Starting Monday, 10/24- looking for support group

CristinaV

Feeling fab today!  Partly sad to say some is probably due to external feedback (photo of myself posted on FB), but I do honestly feel better - and finally lighter.  I think I had been eating too much the first week and change (I had been used to the day-long graze so the idea of not eating for 4-5 hours probably had me loading up my plate a little too much).  I cut that back slightly and have been trying to do a better anticipation of when I'll eat next and what I'm doing physically to decide how much I'm going to eat.  I am also winding down out of this meat eating as I eat it out of the fridge/freezer.  I was never a big meat eater to begin with, and it has been a bit of a struggle.  It just feels too heavy like it is sitting there, plus the cardiologist told me that meat was not a good thing to be eating a lot of if I'm trying to get my cholesterol down.  So I'm working on more eggs and fish focus.  Just put (hopefully) the last of my chicken in the oven to roast and once I choke that down I'm really done with chicken, too.  I am just not and never have been a bird grrl!  

What are some other compliant protein sources so I can expand my options a bit?

Yesterday:

B: tuna, mayo, olive, avocado (maybe too much fat?), and the rest of the last good tomato from my garden (I have a couple more on the window sill I'm not sure will be edible, but not giving up!)

L: roasted spaghetti squash with meat sauce and lots of veg in the sauce

D: shrimp/pork curry, ton'o'veg, topped with cashew and some kombucha (not bad - sorry I took so long to grab some)

For today, I haven't been doing a specific meal to meal plan when I'm working from home, but making sure I have several choices ready to go in the fridge.  And took out 5 small pieces of salmon to cook so that will be a few meals.  

Have been thinking of many of you - sorry to hear everyone has been sick (I seriously would take a little non-compliant med rather than be completely miserable, but that is me), and dealing with so many different things.  I am really fortunate that I've been able to create a little bit of a mental bubble here for myself to kickstart this better eating process.  Since the beginning of the year I have been dedicating 1-3 months at a time to doing something just for me and my health (mental, physical, spiritual).  Not big things - but promising myself I would not have any excuses to interfere with that one small goal.  Working like a maniac, and doing a lot of the regular things in my life, but having that one thing to focus on.  The theory being that trying to do everything all at once seemed too insurmountable to me.  But all these little things have built upon themselves and I'm really feeling so much better as this year starts to wind down than I did in January.  This month is Whole30 and Day 18 feels good!  

And thanks also again to all of you who have not only stuck it out with the program, but continued to post here.  It's helped me so much!

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Maggieb123 said:

Day 17! I honestly almost dropped out last night between the lack of sleep and my serious need/want for a glass of wine-- definitely my stress reaction. THIS ELECTION ALMOST RUINED MY WHOLE 30!!

I also felt the need for wine after the election. But!  I didn't. Yeah us!

Day 16 for me. I have to admit that I still miss chocolate and wine. Not cravings, just thinking about it every now and then and wanting some. They are the two things I am most looking forward to next month and that can be dangerous, because obviously they are a weak spot for my willpower. I'm going to have to figure out a way to not go back to my old ways. I think drinking something else out of a wine glass will help some of the time. It has during Whole30. I just have to think to do it.

Thank you all for the recipe links. I am looking forward to trying the salmon cakes, kick-ass ketchup (I am really missing it on my sausages!) and home fries. I never knew of the Well Fed site and it is a bonanza for W30 recipes!

B: Breakfast meatloaf, 1/2 an avocado, Tessamea's ranch dressing for dipping (can't seem to find veggies I want in the house - will have to pick some up at lunch)

L: tuna salad and veggie salad

D: unstuffed cabbage roll soup from here: http://www.sugarfreemom.com/recipes/crock-pot-low-carb-un-stuffed-cabbage-roll-soup/

I found that Swanson's 100% natural beef broth has no caramel color and seems to be W30 compliant, so looking forward to using that in the soup and not having to make my own broth. Lunch tomorrow at a Mexican restaurant with some friends. I am planning ahead and looked at the menu. Should be easy to put together a delicious compliant meal and I'm looking forward to it!

Hope everyone has a great Thursday!

-Karen

DAY 19!

Feeling no different than yesterday, tired today, but I think it is because I am still catching up from my loss of sleep this week, I slept really well last night, it was hard to get up! I am getting bored with my food, it is my fault because I didn't meal prep as well as I should have and now I am left with squash and eggs- ugh! I am pretty burnt out on squash!

