Starting Monday, 10/24- looking for support group

CristinaV

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, FightingHashi said:

I truly appreciate all the support!!! I'm down to about 10min of my fasting test...STARVING, feeling nauseous and completely foggy brained right now. Looking at all the food everyone's posting is making me grateful for the good foods we've been eating and if you're ever feeling deprived of certain foods, do a meat diet for a day and then you'll be begging for veggies :)  I'm supposed to do this same type of test in the next few days, but I'm not sure I can handle it again.  I'll have to chat with the doctor.

Any how, with this testing I wasn't thinking about my meals ahead this morning. I do know I'm about to have some egg roll in a bowl very soon and for dinner I believe I was making some Mediterranean meal I found online that I can't even think to know what it was right now. WOW, I need food! LOL

So I think we're on day 12...so we're almost HALF way. Keep up the good work!

WAY TO GO!! 

3 hours ago, kimmiann1202 said:

Thanks for the reminder about the chicken and broccoli trick, @snowflower. I forget to use it in the moment!

Today's my San Francisco trip. I researched a few restaurants and other things to do in SF besides eat and drink to enjoy the city. I also stocked up on nut butter packets, apple sauce squeeze packs, nuts, dried mango, and pumpkin seeds for emergencies. Thanks for the encouragement yesterday, everyone. I'm still in and on day 10.

I'm so glad to hear all of the above! Looks like you have a beautiful day. On the train heading into the city myself. It's been raining (praise all things good) so the air is actually clean, too.

Part of my reason for doing a Whole 30 is to be better about cooking and bringing my own food so I don't have any restaurant recommendations. If you find somewhere awesome let me know. Enjoy your time in the city!

6 hours ago, tiglilygirl said:

@LeeLeeB I am just curious, but are you having a fat with each meal today. Your lunch and dinner don't mention any fat sources. 

Hi Tiglilygirl!  So with my salads I have olive oil, or almonds.  I made the ranch dressing from the whole30 recipe so sometimes I have that. 

Right now for the first time in a week - I feel really nauseous :(. For the last couple hours at work I'm feeling worse and worse.. ugh.  Not sure why. Maybe too much coffee..

This weekend is a food shopping weekend so I will stock up on avocados, cashews etc. 

• Moderators

Nuts are not an ideal fat source and if you're having stomach issues, you may want to consider removing them for a while. Our recommendation is a closed handful every other day at most (what's meant by limited on the list). Try more dressings, avocado, olives etc... instead of nuts and be sure that when you're adding fat, it's enough... that might help with the stomach issues. @leeleeb

Hi Everyone! I made it through the day. I ended up having to leave work after finishing my fast test. I ate my meal and I had just been without food too long and ended up with a migraine and a stomach ache. But I ate, took a nap and my migraine meds and I'm feeling better.  I ended up having breakfast for dinner as a quick fix and now I'm having some sweet potato bites (http://thenourishinghome.com/2014/10/roasted-herb-sweet-potato-bites/) which I love, as an add to dinner.  I feel like I really need to catch up on eating after the fasting. Hopefully tomorrow I'll wake up feeling much better.

Tomorrow will be good. It's my first challenge with having friends over for dinner.  I plan to make the family and our guests spaghetti because we'll have five kids here and adults. I'm going to make myself my own dish of Lasagna (http://thenourishinghome.com/2016/10/whole30-lasagna/) and anyone who wants to try it or have some can join me. It's an easy meal to make and I'll stay on track.  

I missed my crossfit today with not feeling well, but hopefully I'll be a little more mobile tomorrow and stay active enough to not feel bad about missing two days this week. 

Good note! My face is really clear right now. I'm not sure if it's correlated with my monthly or a good sign of the WHOLE30, but I'm hopeful it's because of the foods I'm eating. Never did I think I'd be dealing with acne in my 30's, but I don't know if it will ever go away.

Tomorrow's menu:

B: Two eggs, hashbrowns, carrots, strawberries

L: egg roll in a bowl leftover

D: Potato Lasagna (linked above)

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND EVERYONE! Thanks again for all the support today!

@maggie_h I wouldn't fret about the orange juice.  It's a much better option than cookies or crackers which could throw off your 30 straight days without!  And most likely was 100% juice if it was in one of little plastic cups with the peel off top.  That's what many hospitals and medical office's use in my experience.  It won't affect your reset in my opinion.

I slept amazing!  And got up before my alarm.  I've got a busy morning and afternoon, but am having my first date night this round.  We are going to Hugo's Frog Bar which I've been to before on Whole30 because it's easy for me to choose compliant items there.  They have oysters, which I'll definitely have with tobasco and lemon, maybe shrimp or crab cocktail (with tabasco and lemon), maybe a dry grilled steak, a salad with avocado and my smuggled in salad dressing.  I'm excited!  And only a little sad about not drinking wine with my oysters.

