Starting Monday, 10/24- looking for support group

CristinaV

Happy Day 15 done and in the books!  

B: tuna salad with mayo, olives, artichoke, pepper and the last tomato from my garden :(

Blueberries (craving and I haven't had more than a handful of servings of fruit this whole time)

L: shrimp/pork curry with lots of veg and cashews on top

D: steak and a pile'o'roasted veg

Still super wimpy with the moving.  Have been trying to do at least one small thing every day (15 min walk, 30 min stretch routine/yoga moves, and on Sunday a 90 min yoga class).  

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Half way! Wow! I honestly didn't think I'd make it this far and now I feel like another 15 is no big deal and in fact I plan to continue this eating lifestyle as best I can after we're done. I'm not feeling so good today, but it's "GERD" related. Other than that, I've made good food choices and prepped for all my meals this week yesterday.  

Here's what today's menu looks like:

B: Egg muffin, hashbrowns, carrots

L: Lasagna leftovers, strawberries

D: Sheperds pie (from the W30 cookbook)

10 hours ago, PaulaWala said:

Is there anything whole 30 approved that I can take for the cough and sore throat?  I've gargled with salt water.  Drank lemon water and applied quite a few essential oils.

I think these are all great ideas.  I'd add hot tea and hot lemon water.   I think if you need some medication, it's okay to take it.  I know one of my daily medications has corn in the inactive ingredients.  During my first Whole30, I went to a compound pharmacy to get a quote and it was crazy expensive and wasn't covered under my insurance.  But I need it and I take it daily.

I started my new job today!  I did a lot of planning and food prep so hopefully the week will go smoothly.  Work outs will be tough this week, so I may only get 3 days in.

Meal 1:  2 egg frittata muffins, avocado, black coffee (I wasn't hungry.)

Meal 2:  2 salmon cakes with Awesome sauce, green salad, olive oil dressing, olives, apple http://meljoulwan.com/2014/11/10/oven-fried-salmon-cakes/  I can't find a link to the awesome sauce recipe, but it's in Well Fed 2 and tastes SO good on the salmon cakes. It's a mixture of mayo, kickass ketchup, and seasonings.

Meal 3:  3 cracklin' chicken thighs, cauli mash (I didn't add fat to this, but chicken was cooked in ghee and cauli mash has coconut oil and coconut milk in it.)

Tomorrow is a super busy day with day 2 at new job and activities with my kids all afternoon and evening.   I have food prepped for all of us, so that's taken care of. 

Happy Day 15! :D

Day 17!

Not much to report, exercised last night, sleep well. Still feeling as though I have gained and not lost, but I still have time I suppose. 

Food today:

Breakfast: Three scrambled eggs cooked in olive oil topped with salsa, acorn squash with ghee, tomato and chopped peppers, small banana. I was stuffed!!! Coffee per my usual.

Lunch: Homemade turkey sausage with onions and peppers, sliced sweet potatoes baked in olive oil, 3 large olives with jalepeno, sliced tomato. 

WORKOUT- PreWO snack epic turkey bar, goals: Arm, Ab and Cardio day, goal time 30-40 minutes

Dinner: 2 scrambled eggs cooked in olive oil with salsa, acorn acorn squash, kale salad with tessamaes ranch, apple, kombucha

15 hours ago, snowflower said:

Meal 2:  2 salmon cakes with Awesome sauce, green salad, olive oil dressing, olives, apple http://meljoulwan.com/2014/11/10/oven-fried-salmon-cakes/  I can't find a link to the awesome sauce recipe, but it's in Well Fed 2 and tastes SO good on the salmon cakes. It's a mixture of mayo, kickass ketchup, and seasonings.

Found the link inside your link for the Awesome sauce...I'll be trying these later this week. http://meljoulwan.com/2014/03/10/bacon-jalapeno-burger-balls/ (sauce at the bottom of the page)

Today I'm feeling good, but (TMI) I haven't "gone" in a few days (which is sadly sometimes normal for me), so I'm feeling pretty bloated today and hoping to see some "movement". LOL  Other than that, not a lot to report on. Still clear skin and I took some magnesium last night awhile before bed, I'm hoping this helps with sleep, as well as maybe the first issue. I did eventually fall asleep last night without needing melatonin. 

B: Egg muffins, hash browns, carrots

L: Shepherds Pie leftovers (It was SOOOOO Good!) 

D: Still undecided. I have a list of meals and ingredients at home ready to go. I think I was going to make a Mediterranean dish.

