Carb advice?

I'm starting my first whole30 next week and am not sure how many carbs (potatoes /sweet potatoes) I should incorporate into my eating plan. I have about 40 lb to list so don't want to overdo the carbs. But I'm worried about headaches and weakness without. Any recommendations for me? Do you eat carbs with every meal? How much? Thanks!!! 

Thanks @SugarcubeOD. I didn't realize that. That's a good place to start. Hard to imagine it'll be enough but I'll start with that. What symptoms in the first week would tell me I need to increase carbs?  I'm assuming I'll have withdrawal symptoms ... how will I know if my headaches and any other symptoms are signs of normal withdrawal  or mean I need more carbs? 

• Moderators

For many people, once they get past the first week or so, a fist-sized serving of starchy vegetable each day, plus some in post-workout meals if they are working out, is enough. People who tend to need more tend to be those who are very active (for instance, having a job that has them up moving around all day, or working out multiple times a day), people who are prone to depression or anxiety, or women who are nursing, pregnant, or in the week or so leading up to their period.

Headaches generally only last the first few days. They can also be a result of not getting enough water and not salting your food, so be sure to pay attention to those things as well. Normally people figure out they need more carbs when they've been on Whole30 for a week or more, they've ensured they're eating enough food in general and in particular enough fat, and feel they are still always exhausted, not recovering from workouts, or are feeling more depressed or anxious than usual.

This Whole30 timeline is mostly humorous, but does give you a pretty good idea of some of what you might expect over the course of 30 days. Be sure you make each of your meals meet the template, and while we encourage you to try to eat three meals a day with no snacking, if you are truly hungry, especially as you figure out how much you need to eat, go ahead and eat a mini meal of protein, fat, and vegetables, or at least two of the three.

Archived