My daughter had a few pieces of Halloween candy and we were playing a game where I tried to guess what candy it was by smelling the empty wrapper with my eyes closed.  (This was my idea.  I wanted to smell them.)  My significant other came into the room in the middle of our game and was shocked and pleaded "Don't do that!" thinking it would encourage me to eat some.  But I didn't eat any.  I wasn't even tempted to eat any.  The smells were.....meh....not that enticing.  But I did go 3/3 on identifying by smell!  You know what smell does entice me.....http://meljoulwan.com/2013/01/02/paleo-sweet-potato-soup/ and I've got some in my freezer I can pull out anytime! 

Today:

Breakfast:  cincinnati chili with baked potato and ghee, veggie soup, coffee with coconut milk

Lunh:  Crispy Smashed Chicken, roasted butternut squash, raw veggie plate (carrots, celery, cucumbers, tomatoes. I have no lettuce left!) with ranch dressing

Dinner:  Hugo's! :D

Tomorrow is going to include a workout, grocery shopping, a nap, and lots of cooking! 

I had a rough day yesterday.  All compliant food sounded yucky and I wanted to quit.  I stuck it out and feel better today.

Yesterday-  b: 2 eggs and spinach 

L: went to smash burger with my husband and  had a Baja salad with a burger patty.  They cooked my burger without any butter and on the salad I left off bacon, cheese, and dressing but added extra guac.

D: purple potatoes and chicken with a coconut spicy sauce and balsamic green beans . 

Today I'm headed to the farmers market again.  Food choices will depend on what I find.

I added a compliant tumeric supplement and magnesium supplement last night . I slept for almost 10 hours and only woke up once (at my usual early work morning time).

Have a good weekend everyone ! 

So weird that this dialog box keeps popping up with a quote from someone else, even though I am not clicking quote and even closed the website and reopened - whatever.

I am feeling crappy today for a number of reasons.  Probably the most important one is that I realized that I've got this weird thing going on where I don't want to be "one of THOSE people" who prolongs a food inquisition when going out.  I probably screwed up last night after 12 perfect days by not being assertive enough (I did ask several questions and did let the server know I didn't want anything with sugar in it) but when my meal came and I was pretty sure there was sugar (in the coleslaw and the meat sauce) ,I just clammed up.  I didn't eat it all (thankful in this situation that DH is a pig and ate a good portion of my meal) but I also wasn't able to not eat any of it and wasn't willing to engage in "send it back".  

I felt crappy this morning and I have been trying to figure out if it is a bit of a crappy food hangover, which in itself is interesting to note since in the past I would have likely attributed it to eating or drinking too much, or just disappointed in myself that I couldn't at least just push it away or have asked questions.  

Back on the horse 100% today, even did some shopping (love having a great local farmstand in the neighborhood!) but in general - BLAHHHHHHHH!   BLECHHHHHH! Dagnabbit!

Oh, and where is anyone finding compliant kombucha?  I asked at the healthfood store in town and they said it is necessary for the fermentation process so not likely to find any without sugar.  

16 hours ago, LeeLeeB said:

8 hours ago, habanero said:

Oh, and where is anyone finding compliant kombucha?  I asked at the healthfood store in town and they said it is necessary for the fermentation process so not likely to find any without sugar.  

ALL kombucha needs sugar in the first ferment, so what you are looking for is sugar, honey, agave or other sugars added.  Check your ingredient label.  Some have fruit purees or fruit juice added, which I suppose are technically compliant, but they are very sweet.

I've been dealing with the respiratory crud.  My cough is driving me insane.  What can I take that is whole 30 compliant?

on a positive note: today is day 14!!!

breakfast :smoked salmon, spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes, and 2 eggs

lunch: chicken on spring greens and avocado 

supper: pork chop, cauliflower rice and squash.

were having fantastic weather in Minnesota which is so unusual so I plan to take the dogs for a hike in the woods.

Have a good day everyone.  Tomorrow we're half done.

Day 14-- ALMOST HALFWAY!!!

I've been feeling great & looking forward to all my meals--- has anyone else gotten a little sick of meat? I feel like I am eating too much of it. I just have been filling my plate up with more veggies and that helps. The egg roll in a bowl thing is great-- Had for dinner last night and felt so full afterwards, plus I love stretching a lb of ground meat into more than a meal for me and my husband-- I'm going broke with the organic stuff.

