Overeating

I think I'm overeating. I'm 12 days in and I'm a little concerned that I'm simply reinforcing bad eating habits (but with clean food). Are there clear guidelines on number of meals each day or time between meals/snacks? Has anyone else struggled with this during their Whole30? I'm beginning to think that the reason I feel sluggish even though I'm on day 12 is because I'm eating too much. Thoughts?

Jillian-

Our general suggestion is 3 meals a day (+pre and post workout if that applies) and then snacks between IF you feel hungry. I've noticed that most people grab a snack in the afternoon. Are you eating without feeling hungry or until you feel more than satisfied?

• Moderators

Another guideline is 4-5 hours between meals. I've managed to shift to eating 3 meals per day most days by making those meals substantial with an emphasis on protein. I drink a lot of herbal tea and I think that helps keep me from feeling as if I need a snack between meals.

Thanks for the helpful input. I find that if I eat until I'm satisfied, I'll be hungry and shaky a few hours later. It becomes a little frustrating. So partly, I think I sometimes overeat to avoid the shaky, low-blood sugar slump. I usually don't begin to eat unless I'm actually hungry. However, after I start I sometimes keep eating because it tastes good and I almost can't tell when I've had "enough". I usually have 3 meals a day with plenty of protein, fat and veggies around 7am, noon and 6:30p. I'll often have a small piece of fruit before lunch and another snack around 3p (usually another piece of fruit and 2T of almond butter).

I'll pick up some compliant herbal tea tomorrow. I'll also bring some homemade spicy ginger tea with me. I'll try to skip the morning snack and up the veggies at meal times. I'm glad that I've been able to stick with it for 12 days. I now need to step it up a notch for the second half.

Thanks again!

How much water do you generally drink? I find that staying well hydrated helps keep the hunger at bay between meals. I'm sure that the added tea will help. Also, how is your sleep? A lack of sleep can mess with your appetite in a big way, especially if you are chronically sleep deprived.

I have been struggling with this as well. A couple of things that helped me were...

1. Drink lots of water

2. Learn that it is ok to feel hungry. :)

3. Make sure that every meal has protein and fat

4. Write what you are eating down, this way you are aware of how much/what you are eating

5. Chew your food and eat slowly

Thanks, all! I have been drinking more water and hot tea and sticking to 3 meals a day and a snack. The first day I experienced quite a bit of anxiety after lunch. I rode it out and then experienced a very nice calm until dinner time. I'm learning to just let myself feel anxious - if possible I exercise when I feel this way. I've stuck to this the past 3 days and I'm feeling much better - and more calm overall.

Jillian, this is entirely normal during someone's first Whole30. Your body is getting used to going without the energy source it's used to running on (sugar) and figuring out how to stabilize your energy needs with a new energy source (fat). Since you're eating really good food, and still in the most transitionary time, I wouldn't worry about how much you are eating. The only exception? If you're eating too many "rewarding" foods like nuts, nut butters, dried fruits or other fruit/nut-based snacks as a way to keep cravings, boredom or anxiety at bay.

It's also entirely probable that this is also impacted by your brain, telling you you're hungry when you're really just craving - or, frankly, just conditioned to having a "little something" after lunch. So, again, be patient with yourself and ride it out. You can't undo years of habits in just 30 days, but know that if you're following general Whole30 guidelines, there's nothing you can do to hurt yourself during this time period.

Remember one thing: The Whole30 is just the beginning. You have your whole life to dial this in. It's okay that you haven't figured it all out by Day 12. You're doing great - just keep up the good work, that's all you have to worry about.

Melissa

Wow... lots of good nuggets in this thread... it's okay to be hungry... drink lots of water... watch the reward foods but don't obsess over the timing/amount of the healthy foods it will all work out in time.. it's normal because my source of energy is changing.. makes sense...

Great thread!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for posting this Jillian. I am on day 7 and experiencing the same thing. I was feeling pretty lousey yesterday after work, came home and gorged on some nuts (I almost went through an entire bag of pistachios...), and then felt even lousier, obviously. Maybe that was my lesson to think of for next time I get that craving?

I have a hard time consuming enough protein and fat in one meal to sustain me to the next meal, without snacking, or with minimal snacking. Previously, I was more of an eat all day kind of person. So I have been turning to nuts and raw veggies as my go-to snack for cravings and having on hand at work for when I need a pick-me-up. However, the nuts are giving me a stomach ache and I can hardly keep enough veggies in my house without running to the market every other day. Any other suggestions? I drink a TON of water, and tea was really helpful last night too!

I too have issues with nuts/seeds. I have cut them out completely.

Snacks can be mini meals. No need to go out of your way to put together something special, just make a bit more of what you are already making.

You can try Applegate Farms deli meat wrapped around avocado slices. This is very filling and yummy.

Also, I REALLY like Primal Pacs. http://www.primalpacs.com/

Archived