As someone who had Graves disease, I would never rely on any diet to put the disease into remission. While Whole30 may be helpful for medical conditions, it is not a substitute for proper treatment.

Graves disease can have very serious side effects and I would urge anyone with the disease to work with an expert to both diagnose and treat the disease. 

(I took radioactive iodine. This decision was based on many factors, including my uncertainty as to whether I would continue to have health insurance. I knew that it was likely I would need thyroid replacement therapy and I do continue very successfully with thyroid replacement therapy, again regulated and monitored carefully by an endocrinologist.)

• 2 weeks later...

My sister has Graves and has been completely off her medication (in remission although she still tests positive for antibodies) for years while on a Whole 30 (paleo) style diet.

Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms? is a good book about another autoimmune thyroid disease, Hashimotos, but the author (Datis Kharrazian) talks a lot about nutrition, which would be applicable to Graves as well.  If you have an autoimmune thyroid disease, he says that the immune system, not the thyroid gland, is the target for therapy.  Going gluten-free is one of his first suggestions.

He also talks about the importance of the thyroid in general.  Most of the "experts"/doctors want the easy fix (to just get rid of the thyroid); my sister rejected that course and she is much happier now still having her thyroid!

26 minutes ago, krenzel16 said:

My sister has Graves and has been completely off her medication (in remission although she still tests positive for antibodies) for years while on a Whole 30 (paleo) style diet.

Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms? is a good book about another autoimmune thyroid disease, Hashimotos, but the author (Datis Kharrazian) talks a lot about nutrition, which would be applicable to Graves as well.  If you have an autoimmune thyroid disease, he says that the immune system, not the thyroid gland, is the target for therapy.  Going gluten-free is one of his first suggestions.

He also talks about the importance of the thyroid in general.  Most of the "experts"/doctors want the easy fix (to just get rid of the thyroid); my sister rejected that course and she is much happier now still having her thyroid!

I'm happy for your sister. Graves can go into remission and one may not always be able to show causality. I'd caution anyone with the disease to be monitored closely no matter what treatment they choose. 

On 10/30/2016 at 5:56 PM, madbird said:

That's amazing Karenza is that after 30 days or has she been on it a while? :)

She has been on a paleo-like diet for about one and a half years (we do eat dairy but mostly follow Whole 30).  I'm not sure how long she has been in remission, but she is completely off Methimazole and has been for awhile.  She sees an endocrinologist for Graves (and also diabetes) and they test her antibodies maybe once or twice a year.  She is very glad she ignored the medical advice to zap her thyroid.  Graves disease is an autoimmune disease, not a thyroid disease, so it's the immune system that needs to be addressed, and the best way to support your immune system is through a healthy gut with a diet like Whole 30 (IMO).

Thanks so much for posting this! I also have Grave's, and have resisted advice from each new endo to have radioactive iodine treatment (endocrinologists don't stick around Central Indiana for long before moving on, it seems; I'm on my 4th doc since being diagnosed). 

I'm currently on a low dose (2.5 mg daily) of Methimazole, and hopeful for good lab results after completing my first Whole30 by the end of the year.

Laura

Also, I wanted to add, my sister gave me her lab results.  For her two tests prior to going on paleo, her TSI tests (antibodies indicating Grave's disease) were 493 and 555 (the lab range shows anything over 140 as being marked high).  She just had her antibodies retested (after about a year and a half on paleo), and they are down to 221.  So they are still high, but much better :)

• 2 months later...
On 21/10/2016 at 9:29 PM, ArtFossil said:

As someone who had Graves disease, I would never rely on any diet to put the disease into remission. While Whole30 may be helpful for medical conditions, it is not a substitute for proper treatment.

Graves disease can have very serious side effects and I would urge anyone with the disease to work with an expert to both diagnose and treat the disease. 

(I took radioactive iodine. This decision was based on many factors, including my uncertainty as to whether I would continue to have health insurance. I knew that it was likely I would need thyroid replacement therapy and I do continue very successfully with thyroid replacement therapy, again regulated and monitored carefully by an endocrinologist.)

Do you just troll people?

8 hours ago, Karma Way said:

Do you just troll people?

Hi @Karma Way & welcome to the forums.

ArtFossil is by no means a troll, and is a valued member of the community here.

As far as I can see she is just sharing her experience on a subject she cares about on a personal level just as many people do across these boards, and all over the internet. You may not be in agreement with her opinion, and have a differing one of our own, but that's what makes the world such an interesting place...!

I do hope you will continue to post and share your experiences too, going forward.

Hi there, great I was wondering how to reach a moderator! Yep maybe she is but there are ways of saying stuff especially when it's easy to offend someone who has hyperthyroidism anyway as I suffer from paranoia and anxiety. Just a little thought of being less 'forward and abrupt' maybe you could mention this? Plus she totally misread my post! Much appreciated! I came here to share my great experience not to be shot down on my post!

thanks

I think as you use the forums more and more you'll see that that is just her posting style - some people here are fluffy, others shoot from the hip (me included!) - plus it's hard to infer emotion etc in text. Honestly, I don't think there was any offence intended.

Just as a side note, since you're prone to anxiety make sure you;re eating at least a fist sized serving of starchy veg daily - probably more - and if you can eat it along side some oily fish like mackerel or salmon, even better. And don't skimp on the fat - you need it for brain health, for energy, and for transporting valuable nutrients throughout the body, but mostly for sanity!! Fat is your friend here....

Hope this helps :)

• 1 year later...

Hello. I just cracked open the Whole 30 book and saw Graves on the list of inflammation related diseases. I was diagnosed in February 18. I have an appointment to zap my thyroid next month, but am not thrilled with the idea. I’ve decided to give W30 a chance first. I don’t care for my endo dr anyway.  Thinking I’ll give it 30 then see new dr to see where my #s are and id there’s an improvement.

Question-Was your sister on meds while she did W30? Iam allergic to Methamazole so am on PTU which is an awful drug that ruins your kidneys. Hence them wanting to zap me. But if there is even a slim chance that I can control it with my diet, I think it’s worth a shot. Can always get zapped if no affect. 

• 6 months later...

Archived