B-leftover egg roll filling

L-Not sure, probably a chicken salad with organic greens & tons of veggies

D-roasted acorn squash stuffed with Aidelli's chicken and apple sausage (& probably some other stuff too)

Tomorrow is my day off so it is food prep day. I plan on making a 'uge pot of roasted tomato & red pepper soup for the week

Any suggestions on sides with the soup?? I think it will miss it's grilled cheese dunker.... maybe a salad with tuna meatballs?

Happy Day 14!!!! Yesterday went well and I'm feeling even better today. I'm not sure if I'll be able to do the second breath test the doctor wanted, but I will eventually.  I was just thinking last night to stay positive, what's your one FAVORITE thing about this program? Mine is that there's no food portioning and no one is telling me how much I can eat. If I get hungry, I eat a healthy snack. I'm not counting calories or measuring my food or weighing food. To me, that's priceless and very helpful.

I broke a rule this weekend (SORRY, don't be bad like me!)...I got on the scale. I couldn't help it, I was noticing a flatter stomach and feeling good and wanted some encouragement. I was VERY HAPPY with my results and I will try my best to not do it again until day 30. With my hashimotos I have gained a pound a month for over 2yrs without fail, no matter what I ate or exercised. Not once has my scale gone down in over 2yrs. Once I became medicated 4 months ago when I was diagnosed, I was at least able to stop the increase on the scale, but I just plateaued and it would never go down.  This is a major victory for me, and although HEALTH overall is my main goal, the weight gain has been a struggle for me and now a pleasant surprise.

My face is still looking nice and clear. If it lasts another week, then I'll know it's food related. I do typically clear up for about a week during "that time of the month" and then it comes back again, so we shall see what happens. 

I'm about to begin my food planning for the week.  I think I'll go through my fridge and try to plan meals to quickly use up some veggies I have left over.

Today I'll have:

B: My usual (eggs and hashbrowns and a handful of carrots)

L: Leftover W30 Lasagna from last nights dinner - which went very well. Everyone else had spaghetti and bread and some even tried my W30 lasagna with me

D: We're cooking a roast with red potato, onion, carrots. And when I take the broth and turn it into gravy for the rest of the family, I'll just skip that on my plate.

WO: Rest day

Happy Day 14!  

It's a big cooking day for me.

Pre WO:  hard boiled egg, coffee with coconut milk

WO:  60 minute OTF

Post WO:  Veggie Soup with butternut squash, hard boiled egg, black coffee

Breakfast:  nothing, not hungry

Lunch: watercress soup http://nomnompaleo.com/post/136582211223/watercress-chicken-soup with an egg muffin http://nomnompaleo.com/post/7486819479/prosciutto-wrapped-mini-frittata-muffins  I've made the soup several times and LOVE it.  I double or triple the shitake mushrooms because they are so delicious.  The egg muffins are a first attempt, so I'll let you know how those turn out.

Dinner:  Cracklin' Chicken, cauli mash, green salad with olive oil dressing, http://nomnompaleo.com/post/74180911762/cracklin-chicken

I'm sleeping great and had a great NSV yesterday....my favorite riding boots were a cinch to zip up last night (usually I have to fight my pants and calves to get them zipped)

@snowflower I've not made those exact egg muffins, but I've made them tossing in various ingredients and they are great. Easy grab in the morning. I have a ton of veggies left over this week, I think I'll go prep egg muffins for the week's breakfasts. Adding the prosciutto sounds yummy!

That's Watercress soup looks good. I love asian food! I'm adding this to my weekly dinner list!!!

11 minutes ago, FightingHashi said:

what's your one FAVORITE thing about this program? Mine is that there's no food portioning and no one is telling me how much I can eat. If I get hungry, I eat a healthy snack. I'm not counting calories or measuring my food or weighing food. To me, that's priceless and very helpful.

I broke a rule this weekend (SORRY, don't be bad like me!)...I got on the scale.

I agree 100%....I LOVE this about Whole30.  No measuring, no tracking, just listening to my body.

Regarding the scale....I broke this rule during my first Whole30 and, while it excited and motivated me when I weighed myself (I think it was day 10) I was very disappointed on Day 31 when I had only lost 1 or 2 pounds since I had weighed on Day 10.   Just a heads up...this could happen to you.  I think focusing on the NSVs is key in feeling good and strong about the program from Day 1 through Day 30.  Think about why that number is important....why isn't "feeling good" and having a "flatter stomach" enough?  Have you read Food Freedom Forever yet??  I actually decided NOT to weigh myself before I started this Whole30 for all the reasons she discusses in that book.  It's not about the number on the scale.....It's about EVERYTHING else.  This has been hugely insightful to me this round and has made me feel stronger and better than ever. 

