Starting Monday, 10/24- looking for support group

CristinaV

17 hours ago, habanero said:

I gave up coffee several years ago (it was hard, partly because it was a ritual with my fella) and I learned I really hate black tea, but there are so many teas for any mood you have!  I would try a wide variety and not buy a box until you find something you like.  In the morning I love a green jasmine (but there are a bunch of green jasmines I don't care for) or a gunpowder green or rooibos.  There are a bunch that are sweeter (but that is just me because I'm not a sugar person, so something like cinnamon or peppermint tastes sweet to me).  Then a lot of fruity flavors and mixes.  

I had started to go back to coffee (again, that ritual) but am definitely back to my tea.  

Oooo! I LOVE Cinnamon! That's a great suggestion. To me it's like a treat.  I think I'll look for some teas with cinnamon or add some. Thank you! I'm okay with my "peach cobbler" Tazo this morning. But not overly satisfying. 

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How's everyone doing? Yesterday was oddly feeling hard for me, but today I woke up feeling more confident in the process after successfully getting through day 1.  Dinner was pretty good, but still not sure how I feel about the Cali Rice, but I think the taste will become better over time. Even my husband (who's the pickest ever) joined me for my fajita dinner, but of course he opted to have his tortillas since he's not participating. 

Today I'm having:

B: One egg muffin, hashbrowns, strawberries (I'm still full)

L: Dinner leftovers - Chicken Fajitas 

D: Chicken stir fry - again from thenourishinghome.com Whole30 menu

Ex: Crossfit - I will be grabbing something to eat before the workout (not sure what yet) and dinner is always right after.

6 hours ago, havingfun said:

Man, it's starting to get hard. Cravings, stress, etc.  BUT, I also feel really empowered.  It's been a while since I've gone 2 days without sugar in any form.  Sad to say, but true.

OK, anyone else constipated?!!  TMI, sorry! I've never had this problem. I drink lots of water, and workout... wondering if it's all the extra fiber from the veggies. 

B: eggs, spinach, sweet potato, cauliflower patties cooked with oil.  I appreciate the tips from the expert on this forum.  I felt hungry last night, and know it was likely because I didn't eat enough breakfast

L: cabbage unroll ups

D: salmon and sweet potato cauliflower patties. 

Workout- Circuit training class

I hear ya! I couldn't believe the headache I had last night and I'm pretty sure it was from the sugar withdrawl ALREADY! And for me it was the toughest not having my daily hot chocolate I enjoy. An eye opener of how addicted I am to sugar and I really felt like I did well in that category. 

Constipation is the norm for me, so can't comment on that end, but still waiting since I started...

I'm going to restart again tomorrow.

for the September group, I did 12 days and it was amazing. Then all sorts of things failed like my meal planning and today that's what went wrong, again. I forgot my lunch at home and completely fell into old behaviors. I don't know how to get past this hump. I seem to get burned out on meal planning and then go off the proverbial edge. 

so frustrated. Enjoy the rest of your whole 30 guys! 

4 hours ago, habanero said:

Thanks to everyone who is posting, and especially the moderators.  It is not only helpful to see how everyone else is doing it, but it helps to feel less alone with the process (which I believe will be more important later in the program!)

I'm going to stick pretty much with what I did yesterday, because I have the stuff all ready and I'm OK eating all this 2 days in a row (it was good!)

B: spinach fritatta, orange, jasmine tea

L: tuna salad with mayo (holy crow - that mayo recipe!) over a pile'o'greenery and veggies, with the balsamic vinaigrette from the book, and a pear 

D: salmon (recipe in the book) with roasted veggies (last night a conf call ran way over so I wound up doing salmon burger instead of salmon steaks I had in the fridge) and more of that garlic aioli (recipe in the book - yummy!)

Workout:  I'm in super-wimp stage.  I am loathe to say I walked about 40 minutes yesterday (15 each way to the store, then wandered around the store looking for a ripe avocado - no luck) and my back wasn't happy and is still grumbling.  The last thing I need is a back setback so I'm going to do a good stretch routine and then either do a couple short bike rides around the neighborhood, or take a few separate laps around the block on foot during work breaks.  I know that getting moving again is key for me.  I feel like it has been one of my issues the past couple of years - getting back into something active, then getting hurt and being stuck not at square 1, but 10 steps back (I have had several surgeries over the past few years) and if I don't pay attention to my back, I will be laid up for a couple weeks at a time.  