Pre-WO: Not sure...I'll be running to the store at lunch to find a snack.

WO: Crossfit

Feeling particularly good today - maybe because my pantsuit was loose this morning - lol.  @FightingHashi, I have noticed BIG differences in movement lately, and not necessarily good.  In general I'm working on smaller portions and more greenery (I don't usually eat so much meat and potatoes type carbs and I feel like it's been weighing me down) and hope that will lighten things up.  

I have found it helpful to check in with the timeline in the book (and I think some of the moderators may have it in their signature lines) to help me feel on track.  And today, I am definitely feeling what they call Tiger Blood!  Or perhaps it is because I was finally able to vote (no early voting in NY) and whatever happens is now out of my hands and it was honestly a relief.  Totally not looking to start a political discussion, but I don't think I'm the only one who's been particularly stressed with it this year.  

Oh, and I have to see a cardiologist today.  Honestly feel like it's just my new primary doctor wanting to CYA, but I'm determined to follow all instructions since I hadn't had a good physical exam in over 10 years and got some poor results (hence kicking my ass to do this program).  And fortunately I have pretty good insurance so it won't be too much out of pocket.  

I am so exhausted today. I may be getting sick. Also dealing with depression which may be rearing it's head again. It can be hard to separate out what is Whole30 and what is everything else. I'm starting month two of three of heightened responsibility and I think the extra energy required is catching up with me a bit. ...my family is out of the country so I am in charge of the house and gardens and some family business matters while they're gone on top of my own new job and space... so it's a lot. But also a lot to be proud of! I'm doing a Whole30 in the midst of it because I have total charge of the kitchen and pantry right now which is making it a lot easier! Not exactly sure why I am posting this except it was a bit sad to get the Tiger Blood e-mail when I feel like I'm crashing. I suppose I could use a good word? Not looking for advice, just support if that makes sense. I have abundant coping mechanisms in place and will be fine and get through it. Just a little down and exhausted today. I appreciate checking in here even if I am mostly quiet! I appreciate you all!

On Sunday, October 30, 2016 at 4:55 PM, Bethjl said:

Is it bad that I am already afraid that I'm not going to lose anything?  I have been struggling with some extra weight for over a year now with little to no success.  I am a very active person who works out 6 days a week and recently ran a half marathon, but still struggle to fit into clothes that I was wearing a year ago.  Not weighing myself is killing 

Eruiel I feel like crap too! Everything hurts. A lot of joint pain. Needless to say that is making it hard. I have not cheated, I am tired and pretty sure I haven't lost a pound, maybe even gained. Ugh. Had such high hopes but seriously just depressed right now. 

• Moderators

For anyone feeling tired and depressed, be sure you're eating enough in general, and if you aren't already, be sure you're having at least a fist-sized serving of starchy vegetables each day. Don't skimp on the fat, and try to eat foods that will boost serotonin like eggs, salmon, pineapple, and turkey.

Additionally, be sure you're drinking enough water -- a half ounce per pound of body weight, so a 120 lb person needs at least 60 ounces -- and salt your food to taste.

Obviously, getting enough sleep, reducing stress, and getting some kind of exercise can help, as can getting out in the sunshine.

If you're not sure if your meals are right, feel free to start a new thread in the Troubleshooting section of the forum listing a couple of days of meals, including approximate portion sizes and specific types of vegetables eaten, and someone may have helpful suggestions for you.

46 minutes ago, Mamaburk said:

Eruiel I feel like crap too! Everything hurts. A lot of joint pain. Needless to say that is making it hard. I have not cheated, I am tired and pretty sure I haven't lost a pound, maybe even gained. Ugh. Had such high hopes but seriously just depressed right now. 

You guys are not alone, I keep feeling like I am gaining but I am eating only three meals and drinking more water than I ever thought possible! I am hitting the gym more often- so I have to view that as a positive. I think we have to wait to full 30 days before we can say its been a success or not :). 

@Eruiel what day is this for you?

Day 16! 

I think it's mostly overwhelm from my extra responsibilities right now. Just tired today. I think the Whole30 is helping in other ways like my skin is slowly but surely clearing up on my whole body and I am having fewer headaches and more even energy. I also don't fall into a despair pit if I have to wait to eat. I think it's just hard not to expect that the Whole30 will cure everything ^_~ My plan is to keep going after 30 days if I still don't feel done. Sometimes my system is slow and I know this. I also may drop nightshades at that point to see if that is the culprit. I do feel like I'm going in a positive direction generally. Just having an off day. Thanks for the empathy and support!

