Stok cold brew

kellybelly

Here is the ingredient list: 

Coffee (Filtered Water, Coffee Extract), Natural Flavor (with Natural Coffee Flavor).

Some extracts are obtained by steam extraction but some through solvents like alcohol, so it would depend on the type of extract is used. 

@Tom Denham I meant to ask the company if their coffee extract used alcohol, since that would be the deciding factor in whether or not it's compliant. Seems Kelly understood what I meant. You tell people all the time to ask each specific restaurant what they use to cook eggs (for example) so why would this be any different? 

• Moderators

When it comes to an ingredient list, you do not need to investigate possible ingredients within ingredients. The product, based upon the ingredients listed by JenBoo, is Whole30-compliant.

When you are in a restaurant, food might be fried in soybean oil, peanut oil, or corn oil without any note in the menu about it. So you have to ask about cooking oils in a restaurant. 

If alcohol is not in the ingredients list, I would take is as Whole30 compliant but by all means investigate further if you wish.  I say this because kombucha without any additives is allowed and it does have trace amounts of alcohol due to the fermentation process. This would be my take on it anyway but I am not a moderator.

@kellybelly  This doesn't answer the question about this particular cold brew brand, but I make coffee concentrate (cold brew) just using the  ratio of coffee beans to water  found here: http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/how-to-cold-brew-coffee-recipe 

Then just dilute to water to taste. It takes some time, and it is not as convenient as something you can pick up (until it’s been made), but I find it tastes good. I typically do a double batch with two cups of ground coffee.

Good luck with finding more information about Stok!

4 hours ago, kruddock said:

If alcohol is not in the ingredients list, I would take is as Whole30 compliant but by all means investigate further if you wish.  I say this because kombucha without any additives is allowed and it does have trace amounts of alcohol due to the fermentation process. This would be my take on it anyway but I am not a moderator.

Alcohol is generally not listed in the ingredients if they're listing an extract. One of the Larabars is non-compliant because of vanilla extract. Melissa's even said that the amount of alcohol you'd get if you were to put a drop of vanilla extract into your coffee is laughable, but a rule is a rule and it's not allowed. 

• Moderators
On 10/19/2016 at 0:35 PM, kellybelly said:

@Tom Denham but if the coffee extract is made with alcohol it wouldn't be compliant correct?

The ingredient list includes everything that matters to the Whole30. If there is no alcohol listed in the ingredient list, the product is Whole30-compliant even if the extract is made with alcohol.

To put this into context... Sniffing your neighbor's beer means you have some exposure to alcohol, but that would not count against your Whole30. An extract made with alcohol that was not required by law to list alcohol as an ingredient would mean you might have a sniff of exposure. Nothing to worry about. 

Not sure about all the other extracts, I was only addressing vanilla extract specifically because I know it was mentioned.  I would ask about any of the other similar baking extracts, if you need to know. As for the coffee, I have never seen anywhere that cold brew coffee is made using alcohol and I don't see it on their website either.  If alcohol is not in the ingredients list (which I think they have to list by law), then I would take it as being Whole30 compliant.

• 2 months later...

The ingredients to vanilla extract are often listed like: "vanilla bean extractives in water and alcohol." Thus alcohol is actually a part of the ingredient list. Like Tom said multiple times, look at the actual ingredient list. If alcohol is not actually listed (this cold brew that was being discussed), it is ok. But since alcohol is a specific ingredient in vanilla extracts (all that I have seen), vanilla extract is not ok as alcohol is listed on the ingredients.

On October 20, 2016 at 5:48 PM, Tom Denham said:

The ingredient list includes everything that matters to the Whole30. If there is no alcohol listed in the ingredient list, the product is Whole30-compliant even if the extract is made with alcohol.

To put this into context... Sniffing your neighbor's beer means you have some exposure to alcohol, but that would not count against your Whole30. An extract made with alcohol that was not required by law to list alcohol as an ingredient would mean you might have a sniff of exposure. Nothing to worry about. 

The closest thing I could find to a rule on coffee extract was, "However, avoid coffees flavored with extracts (usually alcohol based)" (Page 71 of The Whole30 guide)

So if it is discovered that the "Coffee Extract" contains alcohol, then Stok Cold Brew is off-limits. Judging by the fact OP could only find coffee extracts with alcohol in them, it's safe to say it will probably end up being non-compliant. 

When I have something with vanilla extract in it, it doesn't say there's alcohol. However, since extracts often use alcohol, I can make the educated decision to not eat the product since it in against Whole30 guidelines.

I am infuriated that a moderator is giving advice so clearly against the program guidelines, and needs to be corrected by members of the community.

Vanilla extract is specifically called out as being non-compliant in the book, like carrageenan or other additives. Alcohol is specifically called out as non-compliant. But "extract" does not equal alcohol. But people can choose to avoid all additives if they want.

What otherwise compliant foods are people finding that have vanilla extract in it? I've never come across it.

Edited for some content.

Archived