I laughed when you mentioned the avocado, only because I sent my husband to the store to grab me one for my dinner and sure enough he brought me a rotten one. Luckily he grabbed two (because he wasn't sure) and the other one wasn't quite ripe, but it was all I had for my fajitas. LOL

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, FightingHashi said:

I hear ya! I couldn't believe the headache I had last night and I'm pretty sure it was from the sugar withdrawl ALREADY! And for me it was the toughest not having my daily hot chocolate I enjoy. An eye opener of how addicted I am to sugar and I really felt like I did well in that category. 

Constipation is the norm for me, so can't comment on that end, but still waiting since I started...

14 minutes ago, FightingHashi said:

B: One egg muffin, hashbrowns, strawberries (I'm still full)

Hi @FightingHashi - couple suggestions for you. The egg muffin at breakfast isn't enough and doesn't include fat (or at least isn't mentioned). A serving of eggs is the number you can hold in your hand without dropping; at least 3-4 for most women. If you are full before getting this much protein, hold off on the fruits. 

Having a headache and intense cravings is made worse if you aren't eating enough, especially at the morning meal. Work on plating up a full template meal (protein, veggies and fat before adding fruit) and eat as much as you can. Pack up what you can't eat and take it with you to eat again as soon as you feel able (not when hungry but as soon as eating doesn't sound revolting). For you, especially since you appear to be fighting hashimotos (your user name, yes?), you need to get your hormones in line and the best/quickest/most effective way of doing this is eating a proper first meal within an hour of waking. 

Second point, your constipation. Eating more non-starchy green vegetables and making sure you get enough water (half ounce per pound of your body weight) is extremely helpful in getting things moving. Also eating enough food that your waste has enough volume to be moved through your digestive system. You could also try the unsweetened Natural Calm at night. Start slowly and work up until your poops are easy and comfortable. Bonus, magnesium supplementation helps with sleep. :)

22 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

Hi @FightingHashi - couple suggestions for you. The egg muffin at breakfast isn't enough and doesn't include fat (or at least isn't mentioned). A serving of eggs is the number you can hold in your hand without dropping; at least 3-4 for most women. If you are full before getting this much protein, hold off on the fruits. 

Having a headache and intense cravings is made worse if you aren't eating enough, especially at the morning meal. Work on plating up a full template meal (protein, veggies and fat before adding fruit) and eat as much as you can. Pack up what you can't eat and take it with you to eat again as soon as you feel able (not when hungry but as soon as eating doesn't sound revolting). For you, especially since you appear to be fighting hashimotos (your user name, yes?), you need to get your hormones in line and the best/quickest/most effective way of doing this is eating a proper first meal within an hour of waking. 

Second point, your constipation. Eating more non-starchy green vegetables and making sure you get enough water (half ounce per pound of your body weight) is extremely helpful in getting things moving. Also eating enough food that your waste has enough volume to be moved through your digestive system. You could also try the unsweetened Natural Calm at night. Start slowly and work up until your poops are easy and comfortable. Bonus, magnesium supplementation helps with sleep. :)

VERY HELPFUL! Thank you! I was looking at my 2nd egg muffin this morning (cooked in muffin tins with eggs, red pepper, green onion and approved sausage) and was just seeing so much "fat" on my plate with the hashbrowns too (cooked in oil).  I guess maybe I'm just in this mindset that we've been taught for years that eating fat, makes you fat. It's so scary to eat this way at first. My brain says, "eat the fruit, it's healthier".  
Yes, recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's and it's answered a lot of questions on my health issues and thus lead me to this Whole30 journey :) 

Is drinking watered down tea an okay "replacement" for some water? I'm still not a big water fan unless I'm working out, but working on that.  
Hmm...natural calm sounds nice. Does it help at all with sleep? That's another issue I have. I always have to take something to help me sleep. Thank you!!!!

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, FightingHashi said:

Is drinking watered down tea an okay "replacement" for some water? I'm still not a big water fan unless I'm working out, but working on that.  
Hmm...natural calm sounds nice. Does it help at all with sleep? That's another issue I have. I always have to take something to help me sleep. Thank you!!!!

Magnesium supplementation definitely can help with sleep. You might get very vivid dreams/nightmares the first couple days but that goes away.

Tea or water splashed with tea is compliant as long as the ingredients in the tea are all good. Try adding less and less tea because you do eventually want to get to the point where you just want plain, clear water. :)

Hi all!  Happy Day 2.  (not all that happy for some it seems....but the sugar/carb withdrawal will pass)

Per LadyShanny's recommendation regarding pre and post workout meals I tried this morning.  I haven't had success with this in the past, but I'll try again.  And I'll read up here to see what other people do.

