Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CristinaV

Starting Monday, 10/24- looking for support group

Recommended Posts

Day 2 is done! I'm toast. Very tired but feeling proud of myself. I had really fallen into some terrible habits -- WAY too much sugar and junky foods. It feels great to be taking care of myself. Thanks for getting this going, Cristina!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I realized how many things are on automatic pilot.  Unconscious eating (like walk by a fig tree and almost popping a few).  But today went well, and I'm looking forward to tomorrow.  Still don't have a solid plan, but since protein is the thing I worry about, and I have that pretty well secured for a couple of days, I think I'll be OK.  Fortunately I don't have a crazy work day lined up.  

Did I mention how amazing that mayo is?  I honestly can't believe I never made mayo from scratch before.  Used some in canned tuna for tuna salad, then for dinner added a garlic clove and some lemon juice to make the garlic aioli to go with my salmon burger and roasted veggies.  

It was good to be able to see everyone else's posts through the day.  G'nite!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ladyshanny said:

Hi @maggie_h - you are not eating enough, my dear. Eggs as protein are as many as you can hold in your hand without dropping. For even the smallest of humans, that starts at 3-4. Add veggies (1-3 cups cooked) before you hit the fruit. If you are eating salad as a meal, it needs to be huge. Think: mixing bowl huge. And then add 1-3 cups of cooked veggies. If you are just having salad greens, they munch down to nearly nothing. I'm not sure what "harvest salad" is but you should be adding fat and protein as well. 

You need pre and post workout foods also when you are doing OTF or a 90 minute yoga class. Preworkout is protein and fat and post workout is lean protein and a starchy veggie.

Thanks for this feedback!  I don't think I understood the template fully until tonight... I just went back and re-read.  Veggies... LOTS of veggies... before fruit.  Got it.  I love vegetables so that won't be a problem.  Just need to prepare better!  FYI Harvest salad is a go-to lunch for me with nuts and dried fruit and chicken and veggies, etc.  I actually did something different for dinner (pork, sweet potatoe, roasted carrots.. but it still isn't enough veggie-heavy enough.  Prepped a lot tonight so I should be good to go for the next few days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to all the newbies doing their first Whole30 and to the repeaters also!

I noticed in reading through some of your posted meals that breakfast is extremely light (one egg and a half a banana??) and in all, it looks like there are some pretty light meals and fat is not always included.

Please take another look at the template (linked below) and make all your meals to match.  Your aim is to get 4-5 hours between meals without needing to snack... 

Also a note about fruit... the recommendation is UP TO 1-2 fist sized servings a day and only after you've filled your plate (1-3 cups) with veggies... fruit is never a replacement for veggies.

If you have any questions about the meal template feel free to ask, it's definitely where the magic is!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there! I too started this today. This is my first W30 and looking forward to the results. I travel a lot for work and know this will be a huge challenge for me. I am not doing a consistent work out plan, but plan to start working out with a trainer this week. 

B: 3 hard boiled eggs, handful of olives, green apple ( i missed the veggie mark for breakfast as I had not done my shopping yet)

L: Beef Epic bar, jicama, carrots, handful of olives (was out and about running errands so needed something quick and easy)

D: Beef brisket (from the W30 book), cauliflower mash (OMG so good with the coconut cream), butternut squash, sweet potato, cooked carrots (threw those in with the brisket in the crock pot)

Prepped lots of roasted veggies, and have left overs for tomorrows lunch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LeeLeeB said:

Hi all - I am starting my whole 30 program today as well. Thank you for this forum and welcome support and input.  My first time doing this program. A bit nervous but very committed and hoping to get the sugar-detox-hangover out of my system soon...

:)

Question: I'm following the meal plan template in the book and wondering if that's pretty much OK to start?  My meals today:

8:00am breakfast Egg fritatta: ground beef, spinach, tomatoes, onions & bell pepper. 1 small slice. Made the "perfect sausage". 1 small piece., 1/2 grapefruit

12:00pm lunch: protein salad with ranch dressing: 4 oz chicken breast and chopped vegetables -all prepared from whole30 recipes and an apple

4:00pm feeling tired so I ate a banana.  Knowing now not to eat fruit as a snack

5:30: Dinner: spaghetti squash with meat sauce, 1 Adielle's Chicken sausage.  No other veg than the squash but it was more than a cup.