We finalized our Thanksgiving travel plans last night and I am so relieved, it was becoming so stressful figuring out travel and everyone's schedules. Now I just need to think about packing...maybe buy a new outfit or two? :)

Breakfast: Acorn squash, 3 scrambled eggs, kalamata olives, salsa, sliced tomato and small banana, two green grapes. 

Lunch: Turkey meatloaf and mixed veggies and potato cooked in olive oil. Kalamata olives. Maybe a banana?

Workout goal is 30 minutes tonight. 

Dinner: Turkey Apple Sausage, zucchini noodles with mushrooms cooked in olive oil and maybe some ghee. Kalamata olives. Green grapes (small amount) and kombucha 

Welcome, @Zoie!  Glad to hear you've stuck with the program on your own. This group is always nice to come post in each day to keep motivated (and sometimes complain) ;)  

Day 18! I'm feeling pretty good overall, just retaining a lot of water this week for some reason. Not sure if it's the medicine the doctor has me taking for my GERD or something else. I did find online that it can cause water retention, probably just as many medications can. I also started taking magnesium this week, which I read should actually help with water retention. Either way, feeling that "heavy" (fat) feeling you have when you're bloated and retaining. I know it will pass and just focused on how good I feel about my new eating habits and sticking with my workouts. I don't know if I've just been pushing this week or what, but I have been really sore from CrossFit, which happens on occasion, but it's been an extra sore week for me. Which is Good...means my body is changing. I've also introduced some good stretching in the evenings that I've gotten my husband to participate with me in, which is nice to see him do.

It's nearing the end of the week (today is my Friday with a holiday tomorrow). So I think I'll take some of my "free" time (while watching my kids) and find some new recipes. I've definitely found a few along the way that I'll keep in my book to make weekly. Yesterday ended up being a quick meal day and I just BBQ'd some chicken and made the Sweet Potatoes again that I love (the ones you made @snowflower) I had an epiphany last night that I can have almond butter...I have no clue why I didn't realize that at first. I LOVE having almond butter with apples, so now I have a good snack when I need it!.  

B: Same ol' egg muffins with hashbrowns and carrots  L: Leftover Mediterranean meal D: Not sure yet, but hoping to make the watercress soup. If not, I may be grabbing Chipotle as an alternative.  WO: CrossFit

Good Morning, Is today Day 18 if we started on 10/24?  I feel okay today, still dealing with a cough and cold.  And yes, I confess, that I did take some OTC cold medicine last night because I needed to sleep.  Glad I did.  A coworker mentioned that I looked lighter yesterday.  I don't really feel lighter but at least I don't feel as bloated as I did prior to whole 30. 

Breakfast: egg salad made with avocados, spring greens and a tomato

Lunch: leftover spaghetti squash with shrimp marinara

Supper: probably leftover egg roll in a bowl and 1/3 cup blueberries.  Thank you for whoever shared that recipe link.

I plan to walk on my lunch break.  Unbelievable weather we are having here in Minnesota and I'm grateful for it.

4 hours ago, Kyoung123 said:

I found that Swanson's 100% natural beef broth has no caramel color and seems to be W30 compliant, so looking forward to using that in the soup and not having to make my own broth.

I checked the ingredients of the beef broth again (thinking it just couldn't have been so easy to find compliant broth from a major company) and it has yeast extract in it. Googled whether that is W30 compliant and although it's not strictly forbidden, they recommend not eating it. Sigh. The forum post from Melissa said that if your body reacts to MSG, it might also react to the yeast extract. Apparently, it's thought that some companies put that on their labels but really put MSG in the food. I may just make it more of a cabbage/beef stir fry using the rest of the ingredients. Will have to see how that goes...

A link to the forum post in case anyone is interested:

1 hour ago, FightingHashi said:

Anyone have a good side dish recipe for red potatoes? I have a ton leftover from a recipe I made earlier this week.

Have you tried roasting them in olive oil and rosemary and garlic and salt and roasting or broiling them?

5 hours ago, FightingHashi said:

Anyone have a good side dish recipe for red potatoes? I have a ton leftover from a recipe I made earlier this week.

I second what @Eruiel said regarding the olive oil, rosemary, salt and pepper....BUT ADD zest of 1 lemon and a few big shallots.

Or try the same seasonings used on the sweet potato bites?! I love the cayenne mixed in with the others.

DAY 20!

