Starting Monday, 10/24- looking for support group

CristinaV

Day 6 and I was tired today...  I know part of that was the OTF morning workout (@snowflower those burpee series were killer!) but I also think that my body is trying to do it's work and I need to get more sleep!  I made a whole 30 buffalo chicken dip recipe to take to a football watch party today.  The spread was unbelievable - every dip, chip, crockpot, dessert you can imagine.  I normally would load up my plate with a bite/scoop of everything... but I waited until I was hungry and it had been about 4.5 hours from breakfast to make my plate of buffalo chicken dip, veggies and guac!  No one noticed a thing and people loved the dish (they had no idea it was whole 30).

pre-w: leftover squash/turkey hash

post-w/B: steak and eggs w/ franks, roasted carrots and cauliflower, cup of sweet potato soup (this is so delicious), coffee w/ nutpods

L: buffalo chicken dip, carrots/celery/peppers/cauliflower, guacamole, 2 la croix w/ lime

D: bowl of chili, salad w/ avocado, peppers, baby tomatoes, etc + cilantro-lime mayo dressing, half green apple

@FightingHashi I heat up ghee, cook diced onions & garlic in the pan and then add the bag of riced c.  I break it up a lot with a wooden spoon and try to kind of "fluff" it.  It's never as light as I'd like it to be though!

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy good mother!  Last night I made the pork chop and applesauce, and the butternut/kale/chard salad from the book and WOW!  DH usually likes to go out to eat and I made a bit of a big deal about cooking him a special dinner.  He was a little leery (although didn't let on) about what it would be since he knows I'm doing this program.  

I went to the good italian pork store (we are really fortunate to have many, many sources of good stuff around here and have several italian pork stores within an 8 mile radius) and got 2 ginormous pork chops, had a couple apples from the farm stand, and butternut, chard, garlic and kale from my garden.  We both loved it.  Fortunately, I have left overs from my dinner (he vacuumed up the entire chop).  

I'm grateful for the baby step by step meat cooking instructions in the book because I honestly never learned how to cook meat so of course, haven't had consistent success with it over the years when I've tried.  I'm working up my list of things to cook today to plan for next week.  Especially now since I have a better sense of how this works, and a bunch of other small reasons (my avocados will finally be ripe, OLIVES!)

• Moderators

@kamie102416

There are loads of discussions about fresh breath and gum chewing on the forums.  Google is your best bet to find them.  If you google Whole30 fresh breath or Whole30 gum alternative or something similar, you'll get lots of threads you can read through.

Chewing is not ideal when you're not eating... it screws up your digestion, tricks your body into producing stomach acids etc... because the motion of chewing gets your body thinking food is incoming... not good... brush your teeth and then drink water or tea or just power through... I used to be a huge gum chewer until I realized it gave me horrible gas/bloating... 

Hello all.  Happy Sunday and Happy Day 7!

Making a shepherd's pie tonight with cauliflower mash on top.  It's in the oven now and smells so yummy.  

Slept horrible last night and had to take some Advil to relieve my leg cramps.  Then hurt my shoulder at Orange Theory, so didn't get a great workout in.  It was my Day 6 of Hell Week which will earn me a t-shirt.  My...what I'll put myself through for a free shirt.

Pre WO:  chicken burger, spicy sesame seed butter goo

WO:  Orange Theory 60 min (but only did 15 minutes of intense before injury, then took it easy)

Post WO:  chicken burger, potato, black coffee

Breakfast:  Nothing :(.....I know.... I know.... I just wasn't hungry.  

Lunch:  Whole Foods buffet buffalo chicken salad, broccoli with olive oil, mashed yams, butternut squash, kombucha

Dinner:  Shepherd's pie with cauli mash, roasted carrots and turnips, green salad with olive oil vinaigrette

I did not get leg cramps last night!

Today we made it to the amusement park . I wasn't even tempted by the snacks or soda.

B: 3 egg scramble with zucchini, red bell pepper, mushrooms, and spinach drizzled with lemon extra Virgin olive oil .  It was huge and delicious ! 

L: small and late because of days events- 1 meatball and a handful of greenbeans with home made mayo.

D: spaghetti squash , sausage, and a compliant roasted garlic marinara sauce I found at target.  and probably a salad with my ranch mayo failure . 

Is it bad that I am already afraid that I'm not going to lose anything?  I have been struggling with some extra weight for over a year now with little to no success.  I am a very active person who works out 6 days a week and recently ran a half marathon, but still struggle to fit into clothes that I was wearing a year ago.  Not weighing myself is killing me!!!

Day 8

Feeling good today! Slept in and made a big breakfast for my two boys. We had chicken/apple sausage, eggs, tomatoes and sweet potato. YUM.