Not sure if this is on the right track.  Will be more aware of portions and vegetables to fruit ratios... :)

 

2 hours ago, LeeLeeB said:

Hi all - I am starting my whole 30 program today as well. Thank you for this forum and welcome support and input.  My first time doing this program. A bit nervous but very committed and hoping to get the sugar-detox-hangover out of my system soon...

:)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, jamk321 said:

Hi there! I too started this today. This is my first W30 and looking forward to the results. I travel a lot for work and know this will be a huge challenge for me. I am not doing a consistent work out plan, but plan to start working out with a trainer this week. 

B: 3 hard boiled eggs, handful of olives, green apple ( i missed the veggie mark for breakfast as I had not done my shopping yet)

L: Beef Epic bar, jicama, carrots, handful of olives (was out and about running errands so needed something quick and easy)

D: Beef brisket (from the W30 book), cauliflower mash (OMG so good with the coconut cream), butternut squash, sweet potato, cooked carrots (threw those in with the brisket in the crock pot)

Prepped lots of roasted veggies, and have left overs for tomorrows lunch

Hi! I made the brisket too!  I'm going to try it tomorrow! - have prepped a lot of food yesterday for the week. I looked at countless reference sites about what items to buy at like Trader Joe's, Costco and Whole Foods etc.. I'm reading It Starts With Food now... but hoping to loose a few lbs before I can start working out again. Good luck for this week! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, it's starting to get hard. Cravings, stress, etc.  BUT, I also feel really empowered.  It's been a while since I've gone 2 days without sugar in any form.  Sad to say, but true.

OK, anyone else constipated?!!  TMI, sorry! I've never had this problem. I drink lots of water, and workout... wondering if it's all the extra fiber from the veggies. 

B: eggs, spinach, sweet potato, cauliflower patties cooked with oil.  I appreciate the tips from the expert on this forum.  I felt hungry last night, and know it was likely because I didn't eat enough breakfast

L: cabbage unroll ups

D: salmon and sweet potato cauliflower patties. 

Workout- Circuit training class

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to everyone who is posting, and especially the moderators.  It is not only helpful to see how everyone else is doing it, but it helps to feel less alone with the process (which I believe will be more important later in the program!)

I'm going to stick pretty much with what I did yesterday, because I have the stuff all ready and I'm OK eating all this 2 days in a row (it was good!)

B: spinach fritatta, orange, jasmine tea

L: tuna salad with mayo (holy crow - that mayo recipe!) over a pile'o'greenery and veggies, with the balsamic vinaigrette from the book, and a pear 

D: salmon (recipe in the book) with roasted veggies (last night a conf call ran way over so I wound up doing salmon burger instead of salmon steaks I had in the fridge) and more of that garlic aioli (recipe in the book - yummy!)

Workout:  I'm in super-wimp stage.  I am loathe to say I walked about 40 minutes yesterday (15 each way to the store, then wandered around the store looking for a ripe avocado - no luck) and my back wasn't happy and is still grumbling.  The last thing I need is a back setback so I'm going to do a good stretch routine and then either do a couple short bike rides around the neighborhood, or take a few separate laps around the block on foot during work breaks.  I know that getting moving again is key for me.  I feel like it has been one of my issues the past couple of years - getting back into something active, then getting hurt and being stuck not at square 1, but 10 steps back (I have had several surgeries over the past few years) and if I don't pay attention to my back, I will be laid up for a couple weeks at a time.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good Morning All,

Day 2...I was happy to read all the comments that the Moderators had to people's meals.  I guess I didn't understand that we needed to have 1 to 3 cups of cooked vegetables at each meal or a "mixing bowl" sized salad if we didn't eat cooked vegetables.

Breakfast: Spinach Frittata, black coffee (tried coconut cream from can and it's a no go).

Lunch: Big salad with avocado, carrots, cucumber, tomato and basic vinagrette, left over pork carnitas, 1/2 apple

Supper: Shrimp stir fry, coconut aminos, broccoli, cabbage, celery, using coconut oil

Is anyone else feeling agitated, or is it just me or is it my job?