I feel like my body is now getting back to where it was the day before starting my whole30, not as bloated, just a little extra weight on the abdomen and some unwanted love handles that I just cannot get rid of! I am getting bored with food and I need to think of some creative ideas as I go into the weekend. I worry the most about the weekends, I am home more to snack and overeat. 

10 days to go and I am ready to be done! I will mostly likely eat how I am now going into the future- I feel good eating these foods for the most part, I still struggle to add fat to my meals but I am getting better.... I am ready to reintroduce some wine, and a little more variety. 

Food today:

Breakfast: (leftovers) apple turkey sausage, zucchini noodles and  mushrooms cooked in ghee and a little beef bone broth. Had some green olives (they taste too salty for me-but I am low on options), banana, coffee and lots of water, I did have a few green grapes.

Lunch: so I only have a 15 minute driving lunch today and I didn't prepare accordingly, so my lunch is really light. Turkey Epic Bar, Lemon Lara Bar, Apple, WATER. I have a bag of carrots for my afternoon snack while I am out and about. I figure if I am starving when I get home I will scramble a couple of eggs and have them with salsa. 

Dinner: Tonight is going to be chicken breast, potatoes and a veggie, some fat not sure what yet.  Apple and kombucha. 

Tomorrow will be a major challenge for eating throughout the day. Breakfast will be as normal. Then we are off to a chess tournament from 0800 to 300, and then I have a little league football celebration bash starting at 330 which we are having pizza, and chips, fruit and dessert...eek! I think I will bring a veggie tray :)

So I will have to be creative, this is our first chess tournament but I am hoping we go get lunch, and then I will eat dinner after we get home from the party. The kids I suspect will be stuffed, tired and happy- I hope anyway.  

I am looking forward to a restful day on Sunday, gym, groceries, meal prep and a good book! Fingers crossed :)

Day 19!! I am feeling pretty good today-- Got great sleep last night-- Like a baby!

B-Leftover turkey Egg roll bowl, coffee 

L-Pear and some spinach salad with beets ( I know no protein, but I feel good & full)

D- Stuffed Zucchini and tomato sauce over some spinach-- I'm excited about this one!

Day 19 -woo! Can't shake this cough but I honestly believe I'd be way more sick had I not been on whole30. Everyone in my office has dropped like flies in the last few weeks. Mine is just throat. My energy has been great almost every day.

Sugar dragon was stirring today. I thought about chocolate a lot. And red wine. No clue why today over other days?

I made salmon cakes last night. I know several of you have, too. They are so GOOD... especially with some homemade garlic aoili! Must try in my opinion.

Have a good weekend, everyone.

Day 20!! And feeling great.

I FINALLY got my copy of Well Fed Weeknights and made Beef Burrito over street fries last night for dinner.  It was amazing.  SO delicious.   I don't have a link, but her website has tons of great recipes http://meljoulwan.com/

Tonight I'm making 2 more recipes from the book that my daughter requested:  lettuce cups and a Hoisin Shrimp Stir Fry.  Next on the list is Schnitzel meatballs...I'm not sure my daughter even knows what schnitzel is....she just likes to say it.  :P

Here's what today looks like:

PreWO:  2 HB eggs, cauli mash, coffee with coconut milk

WO:  60 minute OTF

Meal 1 (eaten post WO):  Beef burrito over street fries with a fried egg, avocado, black olives

Meal 2:  Jason's deli salad bar (with dressing brought from home)

Meal 3:  Lettuce Cups and Shrimp & Broccoli Hoisin Stir Fry with cauli rice (the lettuce cups have a sesame seed butter dressing so that'll be my fat)

Enjoy the weekend.

Day 20/Day 1 :( 

Well ladies, I succumbed to the call of old habits. It was a holiday, so I was off work and I was home all day with my kids, doing well with my eating all day, but being the end of the week we were running out of foods in the house and by the evening I was just sick of compliant foods and followed my gut rather than my heart. I didn't go crazy and eat horrible, just had Pho soup, but let me you Don't do it! Within minutes of eating something not W30 compliant, my stomach bloated to about the size if I were 6 months pregnant. I assume it was the rice noodles and/or bean sprouts that caused the bloat, I'm not sure.  Anyhow, my plan from the moment I knew I was going to go off track was that I'd get right back on today, which I have. I know I'm officially starting over, but I'm okay with that. Although I'd really love to say I'm on day 20, instead of day 1. I really also need to take some time to read on the reintroduction after day 30 when that comes. I am really unsure of how that works and what to introduce back first (obviously not pho). lol

Take my advice. You're all SO CLOSE to the end! Don't mess it up for one meal that will leave you feeling guilty and like crap afterward. 