I survived the movie/date night yesterday without any issues. I have a salad (no dressing) and a chicken kabob without butter or salt added. Then we had a great latte with coconut milk--yum! I felt really good at the end of our evening!

Had a nice hot cup of coffee and then went to the gym and two grocery stores. When I got home I still felt energized, and ready to get things done (which is unlike me...I get grumpy grocery shopping). Ate a few bites of trail mix big glass of water and off I went. We did a deep clean of all three bathrooms, and finally cleaned my sons bedroom. Before I knew it, it was 2:30 and I wasn't hungry. I showered and decided I better eat something. Had my last bit of left over curry and wholly guac. After I ate though I started getting more hungry, I have now had an apple with one tbsp of Justin's Almond Butter, and a serving of trail mix. Should I have eaten closer to 1 even if I wasn't hungry??

Attempting a Whole 30 compliant turkey meatball tonight, a little leery because it has coconut flour in it--but we shall see, the boys are dead set on spaghetti and meatballs. I will be having sauce (which took me forever to find at Target today) and meatballs over spaghetti squash with a salad topped with Tessamaes Ranch (my first try tonight). I also bought some jalapeno stuffed olives, so I may have a couple of those too ;). 

I hope you have all had a restful Sunday!

17 minutes ago, Bethjl said:

Is it bad that I am already afraid that I'm not going to lose anything?  I have been struggling with some extra weight for over a year now with little to no success.  I am a very active person who works out 6 days a week and recently ran a half marathon, but still struggle to fit into clothes that I was wearing a year ago.  Not weighing myself is killing me!!!

I have this discussion with my self EVERY DAY!! Hang in there :)

25 minutes ago, Bethjl said:

It is KILLING me too! I made my husband hide my scale. I told myself I'm doing this NOT to lose weight, but to help my inflammation and auto immune, but fact is my goal in everything is to lose weight. Sad but true. It's good that we are not weighing. I know myself, and if I weren't losing, or (gasp) gained, I would get discouraged and stop, so give it the 30 days. I have weighed at least once a week for years. We can do this!  

Happy to have made it through Day 7!  I'm a project manager at heart and I just can't help it.  I put together some notes/observations for myself about this first week and I'm wondering what others may have come up with:

• Happy to have kept to the program 100%!
  • Feel like I ate too much (which may be why I had trouble eating breakfast early enough).  I'm going to back off a bit next week on serving sizes.
  • Trying to put in working out didn't work for me (little too gung-ho and now I've strained my back) but I'm committed to next week do something gentle every day.
  • Very caught up on my sleep.  I can't sleep any more!  Lol.  8 hours regularly is too much for me.  I'm more like 6-7 and am going to go back to that.
  • Tight pants are less snug.
  • Not weighing myself has been a relief!  Totally agree with the discussion about this in the book.
  • Not eating enough fruit (too full from the meal, it doesn't appeal to me right after a savory meal, wind up waiting too long).  Maybe cutting back on serving size will help this.
  • Went to yoga today and was able to sustain an amazing Ohmmmmm!  That has to mean something.  

Thanks to everyone again for the postings.  It's given me great food ideas, helped me feel less alone, and there is something about even fantasizing that someone cares about what you're talking about.  

I just spent 4 hours cooking various recipes from the whole30 book.  Chicken Chowder tasted amazing.  I feel like I am obsessed with food; planning it, shopping for it, cooking, eating and the dreaded cleaning up because I'm a messy cook.  Walked about 3 miles which is good for me lately with my RA causing me pain.  

B- eggs, spinach, squash, avacado

L- Lara bar☹️️, we were out hiking and I had no options

S-Cabbage unrolls and a taste of chicken chowder.  1/2 apple

On October 24, 2016 at 5:45 PM, Gwyneth J.N. said:

Day 2 is done! I'm toast. Very tired but feeling proud of myself. I had really fallen into some terrible habits -- WAY too much sugar and junky foods. It feels great to be taking care of myself. Thanks for getting this going, Cristina!

Day 7 and feel good.  I went through a couple days where I had no appetite at all.  Day 4 was all about the sugar detox and the symptoms that follow. But I made it through to day 7 and feel so grateful that I kept to the plan and preparing my meals.  I've cleaned out my pantry and got rid of all the crap! That felt good :) 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, habanero said:

• Not eating enough fruit (too full from the meal, it doesn't appeal to me right after a savory meal, wind up waiting too long).  Maybe cutting back on serving size will help this.

Hey there;

Fruit is optional and many people go without it entirely.  Don't cut back on your serving sizes of veggies, protein and fat just to fit a fruit in... veggies are always a more optimal source of nutrients than fruit.