Good luck everyone!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 2. Woke up groggy but water, food, and coffee helped. However, I have a feeling my hangover phase this time will be particularly harsh.

Yesterday afternoon I ended up eating an epic bar at work. I need to remember to get some chicken and grill/bake it to bring as a mini meal in the afternoon.

Breakfast was ground beef, sweet potatoes, and spinach hash, topped with mayo.

Lunch will be leftover chili verde and a pear (maybe).

Dinner is going to be pork meatballs, mashed potatoes, and sauteed bell peppers. I'll probably make some kind of dipping sauce for the meatballs to be sure there's enough fat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Starting day 3....I have to admit, yesterday was a rough day. I have had the WORST cravings. I really, really did not like the stir fry I made with coconut aminos. I was hoping it would be a good replacement for soy sauce in my diet but I don't think I will like it much in any dishes. I ended up replacing the stir fry with a large bowl of romaine, spinach, hard boiled egg, and chicken salad with homemade mayo. I brought the same for lunch along with a Dijon mustard vinaigrette my husband made, but after reading through comments I feel like it needs more veggies so I will probably pick some up today. I forgot my breakfast of spinach and egg frittata on the way out the door this morning so I had a banana that was in my bag already instead and I can already tell I will feel hungry all day still :(

Hoping this week flies by and I get out of this gross sugar hangover stage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 1

So I'm starting today, got all my food prepped and I'm ready to do this! 

Breakfast: Crustless Quiche with spinach, green onion & mushrooms with 1/2 avocado 

Lunch: Smoked Brisket with green beans 

Pre-Workout: chicken and raw almonds 

Post -Workout/Dinner: Smoked Chicken with roasted sweet potato/onion with light olive oil 

Workout: Crossfit - Lots of cardio today with a 400 m run and burpees :/ 

Good luck everyone, we got this!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw a post about problematic canned tuna, and that got me worried because I never even thought to look at the ingredients on a can of tuna!  Lesson learned, and happy to say that it looks like mine is OK and so is the canned salmon.  The canned clams are banished to the basement for the next 29 days.  

What about these:  pink and/or keta salmon, vegetable oil (soybean and/or canola), water, contains less than 2% of: ground onion, salt, potato extract, garlic powder, mustard flour, white pepper, beet juice, annatto, rosemary extract, mesquite smoke flavor, lemon juice from concentrate.  Are they in or out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, habanero said:

Saw a post about problematic canned tuna, and that got me worried because I never even thought to look at the ingredients on a can of tuna!  Lesson learned, and happy to say that it looks like mine is OK and so is the canned salmon.  The canned clams are banished to the basement for the next 29 days.  

What about these:  pink and/or keta salmon, vegetable oil (soybean and/or canola), water, contains less than 2% of: ground onion, salt, potato extract, garlic powder, mustard flour, white pepper, beet juice, annatto, rosemary extract, mesquite smoke flavor, lemon juice from concentrate.  Are they in or out?

Out. The vegetable oil does it -- if it could contain soybean, it's not compliant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rhed said:

Out. The vegetable oil does it -- if it could contain soybean, it's not compliant. 

Dagnabbit!  I was hoping those would be a quickie for me.  Thanks for the quick response.  And duh - soy products = soybean oil.  Shows how the brain needs to be retaught so many things it does automatically for us, and we let it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right? So annoying.

Luckily, there are water-only tuna/salmons, and Starkist makes an olive oil-packed tuna, if you need/want the oil. I'd skip anything that listed veggie broth; most of those have a warning that they may contain soy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ready for Day 2!

Meal plans:

B: homemade spaghetti meat sauce over spaghetti squash (Sounds disgusting so early, but it gets the job done!

L: leftover slow cooker pork roast, roasted butternut squash and carrots. Maybe an apple.

D: Eye of round roast (leftover from weekend); sautéd spinach, squash.