I hope this doesn't come across as being critical...I just want to encourage you to be proud and happy for reasons other than a number that means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

1 hour ago, snowflower said:

These are the best egg muffins I've ever had.  So stuffed with veggies and so yummy.  And the cherry tomatoes were a different and delicious addition.

FYI...I did line my muffin pan with parchment paper muffin cups first to make clean up easier and they worked great.  

2 minutes ago, snowflower said:

I agree 100%....I LOVE this about Whole30.  No measuring, no tracking, just listening to my body.

Regarding the scale....I broke this rule during my first Whole30 and, while it excited and motivated me when I weighed myself (I think it was day 10) I was very disappointed on Day 31 when I had only lost 1 or 2 pounds since I had weighed on Day 10.   Just a heads up...this could happen to you.  I think focusing on the NSVs is key in feeling good and strong about the program from Day 1 through Day 30.  Think about why that number is important....why isn't "feeling good" and having a "flatter stomach" enough?  Have you read Food Freedom Forever yet??  I actually decided NOT to weigh myself before I started this Whole30 for all the reasons she discusses in that book.  It's not about the number on the scale.....It's about EVERYTHING else.  This has been hugely insightful to me this round and has made me feel stronger and better than ever. 

I hope this doesn't come across as being critical...I just want to encourage you to be proud and happy for reasons other than a number that means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Thanks Snowflower! I haven't read it yet. I had just read "It starts with food" before doing this program. I know the scale is not the end all be all and I know I will get where I want to be Health wise, and at the end of the day even if the numbers stayed the same, but I felt better, that's all that matters to me. Before, I was just feeling sluggish and could feel the "heaviness" of my body, which I'm not feeling right now. I was always bloated and carrying extra weight. I will try to ignore the scale and I know I'm on the right track. Not feeling criticized at all. I knew I'd get some insight for posting my slip up. :) 

I'm reading a good book called The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg.  It was quoted in one of the first daily digest emails and I ordered it from Amazon Prime.  I think it's a great compliment to this process we are going through... so much of this is mental for me.  Definitely recommend this read!

We had visitors in from out of town + hosted a big pre-tailgate party at our apartment on Saturday.  I made TONS of non-compliant food (monkey bread, ham/egg/cheese sliders, chili dip, etc) and did not have a single taste.  That was a huge victory.  The hardest part was making my own separate meal and trying not to draw attention to myself.  I wasn't able to fit the template particularly well, but that was because of timing.

Saturday - Day 13:

B: leftover brisket + green beans (from night before - we went out to a BBQ dinner and I ordered in compliance with lots of questions)

L: scrambled eggs, fruit, nuts, veggies

D: stuffed pepper (beef, onion, zucchini, cauli rice, etc), carrots dipped in Whole 30 pesto

Sunday - Day 14:

B: 2 hardboiled eggs

L/pre-W: salmon hash (potatoes, salmon, dill) with 2 eggs overeasy (out to brunch - again asked a lot of questions and had to get some substitutions like olive oil for butter) , coffee w/ nutpods

90 minute OTF 

D/post-W: stir fry beef + veggies, big salad w/ veggies + Tessamaes zesty ranch (was thrilled to see that at my local grocery!)

On 11/5/2016 at 0:23 PM, habanero said:

I am feeling crappy today for a number of reasons.  Probably the most important one is that I realized that I've got this weird thing going on where I don't want to be "one of THOSE people" who prolongs a food inquisition when going out.  I probably screwed up last night after 12 perfect days by not being assertive enough (I did ask several questions and did let the server know I didn't want anything with sugar in it) but when my meal came and I was pretty sure there was sugar (in the coleslaw and the meat sauce) ,I just clammed up.  I didn't eat it all (thankful in this situation that DH is a pig and ate a good portion of my meal) but I also wasn't able to not eat any of it and wasn't willing to engage in "send it back".  

@habanero This has definitely been a struggle for me, too.  I have always judged "THOSE PEOPLE" who ask a million questions and ask for substitutions at restaurants.  It's been humbling to say the least. I try to do my research ahead of time and call/email the place with questions about specific items that way I can go in knowing what I can and cannot eat and don't feel that pressure upon ordering with everyone else at the table.

DAY 15 yeah!!!

It's all downhill from here. My emotions are evening out and I think that is a fantastic Non Scale Victory.  I'm still sick with a cold.  I asked yesterday but didn't really get a response.  Is there anything whole 30 approved that I can take for the cough and sore throat?  I've gargled with salt water.  Drank lemon water and applied quite a few essential oils.

