Bones

Kirsteen

I found a really great stall at the farmer's market. They raise all their own cattle, outdoors, grassfed and slaughter and butcher them without having to transport them for miles. The farmer was a mine of information on slow cooking cheaper cuts and how to get the best value. He has agreed that if I email him before the next market, he'll bring me whatever bones I ask for. He doesn't normally bring any because no one buys them nowadays. He seemed quite sad at this.

The only thing is, I'm not sure what to ask for. I've never actually used bones (shameful, I know). My mother used to make soup with hough and a marrow bone but that was about 50 years ago :)

So what do I ask him to bring and how much? It's only on every 2 weeks. I have space in my fridge but not much room in the freezer. I'm really excited by this, but clueless :mellow:

Yeah, marrow bones are the way to go..by the way..you are so lucky to find him. Marrow bones are also incredible roasted in the oven and then you scoop out and eat the marrow with a spoon. Sigh. Can you make a batch of broth and put it into containers? One container for the fridge and the rest can go in the freezer?

Archived