Pre WO:  Ground pork with sesame oil and cabbage.  Black coffee.

WO:  45 minute Orange Theory

Post WO:  Chicken thigh with sweet potato.

Breakfast (from the Whole Foods market bar --  I checked all the ingredients!):  Buffalo chicken salad, roasted broccoli in olive oil, cinnamon butternut squash, beet salad, roasted carrots, plain kombucha

Lunch will be:  Sweet potato soup, salad with greek dressing, red onion, tomatoes, olives, Tin of sardines.

Dinner will be:  Chicken Nanking from Well Fed 2 with Cauli rice.

I started yesterday! This will be my second W30. I am soooo overly excited to get that awesome sleep again.... I took today to roast a whole spaghetti squash, beets, and sweet potatoes in the oven. I like to do multiple things when I turn it on. Now I have spaghetti squash for some tasty "latkes" that are great with compliant applesauce and pork chops. My freezer is my friend, as I'm not so organized that I plan out every meal, I just pull out protein for the next day and use up veggies as much as I can. 

Going to try to make bone broth in the slow cooker this round (a total money saver!) I have been saving all my onion/carrot/leek/celery/parsley stems & scraps in a plastic bag in my freezer so I can throw them in. This way it literally is free, since I would have thrown all that stuff away anyways.... Never made it in the slow cooker.

I think the main thing is I think about what I eat before I eat it. I pack lunch/dinner when I have to work and have a plate for my husband as well so he isn't tempted to order pizza lol. I make stuff that reheats well or can be made in advance so that there is always a meal ready to sit down, eat, and really enjoy.

Good luck everyone!

Hello, I'm new to whole30 and this forum, joining a day late! I also started on 10/24.

My diet is generally healthy but I tend to nosedive into a bowl of candy or a plate of fries. I am trying to get my cravings under control and deal with a few persistent health issues, which are minor, but nagging.  I think my biggest challenges will be not snacking, not relying on dried fruit in place of sugary snacks, and since entertaining is a big part of my work life, how I will handle invitations for drinks and dinners, which at times are mandatory for me to attend.

Yesterday was great, I was able to cook and prepare all meals at home. Today I worked, was rushed this morning and didn't eat enough for breakfast, or for lunch, and I can feel what a mistake that was. I won't get home until 11pm so not a great time for a big dinner. 

Tomorrow I need to make a better plan!

I started 10/23 and would love to join this group! I am on day three woke with a headache that I can't shake. Felt extra hungry today. 

Breakfast: Two scrambled eggs with salsa, 1/2 sweet potato with olive oil drizzle, roasted zucchini squash, wholly guacamole and half a banana. 1 serving of pre- made paleo trail mix. I eat my biggest meal at breakfast.

Lunch: Two scrambled eggs with salsa, 1/2 sweet potato, one small avocado, roasted zucchini squash, small apple. 1 serving of pre- made paleo trail mix.

Dinner: Not sure yet, I have some pre-made paleo meals that I plan to try. 

I am trying to drink lots of water and la croix. 

I miss my nighttime wine--badly!

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, tiglilygirl said:

I started 10/23 and would love to join this group! I am on day three woke with a headache that I can't shake. Felt extra hungry today. 

Breakfast: Two scrambled eggs with salsa, 1/2 sweet potato with olive oil drizzle, roasted zucchini squash, wholly guacamole and half a banana. 1 serving of pre- made paleo trail mix. I eat my biggest meal at breakfast.

Lunch: Two scrambled eggs with salsa, 1/2 sweet potato, one small avocado, roasted zucchini squash, small apple. 1 serving of pre- made paleo trail mix.

Dinner: Not sure yet, I have some pre-made paleo meals that I plan to try. 

I am trying to drink lots of water and la croix. 

I miss my nighttime wine--badly!

Eggs when they are your sole source of protein are as many as you can hold without dropping... that's generally at least 3-4 for most people... your meals are very much on the small side if that's your biggest meal of the day... take a look at the template again (linked below) and make your meals match.  You want your meals to get you 4-5 hours between without the need to snack or 'white knuckle' through.

9 hours ago, ladyshanny said:

The food looks okay. The real trick is to eat and then assess yourself at 3, 4, 5 hours because only you are going to know if you've eaten enough. If you are hungry at 2-3 hours after a meal, then the previous meal should have been larger. If you can't handle more volume, add in extra fat and a bit more protein. Those are what get you the longer release. 

Thank you for your input!  :) Today is day 2 and feeling ok.  Do you ever find that you lose your appetite? 