45 minutes ago, Eruiel said:

Day 16! 

I think it's mostly overwhelm from my extra responsibilities right now. Just tired today. I think the Whole30 is helping in other ways like my skin is slowly but surely clearing up on my whole body and I am having fewer headaches and more even energy. I also don't fall into a despair pit if I have to wait to eat. I think it's just hard not to expect that the Whole30 will cure everything ^_~ My plan is to keep going after 30 days if I still don't feel done. Sometimes my system is slow and I know this. I also may drop nightshades at that point to see if that is the culprit. I do feel like I'm going in a positive direction generally. Just having an off day. Thanks for the empathy and support!

<3 can you hit the hay a little early tonight and try to get a little extra sleep?  Or do something else small and special just for you?  

*(darn, my little heart there for you didn't work...)

Also not feeling well - I've had a sore throat and cough since Sunday. I haven't been getting enough sleep and have been going non-stop so I'm hitting the hay here in a few minutes!  Sleep is SO key.

Had bone broth for breakfast yesterday and plan to go get some compliant (I did some research) throat/cough stuff tomorrow after work if I absolutely need it.  For now, bone broth and tea!

Sorry to see so many of you are not feeling well :(  I went and got my flu shot today because crud is starting to spread around the office. I would of done it sooner, but I had a nasty cold for awhile as well just before we started.  I was feeling a bit bloated again today, but I am hoping it's just my bowel system slowing down at the moment. Last week I was feeling better in this department.

Tonight's dinner was great! I've never cooked Mediterranean or some of the ingredients in this dish, but it turned out really well and was super easy. As I was making it I was questioning if it was going to taste good at all, but I really liked it. I also love salty olives and artichokes, so that helped.  http://www.paleonewbie.com/one-skillet-paleo-mediterranean-chicken-recipe

Day 16 is just about over! It's like hump day...we're headed down hill from here. I will say my cravings for sweet foods have pretty much gone away and I don't even feel the need to have tea in the morning. My only worry is that once day 30 is over and I know I can go back to my hot chocolate, I will want to "treat" myself. But I'm really not craving it during the day like I used to. Unless I sit and think about it (like right now). LOL

Day 18!! 

I feel better today, body image wise, not as bloated and I continue to feel more positive and motivated to exercise. In fact I have my bag packed and may get to go tonight which will be three straight days (I only get about 30 minutes in- so not excessive, but I am going and that feels good!). Didn't get much sleep last night but that was mainly because of the election...I was too engrossed!

Over the last few days I have doubled my water intake- which at first seemed impossible- I think it is helping my gut. 

My skin hasn't improved yet, I actually have two small breakouts- ugh, I hate adult acne. I think my patience is improved, it that is a thing? I don't seem to get as frustrated as normal. 

Food:

Breakfast: Homemade turkey sausage with onions and peppers cooked in olive oil, sliced sweet potatoes (baked previously in olive oil), 1 avocado, extra diced sweet peppers. 1 banana and few  green grapes. Coffee and LOTS OF WATER

Lunch: Homemade turkey sausage with onions and peppers cooked in olive oil, acorn squash, 1 sliced tomato, few green olives and an apple. LOTS OF WATER

Dinner: Apple Turkey Sausage 1.5, acorn squash, broccoli, apple and kombucha. Maybe a 1-2 tsp almond butter. LOTS OF WATER

HAPPY WEDNESDAY! 

Just wanted to update that I am feeling better today. I slept like a rock last night (very rare for me) and had the luxury of sleeping in a bit which I took advantage of. I also indulged my autistic brain in a good bit of special interest study (nerves arising from the brain and cervical spinal cord and especially those that innervate the facial muscles) and that helped. 

I really like that the Whole30 is helping with easily throwing together a healthy meal. I had chicken pan fried with zatar and roasted broccoli and olives and an apple with a little almond butter and it felt to good to be able to pull that together even while feeling terrible. Previously I either would not have eaten or would have had a pint of ice cream or a couple pieces of cheese bread if I was feeling like that. Proud. NSV for sure! Especially because getting better about meal prep and planning was one of my pre Whole30 goals!

Still taking it a bit easy today. Thank you all for your support. Good things to you.

Day 17! Not feeling it today...was up late last night and then my husband stayed up even later and woke me up at 2am and wanted to discuss the election. So then I was wide awake and he fell asleep snoring loudly and for the first time I ended up on the couch just to try to sleep. I think I got about 3hrs (not solid by any means). So I'm exhausted, both physically and emotionally today from yesterday's events. Also, I'm sore from my workout (which is good), but extra sore from sleeping on the couch. 