PS - Made the Watercress soup tonight (thanks for sharing) and it is really good. Especially on a cold fall night like tonight here in Washington State.  I grabbed all the ingredients for the Salmon cakes and I'm about to go whip those up for having later in the week. Keep the recipes coming. I'd like to gather at least 20 good ones that I really love.  So far I have maybe 5 on the "favorites" list. The others are "so so".  

@FightingHashi I am glad you are still here with us. Having lived six years in Seattle I know the delicious perfection of pho on a dark November night! I am sorry you had that reaction. How has your new day 1 gone?

I just rocked a NSV in that I made a batch of peanut butter chocolate chip cookies and did not even feel tempted to have a bit of dough. Weird! I almost tasted some out of habit but it wasn't desire. Feeling pretty good about that!

Also made a tasty beef and cabbage soup with smoked paprika and Finnish salmon soup. Woke up feeling miserable with a cold (hence All The Soup) so it was interesting to make my usual remedies compliant. I'm a serious student of herbs and use honey medicinally especially with coughs and sore throats. I do look forward to being able to use it again but it was interesting to work around it. Hope everyone had a good weekend!

Good Morning All,

Day 22 is here.  I stayed whole 30 compliant with food choices even on Veteran's Day when my significant other wanted to go out and get all the free meals he could get as a veteran.  I'm used to eating salads etc.  But one thing I have a difficult time doing on weekends is getting the 3 meals in.  When I'm not on  a routine things get messy.  I feel better, cough is less bothersome than it was last week. Thank you for the recommendations.  I'm not feeling any lighter but I am sleeping  better.   I think it is going to take more than 1 whole 30 for my body to reset from my autoimmune issues. 

B: apple chicken sausage, peppers, kale, sweet potato fried in ghee

L: spring mix greens, cucumber, peppers, left over grilled pork chop, homemade vinaigrette, 10 black grapes

S: Chicken stir fry in sesame oil with coconut aminos and cauliflower rice

Exercise: walking at lunchtime and then more moving furniture after work.

Keep up the good work everyone.

11 hours ago, Eruiel said:

I just rocked a NSV in that I made a batch of peanut butter chocolate chip cookies and did not even feel tempted to have a bit of dough. Weird! I almost tasted some out of habit but it wasn't desire. Feeling pretty good about that!

I am also finding that habit, more than desire, is affecting me. I am so used to just swiping a taste here and there that I have to catch myself. The other day I asked for a piece of beef jerky from my son, who had a bag of it. It touched my tongue when I realized that no way was this going to be compliant and I didn't eat it. It was kind of a wake-up call. Same with grabbing a Starbucks drink while I'm out shopping. I'm going to have to pay close attention to these habits.

I survived a bridal shower with a huge spread of amazing food over the weekend. Ate fruit, shrimp and crab. Avoided the champagne and sangria. Wishing I could have tried more things, but there will be more delicious food in my life. The wedding is 12/3 and I will be able to enjoy champagne then. :D And in the end, it's about hanging out with friends and celebrating my niece's wedding. It was a wonderful party.

I went to Whole Foods and Trader Joe's on Saturday and stocked up on some yummy compliant foods that I can't find in my local supermarkets, like smoked salmon, bacon, and compliant pickles (among other things). Ended the weekend with lots of leftovers so I am good for a few days with little cooking. Yeah!

Today:

B: smoked salmon, tomatoes, capers, avocado and leftover hashbrowns

L: leftover cauli rice and beef cabbage "sauce"

D: taco salad

Oh, btw, the unstuffed cabbage roll soup (minus the noncompliant beef broth) was pretty good. And even better after it sits in the fridge for a day. Without the broth, it's more of a chunky sauce, and is better on something without much flavor, like the cauli rice. I'd like to make it as soup after W30 or if I can convince myself to make bone broth.

Have a great day!

Day 23!!

I survived the weekend, the chess tournament wasn't half as hard as I thought. My little guy won first in his age group...so proud! He got sick with strep that night, so no more fun partying for us, but today with the help of antibiotics he is back to school-- poor guy!!

I think I am finally making some progress on my body, I haven't weighed or anything but I feel better... that is the only word for it. My energy while not what I would imagine "tiger blood" to be like, is improved. On Saturday after being gone all day at chess, I still felt like going to the gym- at 5 pm. I did a lot of leg work and was so sore yesterday, that I just did a really light 20 minute jog. 