I ate breakfast - and had just protein for lunch - haven't been hungry today - so weird.  I'm going to have dinner but I'm feeling tired so I know I didn't eat enough today... 

7 hours ago, FightingHashi said:

7 hours ago, FightingHashi said:

The  sugar withdrawal is real! It's going to be my biggest challenge with this program. I've done CF a few times, and really like it!  It's kind of pricy in my area, so after their summer special, I stopped, but am getting some classes in at the gym...

7 hours ago, Divajj said:

I'm going to restart again tomorrow.

for the September group, I did 12 days and it was amazing. Then all sorts of things failed like my meal planning and today that's what went wrong, again. I forgot my lunch at home and completely fell into old behaviors. I don't know how to get past this hump. I seem to get burned out on meal planning and then go off the proverbial edge. 

so frustrated. Enjoy the rest of your whole 30 guys! 

Day 12 is really far! You should commend yourself for getting there.  The first few days, there is a lot of energy and willpower, and excitement, then it all goes away. Maybe plan your meals out farther in advance, anticipating the drop off.  I've frozen some of mine already.  Knowing I won't be in the mood to cook in a week or two.  

What a day!

Today was a lot better for me.  I had a bigger, more compliant breakfast, and I felt full throughout the day, and less cravings.  I started working out just before picking my kids up from school.  There is this sweet spot window that I have found, and that helps me with my mindset going into the evening craziness. 

I still think "OMG there is no way I can do this for 30 days!" in my head at least 10 times a day.  Not because I feel terrible, but because it still feels very much like a diet and I'm having to frequently say no to things.

Day 2 almost done! I didn't sleep well last night but it was mostly non-food related.  I feel pretty good today but I had a hard time eating enough.  I've never had that issue!  I'm trying hard to make sure I fill the full plate w/ the template.  I realized today that (one of) my biggest problem spot(s) is when I walk in the house from work.  Without thinking, I immediately go to the fridge/pantry and start snacking until dinner.  That awareness these last two days (and then saying no to myself) has been empowering.

My biggest mental block is how much time I spend worry about meal planning (newbie status), meal planning, shopping, cooking, preparing, etc.  I hope that will lighten a bit as time goes on! Day 2 was:

B: protein salad (chicken/celery/grapes/almonds/red onion/homemade mayo) on big bed of baby spinach **I agree, the homemade mayo is SO good**, small sweet potato w/ cinnamon

L: roasted chicken and vegetables + 2 cups of green tea, 1 seltzer water

pre w/o: hard boiled eggs w/ Franks hot sauce

w/o: 45 minute spin class

post w/o D: paleo clean chili, whole green pepper (for dipping - weird but good!)

52 minutes ago, LeeLeeB said:

Thank you for your input!  :) Today is day 2 and feeling ok.  Do you ever find that you lose your appetite? 

I ate breakfast - and had just protein for lunch - haven't been hungry today - so weird.  I'm going to have dinner but I'm feeling tired so I know I didn't eat enough today... 

I have felt the same for the first two days! I'm not that hungry... I had to kind of force myself to eat bigger lunches... and breakfast has never been a regular part of my routine, so that's an adjustment!

3 hours ago, snowflower said:

Pre WO:  Ground pork with sesame oil and cabbage.  Black coffee.

Thought about this all day and had to run out and get some ground pork tonight!  Made it but didn't eat it with:  onion, napa cabbage (I have a bunch still from my garden and have been looking for something to do with it), snow peas, garlic, ginger and sesame oil.  Not sure I'll have it for breakfast, but thanks for the great idea, sunflower. 

And a bunch of cooked ground pork left over.  Now to figure out what to do with that...

Day 2

Today went well. I find the hardest thing for me is not snacking. I am definitely not hungry, but got into a habit of snacking throughout the day- its the whole mind over matter. I am satisfied and not hungry, therefore I do not need to eat. My daily mantra LOL.

B: 3 eggs scrambled with bell peppers, onion, and leftover roasted squash with hot sauce. small handful of almonds for fat. I had a hard time eating the entire scramble- will maybe try just 2 eggs with lots of veggies. Black coffee

L: left over dinner- brisket, cauliflower mash, roasted squash. handful of olives for fat.

D: totally was not hungry! Had 1/2 chicken breast and a sweet potato with ghee.

Tomorrow I have my first training session with my personal trainer.  Excited but nervous too.

This week will be challenging for me- I am traveling all week for work. Will definitely pack safe snacks just in case, but the temptation will be a huge challenge!

Archived