13 hours ago, Bethjl said:

I'd say it's normal, but resist the urge. NOT weighing yourself is as much a rule as no pancakes is a rule.  Knowing that I have the urge to check the scale inspired me to do something totally different with this Whole30.....I didn't weigh myself before I started!! I did it on purpose thinking it might help get me away from thinking about the scale. It's helped. Not entirely...I still have those thoughts especially first thing in the morning, but I've resisted. 

I'm reading Food Freedom Forever which has been insightful. I highly recommend it. Her discussion about our obsession with the number on the scale is very helpful. 

Hang in there.  Maybe we should all post a NSV = Non-Scale Victory daily (if we have one) to shift the focus away from the scale?  

My NSV for the day: smelling a bag of Halloween candy and not even feeling tempted to have a piece or 10. My sugar dragon is sleeping soundly. 

B: 2 eggs, 3 yolk scramble in ghee, kale, olive oil, black coffee

L: magic mushroom chicken legs, salad with EVOO vinaigrette, carrots, parsnips, coconut oil 

D: shepherds pie leftovers

Day 7 (yesterday) I baked traditional banana bread muffins for some friends who came over in the morning.  Not being able to taste test and lick the spoon was great.  I am noticing all of the little ways I had previously eaten/snacked/tried things when I had no need to.  Empty calories/feeding the sugar dragon...

B: southwest scrambled eggs, sauteed spinach, few bites of leftover steak.  Coffee w/ nutpods.       L: mexican tuna boats from W30 book, carrots in guacamole.      Pre-W: shredded buffalo chicken and avocado slices.        Post-W/D: pesto chicken & veggies - pinterest find - chicken thighs, asparagus, sun dried tomatoes & cherry tomatoes grilled and tossed in W30 pesto... YUM. Also had a small side of cantaloupe.  Peppermint tea before bed.

Day 8  (today): I put brisket in the crockpot this AM - looking forward to dinner!

Today... B: scrambled eggs with asparagus + shredded buffalo chicken. Cold coffee w/ coconut cream blended.     L: pesto chicken & veggies, sauteed kale, la croix, apple       D: braised beef brisket from W30, cauliflower mash, steamed broccoli

We are having a big Halloween bash at the end of the day with kids & adults.  I know I'm going to feel so good declining all the crap and candy.  I haven't missed chocolate yet (chocolate was a daily thing for me) so hopefully it's not too painful!  That'll be my non-scale victory for sure.

Day 8:

Honestly, I can't believe I'm writing here this morning. Last night I laid in bed with a migraine (not due to the program, just my general health issues) and thought to myself, "I'm done with this damn diet!".  I was feeling defeated and my hopes for curing my GERD (or whatever this is - drs can't seem to figure it out) and helping my Hashimotos seemed like a losing battle. But I woke up feeling mostly better...still a headache and went about with my good breakfast and told myself to buck up and keep going. I'm already almost a 1/3 of the way done and I think this next week is going to be the most difficult before I start to maybe feel some changes. Today I have a Dr. Appt with an Endocrinologist and I'm hopeful for some new feedback and support from her. But really the GERD is what's controlling my daily life, completely aggravating and sometimes devastating. I go back to the Gastro on Wednesday and I'm uncertain that will get me anywhere, as it hasn't in the past. 

Anyhow, enough whining...I'm still here and plan to be here for 30 days! I already purchased all my food for the week and I'm such a penny saver that I would never toss anything out and will follow through with my meal plans. 

B: Egg, hasbrowns, carrots and strawberries

L: Leftover chicken stir fry (w30)

D: Salmon asparagus recipe on thenourishinghome

I've brought a hard boiled egg, carrots and apple for snacks and pre-WO because when my GERD is bad, like it has been for a few days, I have to eat to sooth my throat. 

Workout: Crossfit

Day 9!!

So all weekend I felt like I was turning a corner, more energy, less bloated, not starving, sleeping somewhat better and then...Last night I barely slept. I couldn't fall asleep and I couldn't stay asleep. Feeling puffy and bloated this morning and really hungry!! Doesn't give me a lot of encouragement this Monday morning, but I know that I have only eaten and consumed WHOLE 30 complaint foods, so I keep pushing forward. 

Breakfast: Seasoned ground turkey with sweet potato hash, and egg cooked in olive oil. 1 pkg wholly guacamole, banana and a 1.5 servings of trail mix-- I didn't feel full, just made myself drink lots of water. 2-3 cups black coffee.

Lunch:  Shredded pork butt and mashed sweet potatoes, with ghee (just bought some but haven't tried yet), if I have time I might add in some previously frozen spinach, apple.