I hope everyone has a great day! Happy Tuesday!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, LeeLeeB said:

Question: I'm following the meal plan template in the book and wondering if that's pretty much OK to start?  My meals today:

8:00am breakfast Egg fritatta: ground beef, spinach, tomatoes, onions & bell pepper. 1 small slice. Made the "perfect sausage". 1 small piece., 1/2 grapefruit

12:00pm lunch: protein salad with ranch dressing: 4 oz chicken breast and chopped vegetables -all prepared from whole30 recipes and an apple

4:00pm feeling tired so I ate a banana.  Knowing now not to eat fruit as a snack

5:30: Dinner: spaghetti squash with meat sauce, 1 Adielle's Chicken sausage.  No other veg than the squash but it was more than a cup.

Not sure if this is on the right track.  Will be more aware of portions and vegetables to fruit ratios... :)

 

 

The food looks okay. The real trick is to eat and then assess yourself at 3, 4, 5 hours because only you are going to know if you've eaten enough. If you are hungry at 2-3 hours after a meal, then the previous meal should have been larger. If you can't handle more volume, add in extra fat and a bit more protein. Those are what get you the longer release. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, havingfun said:

Man, it's starting to get hard. Cravings, stress, etc.  BUT, I also feel really empowered.  It's been a while since I've gone 2 days without sugar in any form.  Sad to say, but true.

OK, anyone else constipated?!!  TMI, sorry! I've never had this problem. I drink lots of water, and workout... wondering if it's all the extra fiber from the veggies. 

 

Cravings can be a result of: lack of sleep, stress, relying on sugar sources, even from fruit or nuts. Or they are habit and they have to be powered through. You can totally do this! Drink lots of water (at least half an ounce per pound of your bodyweight (eg...160# person needs 80 ounces/day at least), get good sleep and try to either leave fruit off if it's a problem for you or move it to the afternoon/evening meal. Lots of people report that this helps with cravings. Also make sure you are eating lots of fat.

The constipation will benefit from water, cooked veggies over raw and the addition of fat to each meal. If that's not enough, you can try a magnesium supplement. The bonus of magnesium is that it helps regulate your bowel movements while also helping with sleep! Natural Calm unflavoured is a recommendation you will find here frequently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PaulaWala said:

Is anyone else feeling agitated, or is it just me or is it my job?

 

Check out the timeline linked below. You are approaching "Kill All The Things" stage and it's totally normal and it'll pass. Make sure you are having at least one fist-sized serving of starchy veggie per day and that you are eating enough to go comfortably 4-5 hours between meals. And drink your water! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rhed said:

Right? So annoying.

Luckily, there are water-only tuna/salmons, and Starkist makes an olive oil-packed tuna, if you need/want the oil. I'd skip anything that listed veggie broth; most of those have a warning that they may contain soy.

Costco has a wonderful tuna in oil - nothing else.  Their canned salmon also has no extra ingredients (pink salmon and water).  (Hope it's OK to mention product sources here...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, habanero said:

Costco has a wonderful tuna in oil - nothing else.  Their canned salmon also has no extra ingredients (pink salmon and water).  (Hope it's OK to mention product sources here...)

Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2016 at 8:03 AM, Divajj said:

I use the Whole 30 approved Hazlenut Nutpods. I get them in packs of 12 from Amazon and it's not sweet at all (no sugar) but it's creamy which I like. :-) 

Workout... NTC from the app.

 

Hi there - try nutpods creamer. I use 1 TB in my morning coffee and it's good! whole30 compliant! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 2. Feeling Good surprisingly.  I have surgery scheduled exactly 30 days from Day 1 (yesterday) and am hoping to feel as good as possible by my surgery date. My pre-ops tests (bloodwork, EKG & mamogram) which will be at Day 15. Will be really interesting how those tests come out after no sugar or processed food for 2 weeks. Eye on the prize...eye on the prize.... :)

B:  Breakfast fritatta, 1/2 avocado, arugula and the whole30 ranch dressing.  Black coffee with 1TB nutpod and hot lemon water

L: Protein Salad: 4oz chicken breast, chopped veggies (raw) from TJ, whole30 ranch dressing

D: Beef Brisket, cauliflower rice, mixed greens and the rest of the ranch dressing... (love by the way)

Happy Tuesday everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites