Ok, fall is the best time of year food wise for me... usually. My husband and I (and 2 toddlers) love fall festivities. The pumpkins, apple cider, pumpkin spice EVERYTHING. I'm on day 6 and I've wanted to quit every day so far. I would like to lose weight but, allergies, asthma, chronic pain are big motivators for the whole30. My husband is doing it with me and he's supportive of everything I do. Including me saying I want to quit "if you want to we can". Any advice?

• Administrators

Advice for not quitting? Or advice for seasonal foods? Sorry, I don't understand what you're looking for? 

If you are trying not to quit, refer to your list above of reasons why you are doing this, remember that it's only 30 days and push on. If you are looking for advice around "seasonal foods" as your subject line refers to, you'll have to be more specific about what you want? There are a tonne of seasonal foods that don't include sugar, dairy, junk. Stews, soups, roasted winter squash, tea, coffee w/ pumpkin spice in it, apples in a salad. 

• Moderators

Why are you wanting to quit? Are you hungry? Don't like the food? Tired of cooking? Tell us more and we can try to help you find solutions. 

For the food, maybe find a whole30 compliant pumpkin soup or just roast pumpkin or butternut or acorn squash or this velvety butternut squash: http://meljoulwan.com/2011/11/17/velvety-butternut-squash/ 

Add a bit of pumpkin pie spice to your coffee if you want, just check the ingredients but you should be able to find some that's compliant. 

I made this and it was delishious and fall-like

http://paleoleap.com/beef-stuffed-butternut-squash/

This one is  super good and a little sweet

I replaced baccon with macadamia nuts and ground pork with ground beef because that was what I had on hand.  Am sure it would be delishious as written also:

http://paleomg.com/stuffed-double-pork-sage-baked-apples/

Havn't made this yet but will try it soonish:

http://gutsybynature.com/2013/10/04/spiced-apple-butternut-squash-soup/

I really wish I had a recipe for it. But pumpkin curry is my jam! I used to get it all the time at a Thai place. It may not be compliant the way they make it but I would looooove to make it so. 

I also love butternut squash in soups. 

And since garam masala is essentially Indian pumpkin pie spice, I add it to EVERYthing.  Like spaghetti sauce? It brings out the natural sweetness of the tomatoes and it's just a little different. So good. 

Wanting to quit I feel is normal. But remember the list of goals is good to go back to. You can do this. Fall will still be around when you're done (but Christmas starts butting in and I get frustrated because my bday is not winter and suddenly everything is Christmas! >:( but really that's small potatoes) and this may be a fun time to experiment with the fun fall flavors. 

Karen, this pumpkin curry looks like it could be compliant if you switched out the butter for ghee or coconut oil! (PS, such a fabulous idea, pumpkin curry is AMAZING).

Loen, hang in there. It's just one fall season. When your 30 days are over, you could always make your own pumpkin-y, apple-y, fall foods if you so choose to. But you chose to commit to this and you totally owe it to yourself to see it through. I know the temptation can be hard, but take it from someone who used to be in the same place as you - I was a PSL junkie and would always bake all kinds of apple cider donuts and pumpkin loaves etc. But I'm not on the Whole 30 currently, although I have gone through three of them, and the only thing I have had all season is one small apple cider. Everything else just isn't tempting anymore; you can do so many compliant and healthy things with pumpkin/apples/fall flavors that I don't even think it's "worth it" to eat most of those foods. You will be in such a better place to make a decision about whether it's worth it for you or not if you stick it out for 30 days. Hang in there!!

Archived