Workout planned--bag is packed, will be quick to get home for dinner before we go trick or treating :). 

Dinner: Not sure yet, probably a pre-made paleo meal, Pesto Chicken with mixed veggies cooked in olive oil, 1 pkg wholly guacamole.

Post trick or treating snack, probably a kombucha tea (I LOVE THIS STUFF- I just wish it was cheaper), and maybe an apple and Justin's almond butter. (I know, NO snacking, but I can't lie and say I won't want some of the candy everyone will be eating when we return home....its a compromise!)

HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYONE! 

Speaking of sleeping, I've never slept well anyways before this process and I can't say I've felt any change, but I see some of you are suffering.  Does anyone have any good natural or other sleep remedies? I've heard good and bad notes on Melatonin (because it's a hormone) which I use from time to time. And then I have my prescription sleepers that I really try not to take because they actually make me more jittery before I fall asleep and they really don't help that well and make me wake up groggy.

10 minutes ago, FightingHashi said:

Speaking of sleeping, I've never slept well anyways before this process and I can't say I've felt any change, but I see some of you are suffering.  Does anyone have any good natural or other sleep remedies? I've heard good and bad notes on Melatonin (because it's a hormone) which I use from time to time. And then I have my prescription sleepers that I really try not to take because they actually make me more jittery before I fall asleep and they really don't help that well and make me wake up groggy.

Are you doing a wind down before bed?  No electronics or news or other brain stimulus an hour before bed, no caffeine after breakfast.  I have been forcing myself to get into bed and relax an hour before I want to go to sleep, maybe read or listen to quiet music?  I feel completely caught up on sleep after last week.  Other ideas are a sleep tea (lavender chamomile is very relaxing) or a few drops of lavender on the pillow/bedsheets.  

@habanero I do have a wind down process :)  I even tried some meditation last week, which helped me relax in the moment, but as soon as I "came to" I was wide awake again. And I don't drink tea past the afternoon. I think someone may have mentioned the sleep teas in our very early discussions. I'll have to look into that.

3 hours ago, FightingHashi said:

I have tried Valerian root but nothing natural or otherwise seems to help me. I usually have to take a low dose ambien to even get close to falling asleep before midnight. I have done the bedtime routine, herbal tea, bath, you name it. I have been this way forever! 

7 hours ago, tiglilygirl said:

Day 9!!

So all weekend I felt like I was turning a corner, more energy, less bloated, not starving, sleeping somewhat better and then...Last night I barely slept. I couldn't fall asleep and I couldn't stay asleep. Feeling puffy and bloated this morning and really hungry!! Doesn't give me a lot of encouragement this Monday morning, but I know that I have only eaten and consumed WHOLE 30 complaint foods, so I keep pushing forward. 

Can totally empathize -  Except for the morning hunger, this was totally me today. Actually considered calling in sick, but didn't want to use the hours. Am glad I pushed forward, as the day did get better. Not sure what happened last night, but hopefully tonight will be better. I like my evening routine of herbal tea and reading before bed - will stick with it tonight.

B-sweet potato hash w/3 eggs; L-salad w/pulled pork & homemade ranch; D-turkey bacon avocado wrap w/salad and salsa

Am still having cravings, so am paying more attention to them and my body. I find the cravings are tied to two things: emotion or thirst. It's good that I'm recognizing this now and feel proud of that accomplishment. I tried the distraction technique today. Walked around the floor at work and stopped at the break area for a glass of water. Worked okay, but I know I need to be better able to deal with the emotional side. This will come with time - must be patient.

16 minutes ago, PaulaWala said:

Where did everyone go from this group that started on October 24th? 

I'm still here!  I guess this is Day 9 and I'm still plugging along.  Happy to be learning some new cleaner cooking techniques.  

Some people may not need the support as much now that they are grooving, some people might not be at the computer constantly, some may have dropped out (this program is not easy and it seems like everyone has their own struggles - mine is too much meat!), some may not like such a big group, or may not feel like they're getting what they want out of the program.  

I'm in this for the whole haul since I'm not specifically looking to lose weight (although very much need to) rather I'm looking for that reset.  I was there once before and know that it will give me the energy and the being in touch with my own body, more in touch with actual hunger vs. thirst vs. reflex action.  That is what will give me the foundation to continue for the next several months, which is what I need to do to get back to where I want to be weight wise and just not feeling emtionally hostage to food.  I had lost and kept off for 3 years a lot of weight doing a similar program to kick start it all, so I know it works if I stick with it.  And to me the community/camaraderie is essential.  I feel like I know what I need.   

How are you doing, @PaulaWala?

Archived