also, I am a nurse- I work three to four 12-jour shifts a week with minimal time for meals so any quick and easy snack ideas would be awesome!

This is my life as well, working 12 hour shifts in a busy operating room. However, because I work nights and the cafeteria is NOT open, I find that I eat better because I cook everything. Also, I work 2.5 hours away from my home (I stay there for 3 days) so I'm only cooking for myself, which means I can cook things that the rest of the family doesn't like. My struggle is when I come home trying to stick to a plan.

Hi everyone! 

I'm starting tomorrow too! Can I join your Facebook group?? I am really nervous and really hope I can do this and think the accountability will help a lot. 

A little about me and why I'm doing my first whole30... I'm 28 and currently on maternity leave with a 2 month old. I will be returning to work soon. I've had a terrible relationship with food my whole life including major stress eating. I basically ate everything when I was pregnant and continued post partum. I need a serious reset. I really hope I can handle the amount of cooking/prep time required for this. I'm also nervous about the tiredness and moodyness... Don't need any help in the department lol

15 hours ago, Divachef said:

Hi there.I will be starting on Monday as well, first timer who is pretty apprehensive. I am the cook in the family and while my girlfriend will pretty much ready whatever I cook our 15 year old daughter is another story. She will eat almost no vegetables and has a huge sweet tooth. Unfortunately these food habits were around before I became a part of her life so there is no interest in changing them. My challenge will be cooking my weaknesses like rice and not indulging. I'm not a sweetness or dessert person. I want rice and potatoes. And fried foods lol. 

Is there any harm in not preparing the foods that are non-compliant for dinner? It definitely won't hurt your gf's daughter to eat whole foods. If she doesn't like it or wants something in addition, could she learn to prepare them herself? It doesn't seem unreasonable if you are not forcing her to follow the plan outside of the food you prepare for dinner.

Our boys understand that they will eat what we prepare. Granted, we try to avoid things we know they legitimately dislike (fried chicken for example). They are now at the age (7 & 10) that if they want something other than what is planned they have to help prepare it.

I know every family dynamic is different, just stinks you have to prepare foods that you will not be eating.

Hi!

My goal was to see start my first round of the whole 30 this monday! I am thrilled that I found a group of people who are all starting at the same time. I am really hoping to do a full round. I am a medical student and have very little time to do anything other than attend class and study. Because of my schedule my nutrition has suffered and that really needs to change.

There are a few reasons why I want to fix my nutrition.  I can't be a doctor and advise patients to change their lifestyle/eating habits if mine are garbage. Secondly I am having some GI problems and have found that I cannot even tolerate some foods. It seems that gluten is a trigger, and in a couple of weeks I am heading to the doctor to get it checked out. But. I think now is a really good time to clean up my diet and let my GI tract heal. 

I'm really excited to get started with you guys!

Is there a way to find/get added to the Facebook page?

Thanks! 

10 minutes ago, AdriB said:

Is there any harm in not preparing the foods that are non-compliant for dinner? It definitely won't hurt your gf's daughter to eat whole foods. If she doesn't like it or wants something in addition, could she learn to prepare them herself? It doesn't seem unreasonable if you are not forcing her to follow the plan outside of the food you prepare for dinner.

Our boys understand that they will eat what we prepare. Granted, we try to avoid things we know they legitimately dislike (fried chicken for example). They are now at the age (7 & 10) that if they want something other than what is planned they have to help prepare it.

I know every family dynamic is different, just stinks you have to prepare foods that you will not be eating.

That would definitely be ideal. However, with the load of homework she has along with the 3 sports she plays, she simply doesn't have time to be in the kitchen. My girlfriend doesn't cook whatsoever (you should of SEEN the amount of processed food in her freezer when we met!) plus she works nights as well. I think what will have to be safest for me is to cook a big batch of rice or pasta (the rice is my weakness, not a big fan of pasta) at the start of the week and just put it in the fridge for her. Everything else should be fine, she just won't eat the veggies I cook, except for green beans and spinach. Potatoes are a good option, as she WILL eat those. 

Thanks for your help! I appreciate it!

Hello,

I'll be starting my Whole 30 tomorrow as well.  I'm recently retired (age mid-60s).  Have been on many programs and diets over the years.  I had lap band surgery in 2005.  I've gained most of the 50 lbs I lost due to band restriction (hard to eat foods such as protein due to density) and eating non-compliant foods too much instead (sugary treats and lattes go down well, but healthy foods--protein, veg, fruit not so well).  I may need to deviate slightly as I have a hard time eating breakfast due to the band (e.g., very small breakfast and a snack mid morning). I've also signed up for the daily emails and the "Real Plan" Whole 30 meal planner.  I'm hoping this will help my Hashimoto's thyroiditis and associated symptoms, joint pain, fatigue, brain fog and, of course, hope to lose some weight as well.

Will do shopping for 1/2 a week and see how much I use before shopping for the rest of the week.  Don't know if my spouse and daughter will eat the Whole 30 plan.

Hi all!  I am starting 10/17 too!  Over the last year, I have lost abt 25 lbs and gotten into a consistent workout routine. However, I have developed Hashimotos and am hoping to get my thyroid levels in check without the meds. I also realllllly want to drop my sugar cravings and stop relying on food for a "treat" or "stress relief." 

Over the past year, I have found meal prep to be key! I am a working single mom of 3 young boys, so cooking time is scarce. On Sunday, I'll make breakfast and lunch for the week, as well as prep dinners (any chopping, marinades, etc...). But weekends are usually not very successful!!! I definitely need help there!

4 minutes ago, Debbie425 said:

Hello,

I'll be starting my Whole 30 tomorrow as well.  I'm recently retired (age mid-60s).  Have been on many programs and diets over the years.  I had lap band surgery in 2005.  I've gained most of the 50 lbs I lost due to band restriction (hard to eat foods such as protein due to density) and eating non-compliant foods too much instead (sugary treats and lattes go down well, but healthy foods--protein, veg, fruit not so well).  I may need to deviate slightly as I have a hard time eating breakfast due to the band (e.g., very small breakfast and a snack mid morning). I've also signed up for the daily emails and the "Real Plan" Whole 30 meal planner.  I'm hoping this will help my Hashimoto's thyroiditis and associated symptoms, joint pain, fatigue, brain fog and, of course, hope to lose some weight as well.

Will do shopping for 1/2 a week and see how much I use before shopping for the rest of the week.  Don't know if my spouse and daughter will eat the Whole 30 plan.

I think we were writing at the same time!  I'm also hoping to alleviate Hashimotos!!  

Archived