I don't want to have to start over but I think my clients and coworkers would like it if I could talk above a whisper without coughing.

Thanks everyone! 

29 minutes ago, PaulaWala said:

DAY 15 yeah!!!

It's all downhill from here. My emotions are evening out and I think that is a fantastic Non Scale Victory.  I'm still sick with a cold.  I asked yesterday but didn't really get a response.  Is there anything whole 30 approved that I can take for the cough and sore throat?  I've gargled with salt water.  Drank lemon water and applied quite a few essential oils.

I don't want to have to start over but I think my clients and coworkers would like it if I could talk above a whisper without coughing.

Thanks everyone! 

What are your symptoms exactly? Is your cough dry or productive? Any congestion? Sinus or chest?  I may be able to offer some herbal remedies with that info.

Do you have access to fresh lemon balm? A hot infusion of that can be good for a sore throat. Dry lemon balm will also work. Cold marshmallow root infusions can be good for a sore throats, too. Marshmallow root steeped in cold water overnight. Marshmallow the plant not the sugar and gelatin cloud...

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 0:23 PM, habanero said:

I am feeling crappy today for a number of reasons.  Probably the most important one is that I realized that I've got this weird thing going on where I don't want to be "one of THOSE people" who prolongs a food inquisition when going out.  I probably screwed up last night after 12 perfect days by not being assertive enough (I did ask several questions and did let the server know I didn't want anything with sugar in it) but when my meal came and I was pretty sure there was sugar (in the coleslaw and the meat sauce) ,I just clammed up.  I didn't eat it all (thankful in this situation that DH is a pig and ate a good portion of my meal) but I also wasn't able to not eat any of it and

I know how you feel - I don't like to be THAT person either. I went out yesterday to Mellow Mushroom and while everyone was ordering pizzas, I ordered a greek salad, no feta or dressing. And I was at the end of the table, far away from where the waitress was so I had to kind of yell all my special requests. I really wanted some protein like shrimp or chicken, but didn't want to yell/ask a million requests about how it's made - sugar, butter, soy, spices, etc. so I just got extra avocado. I was starving a couple of hours later. Oh well. The lunch out was fun anyway!

Day 13 for me today. Almost halfway there! Just ate a huge breakfast of three eggs, tomatoes and guac. Yummy. Planning a few crockpot recipes this week that will hopefully last more than one meal. We had some ribs this weekend and used the rub from this recipe: https://paleopcos.wordpress.com/2014/02/26/oven-baked-pork-ribs-whole30-compliant/

Absolutely delicious! My husband put sauce on them for himself and the kids, but I ate them dry. This rub is going into our regular family rotation.

This weekend I had either Kombucha or LaCroix in a wine glass in place of my evening wine and was quite satisfied. Nice! I am feeling good and my pants are definitely fitting better, as are my bras. I'm convinced I was bloated, which is one of the reasons for starting this diet. Also, due to being weighed at a doctor's appt last week, I know that I've lost some weight so far, which I was also hoping for. I also just feel all around better. I bought a few Tessamae's dressings and am having fun trying them on different things. They are kind of oily so need to be shaken up really well. But they have so much flavor that you don't need much!

Here's a successful W30 week!

-Karen

DAY 16!

I wasn't able to check in over the weekend, too much football and lots of family members visiting. I was compliant, however, yesterday I struggled a lot! Yesterday (and this is the case for most of my Sundays in life) I felt snacky, and I really wanted a glass of wine and a piece of chocolate. I felt overweight and down on myself,  I admit I did eat more "compliant" snacks in between meals that I do during the week--I usually do not snack. I was feeling down on the process yesterday and I didn't sleep well last night. However, I am going to the gym more and I feel like I am putting on some muscle- this may be why I feel more heavy and broader. Do any of you notice your stomach feels more bloated for awhile (like days and days) if you start doing a lot of regular ab exercises? Who knows it may be a 'me' problem. 

I did a ton of meal prep-yesterday for the week. 

Food for today:

Breakfast: pork crumbled sausage, sweet potato hash and 1 egg cooked together in olive oil. 3 big olives with jalapeno, 1 small banana, and 1tsp almond butter. Still feeling hungry and snacky this AM. 2-3 cups of black coffee.

Lunch: homemade turkey sausage with onions and peppers, sliced sweet potatoes (baked in olive oil), tomato, 3 big olives with jalapeno, 1 small banana. http://thenourishinghome.com/2014/07/turkey-breakfast-sausage-patties/

Dinner: Premade Paleo Meal: chicken cacciatore with mixed veggies- cooked in olive oil. 3 big olives with jalapeno, small apple and kombucha. 

Happy Monday every one!!

Archived