I did a lot of meal prep yesterday and I feel prepared for my final week!

Breakfast: Homemade turkey sausage with peppers and onions, sliced sweet potatoes (baked in olive oil), wholly guacamole, 1/2 grapefruit, 3 grapes, water and coffee.

Lunch: Crockpot beef cabbage soup (made it last night and the boys loved it-I was shocked) I added hot sauce on top- whole guac or olives, 1/2 grapefruit.

Dinner: Turkey stir fry (new recipe), olives, 5 grapes, and kombucha.

GYM GOAL: 30 minutes. 

Day 22

Had a dream about eating cookies last night-- I almost woke up disappointed in myself before I realized it was just a dream!

I was in a fender-bender yesterday and no one was hurt, just dents on my car-- but having that stress and adrenaline all I wanted was a candy bar or whole pie or bottle of wine.... I didn't succumb, but I keep having these moments where I realize how sugar addicted I really am! This is my second whole30 but I am still learning about how I use food for stress & anxiety. It is hard. I wanted a treat-- I mean, every fiber of my body was saying "Come on! you've had a rough day and it's not your fault, so have a little treat. You deserve it! It's gonna make it all better. No one will ever know." I know better than that, and the moment passed, but I can't say I wouldn't have cracked if the circumstances were different. I'm just lucky I wasn't backed into in the parking lot of a Krispy Kreme. Not that I would be in the parking lot of a Krispy Kreme during a whole30, but you know...

B-Spagetti squash and fried eggs

L- Not sure yet-- about to rummage around for a salad with beets and some tuna

D- Egg roll in a romaine lettuce wrap.

22 hours ago, Eruiel said:

@FightingHashi I am glad you are still here with us. Having lived six years in Seattle I know the delicious perfection of pho on a dark November night! I am sorry you had that reaction. How has your new day 1 gone?

THANK YOU @Eruiel, I'm doing well and feeling okay with starting over, even though it sucks. I find it very comforting knowing I have NO DESIRE to reach for crap food, or indulge in pizza with the family, or cake at the office (which there were 3 celebrations today!). Having now found healthier foods, learning to see what's in my food, and realizing it's easy to incorporate cooking into my busy schedule, I'm thankful to have gotten this far. At this very moment I'm having some egg roll in a bowl and even got the ingredients to make the sweet and sour sauce, which adds a nice flavor. My new normal is planning out my week of food on Saturday or Sunday morning and shopping for what I need. I find it interesting going to my store and getting maybe two bags full of food for the week, while still having to go to the regular grocery store and getting a cart full of random foods to feed my husband and the three kids. Unfortunately I've yet been able to get them eating as well as they all should. Once I get myself on a stable track, I plan to start incorporating better foods in to their diets as well. They are all very picky (including my husband), so it won't be easy. 

Today I had:

B: my usual eggs and hasbrowns

L: Left over Shepherds pie

Pre WO: crab cakes and awesome sauce (finally made these and they were good, but I read the instructions wrong and over cooked them LOL) And who knew that canned salmon came with a bunch of bones...ewww!

D: egg roll in a bowl and sauce

8 hours ago, Maggieb123 said:

Had a dream about eating cookies last night-- I almost woke up disappointed in myself before I realized it was just a dream!

This made me laugh, Maggie! Glad you're okay with your accident. Good job not going for your cravings while stressed!! :) 

12 hours ago, Kyoung123 said:

taco salad

Kyoung123 - What did you put in your Taco Salad? This sounds good. I do love Taco salad. Didn't think about making one of those. Maybe just some lettuce, tomato, avocado and chicken? Minus the taco?

8 hours ago, FightingHashi said:

Pre WO: crab cakes and awesome sauce (finally made these and they were good, but I read the instructions wrong and over cooked them LOL) And who knew that canned salmon came with a bunch of bones...ewww!

Oh my....the first time I opened a can of salmon I was completely disgusted.  Now I'm so used to it, it doesn't even phase me.  I pick out the bones and give them to my dog.  Humans can eat them too and they're a great source of calcium....I actually left them in once just to see how it'd taste.  They were fine, but I didn't like the extra surprise crunch.  You can leave the skin in...that won't change the taste or texture of your salmon cakes.

Now I need to learn how to do your multiple quote thing @FightingHashi, my computer doesn't seem to let me do that without messing everything up.  :mellow:

Archived