Seriously bummed....need advice

I started my Whole30 journey on October 1st and feel I have done very well in sticking with the program. However I have broken the cardinal rule and stepped on the scale a couple of times and noticed that I have actually gained a couple of pounds. I don't understand how this can be? The only thing I can think of is that I am having too much fruit and too many nuts. My husband is "loosely" doing it with me and he loses 3 lbs a day.....

I know this isn't a weight loss diet and I know someone that has been extremely successful with this plan and I just feel a bit defeated.

I also ate out for lunch yesterday and even though the salad dressing was balsamic vinagrette I suspect there was some sugar in it. Do i need to start over? And I know that I am battling sugar demons.....i also want a beer but i know how well this program / lifestyle can work so I just need to get my mind right and get back in the game. How do i battle my sugar and snacking demons? I feel like I'm going to turn into a piece of meat. Help.

I know others will say, and it's true, that your weight can fluctuate at least a few pounds depending on water retention and a multitude of other factors. I found it hard in the beginning to avoid the scale also, there is a great article on this site that lists better ways to measure your health and progress. If I were you I'd bookmark it and read it first every time you get the urge to step on the scale.

I also feel your frustration. My husband isn't doing this with me but if he was, I know he'd be losing weight quickly, he is just that type. Oh the unfairness of it all...

Finally, I will say that I believe most of my 5 lb weight loss on W30 occurred during the second half. Weight loss happens faster when your hormones catch up to your new and improved habits, that can take awhile.

Oh and on the salad dressing, I recommend asking the server before eating it, but had a similar experience where they told me there was no sugar and I was thinking it tasted really sweet. I realized that it was my taste buds adjusting, BV is actually sweet! I had a similar experience with tea as well.

This is PRECISELY the reason we tell you not to go near the scale. You are on day 13 of a looong process that involves much changing in your body and in your mind. Right now, your hormones are all over the place, your gut bacteria is completely changing, your stress levels are a bit high...and that's not taking into account any other personal processes. Your weight will fluctuate throughout the 30 days. Water retention, the fit of your clothes...so many things will change in both directions!

Now, you have the added stress of knowing what happened when you got on the scale, and you're adding to the issue (cortisol can keep you from losing fat). You've set yourself back emotionally to looking at this as a diet instead of a lifestyle change.

Have your husband (or another trusted person) hide the scale from you. Seriously.

Toss the scale in the trash and don't look back. I was a daily, multiple times some days, scale stepper. It's so freeing to know I will not step on it for 30 days. I'm almost done.. day 27 and after the first few days, I didn't care about the scale and it never crossed my mind. I thought my husband would have to hide it but I honestly didn't care. I admit I am curious to see what it says on Day 31 but I know I've lost weight because my clothes are so much looser but I don't have that option and it's really freeing.

Thank you. I know that you are right. It forced me to re-focus and commit even more than I already was. Part of me wanted to throw in the towel and say the heck with it and head straight to the bar for a cold delicious beer but I refuse to give up so easily. I am more than a number and I want - really really really want to change my life. Thanks for the tough love.

I realized this before Whole30 that when I wasn't able to weigh myself for periods of time (vacation, busy, etc) I was less stressed, therefore happier, ate healthier and usually ended up lighter, which I would find out when I would then hop on the scale. Just get rid of it, like sugar, it is an unnecesary evil.

Toss your scale out. I'm on day 29 and I weighed myself out of sheer curiosity. As it turns out I have not lost any weight (or so it seems) but my clothes fit so much better, they're downright big on me, and everything is...firmer somehow. I couldn't be more thrilled with how I FEEL and how I look, to be honest. But the numbers on the scale don't reflect that. So don't pay any attention to them, it's a weird external way to measure yourself when you could use this time to look inwards. Also, I think I've gained more muscle mass (not through exercise mind you..) simply because I eat more protein and muscle weigh more than fat, so there you go. Could be what is happening to you too. Oh, and my temperature run higher now too - it's called thermogenesis and it's a pretty fascinating thing! There are so many other cool things to focus on now than the silly scale. Enjoy!!

Archived