If/Then Help Needed

guestdvp

I'm new to the Forum but it looks like a great resource so wanted to join today!  I completed my first Whole30 a few weeks ago and felt amazing....and learned so much!  Didn't even want to go off...but then hit a rough patch and fell off the wagon last week.  Have learned to identify some of my key triggers, and want to go back and work on my If/Then statements again to prepare myself for not loosing all of my momentum during this reintroduction.  I did a search for that but couldn't find anything.  Do you know where I can find good examples of "Then" options?  I need some help brainstorming appealing and healthy solutions.  Thanks!

IF someone suggests going to the pub, THEN I say thank you but I'm already going to an art gallery/museum/cinema.

IF someone offers me cake (biscuits/chocolate/tequila, etc) THEN I say that normally I'd love to but is it ok if I say no?  (without giving a reason) OR I say that I'm working on not being such a pushover, so I'm learning to say no to beautiful people bearing scrumptious gifts.

IF I find myself craving junk when I'm bored and/or watching TV, THEN I will knit/paint/go for a walk/[insert other distracting activity here] until the craving goes away.

That's the only one I've come up with so far for myself. The new book, Food Freedom Forever, dives into IF/THEN and other strategies in depth - I highly recommend it! Still in my Whole30 at the moment, but I've read through the book, and think it will be a big help once I enter the next phase.

5 hours ago, guestpvd said:

I'm new to the Forum but it looks like a great resource so wanted to join today!  I completed my first Whole30 a few weeks ago and felt amazing....and learned so much!  Didn't even want to go off...but then hit a rough patch and fell off the wagon last week.  Have learned to identify some of my key triggers, and want to go back and work on my If/Then statements again to prepare myself for not loosing all of my momentum during this reintroduction.  I did a search for that but couldn't find anything.  Do you know where I can find good examples of "Then" options?  I need some help brainstorming appealing and healthy solutions.  Thanks!

I am on Day 4 of Round 3 of the Whole 30 and just yesterday I received a copy of Food Freedom Forever in the mail.  I've just read the first couple of chapters, but it sounds to me like this book would answer a lot of questions for you about going forward with this lifestyle change. 

• Administrators

You've received some good suggestions. The If/Then is so personal though, what works for me might not work for you. But some further examples:

IF I find myself home alone unexpectedly and want to eat all the things, THEN I will brew a cup of tea/take a bath/go on Instagram/call a friend/walk the dog/pet the dog/smoosh my face into the dog (the dog factors in a lot for me).

IF someone at work brings candy/cake/pizza/xyz, THEN I will simply say "No Thank You" because I am honoring my committment to myself and it's no one else's business why I don't prefer the item right now.  IF the person persits, THEN I will simply say "Really, no. Thank you" and move on/change the conversation/go to the bathroom etc.

IF it's 9 at night and I'm bored, lonely, bummed, THEN I will go to bed because sleep can decrease brain dopamine which is the reward-seeking hormone. Also, IF I am seeking at 9pm at night, THEN chances are I'm probably under slept. 

IF I find myself at a long meeting, stuck in traffic, THEN I will just understand that I may be hungry but I won't die and nothing terrible will happen.

IF I find myself at meal time with nothing prepped, THEN I will put whatever compliant things I can find on a plate and call it good enough.

So........what are your key triggers that you identified? And what sort of "THEN" statements have you figured out for yourself?

thank you for your recommendations!  and ladyshanny...we just got a puppy last week so some of your ideas are timely :)

my weakest point is 3pm.  i've been working hard all day at my desk job, i don't feel like focusing anymore, i'm getting a bit of the munchies, and a walk or a cup of tea just don't seem to do the trick.  will have to try something else today.  and i continue to welcome suggestions if anyone else has the same challenge and has figured it out!

Yesterday I stepped out of the office to read my book in the sunshine for 10-15 minutes, because I was sleepy and couldn't focus. Maybe something like that? A podcast, or a favorite song or two, while letting your mind wander, or walking? I'm a knitter, so I might turn to knitting in the future, somewhere away from my desk. Even journaling (again, away from your desk) may help you get some of the distractions out of your head.

Good luck!

Archived