My food choices, however, remain healthy and for that I am proud. I got back some test results today, which tell me nothing. My gastro (who I felt wasn't listening) did a blood test for food allergies, which I knew wouldn't show anything, came back normal.  I am going in next week to my naturopath to do real food sensitivity testing that does more than just draw blood. I'm still awaiting results from one more test he did (the dreaded fasting I did last week). We shall see what happens with that one.

B: My usual....eggs with hashbrowns and carrots

L: Leftover Mediterranean dish I made for dinner last night

D: I am not sure yet...I will have to check my list of meals and pick one.                  WO: Crossfit

14 minutes ago, Eruiel said:

Alright. Just got on the train to work and realized as I was getting to the station that I forgot my bag with lunch and dinner in it! Bother. I will figure this out! Wish me luck!

Good luck! You got this! Chipotle is always an option (Carnitas, lettuce, guacamole, pico) if you have them in your area. I've had to resort to eating that a couple times in a rush. 

52 minutes ago, FightingHashi said:

Good luck! You got this! Chipotle is always an option (Carnitas, lettuce, guacamole, pico) if you have them in your area. I've had to resort to eating that a couple times in a rush. 

Thank you! I dashed to the store and got a couple apples, avocados, red peppers, olives, and turkey deli slices. Feeling much better!

Day 17! I honestly almost dropped out last night between the lack of sleep and my serious need/want for a glass of wine-- definitely my stress reaction. THIS ELECTION ALMOST RUINED MY WHOLE 30!!

But I stuck with it, and feel good about that. This is my second whole 30 and I know I've done it before, so I shall again.

b-roasted spaghetti squash with ghee, S & P, and a couple fried eggs-- lovin' the Squash for breakfast! It's not just for meatballs anymore....

l-tuna cakes and some butter lettuce & roasted beets with horseradish home made mayo

d-roasted salmon over arugula with a sweet potato & some balsamic vinegar, banana

Hi all.  Happy Day 17 (for me).  I love being back at work.  I'm working 8 hour day shifts while I'm training for the next 2 weeks.  I've been packing lunches and going good long stretches between meals without snacking.  This tells me I'm packing the right amount of everything.  I had such a taste for a burger on my drive home (bunless with grilled onions and mayo) that I ditched my other dinner plans and started from scratch.  I ate 2+ palms worth of burger :huh:, a huge mound of cauli mash, and the sweet potato bites that someone (maybe @FightingHashi) posted earlier.  They were AMAZING!  

Sorry to those of you who aren't feeling great.  Hang in there.  

Glad to have a supportive and kind whole 30 group when it seems like there is so much negative emotion and tension about everything today!

Trying to take it easy and not workout while sick this week is killing me! I hope I can get back to OTF on Friday. For now... sleep.

I haven't posted meals in a few days but today on Day 17 here's what I did:

B: 1/2 small baked potato with ghee, roasted broccoli, salmon bacon (Trader Joe's!)

L: chicken harvest salad (chicken over spinach kale baby tomatoes sundries tomatoes peppers onions pumpkin seeds w/ tessamae's zesty ranch)

D: bowl of chicken bone broth, side of ginger kale salad, carrots/radishes dipped in pineapple salsa.

lots of tea + found the best cough drops I could at Whole Foods (otherwise there is no reprieve). Can't wait to feel true tiger blood. 

Hang in, everyone!

Hi Everybody! I'm Zoie, and new to posting on the forum but started my Whole30 on 10/26 (I'm on day 15!). I LOVE it so far. Quite shortly after I started I noticed my blood sugar levels were so much more regular which made me feel great. I also noticed that I was thinking a lot more clearly! Before I started Whole30 I treated the days before like it was a "Fat Tuesday" only it lasted 4-5 days... haha. I'm happy to say that I've stuck with it. When I have cravings at night I'll make tea (Aveda tea is my favorite!) or will drink a La Croix. I was an avid coffee drinker and wine drinker before that. I stopped the coffee because I would always drink it with store bought creamer (awful ingredients). Just wanted to jump on here for some inspiration/support for the last two weeks! I hope you are all having positive experiences! I'll also share what I ate! 

B: One egg with onions, bell pepper and tomatoes. 

L: Chicken Salad with Balsamic Vinegar and a ton of vegetables.

D: Steak, sautéed spinach and potatoes!

Exercise: Weight Training Group Class at the gym!

Archived