Lame Beef Bone Broth

Kevinb23

Hello. 

Newbie to Whole 30.  While I've made soups from bones before I've done it in a shorter period of time (8 hrs) and used better than boullon (BTB) to enhance the flavor.  I'm trying my best to make some beef bone broth for my Whole 30 experience but after about 18 hours it's nothing more than flavor water. I roasted the bones (regular marrow bones and ox tails) and have simmered them over the course of two days. The bones are breaking apart and the marrow has been released but still not much flavor.  

This morning I added some short ribs (pan seared).  The flavor is still weak so I just added a boneless shank. 

Any recommendations for beefing (pun kind of intended) up the flavor.  I so want a rich flavored broth that matches the stuff I make with the BTB.  Please help.  

Thanks

Kevin

• Moderators

Mush is fine, you strain it out anyway... I"m making Turkey broth in the crockpot right now and the celery, carrots and onion are barely recognizeable... totes okay...

Did you use apple cider vinegar also?  Otherwise it's a mystery to me why you wouldn't get a lovely flavourful broth :(

Yeah, I used Braggs ACV.   I'm going to let it set tonight, maybe let the fat congeal, clean things out, try to simmer it some more tomorrow with some view veggies, etc. I was hoping that someone might have.a secret weapon (add some beef - which I tried today or something like that).  

Dem Bones, Dem Bones, Dem Bones...more bone broth secrets, click on the links below.

Dem bones, dem bones, dem (surprisingly expensive!!) bones ...

forum.whole30.com/.../23212-dem-bones-dem-bones-dem-surprisingly-...
Nov 17, 2014 - At the three Whole Foods grocery stores I've checked, beef bones are $4.99/pound. The local butcher (Marczyk Fine Foods) has them for ...

http://forum.whole30.com/topic/222-looking-for-some-bone-broth-101-tips/

Beef Bone Broth

2-3 lbs beef bones (I usually use feet, but marrow or knuckle are supposed to be good too)

optional: 1-2 lbs meaty pieces like shanks

2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

2 medium onions, chopped

2 stalks celery, chopped

3 carrots, peeled and cut into segments

cold water

1 bay leaf

thyme or rosemary as desired

If you have the time, roast the bones in the oven for added flavor. You can roast them at 350 until browned. If not, no worries- I usually skip that step. Place the bones in a large slow cooker and pour in vinegar. Add vegetables and fill the slow cooker until there is about 3/4-1 inch of water above the bones. Add spices.

I like to simmer broth on low for at least 24 hours, but I'd check it at 12 to see what you think.

When broth has reached desired consistency, turn off the slow cooker. Strain broth into a large pot and then transfer to jars. If you want your broth to be as free of tiny bits and pieces as possible, you can strain it through cheesecloth. I'm cheap and don't mind, so I skip this step. After you have transferred the broth to storage jars, place them in the fridge. Refrigerate them overnight. In the morning, you will see a layer of solid fat on top. This will be a whitish-yellow color, while the broth itself is brown. Skim off this layer. Voila, broth!

After simmering for however many hours (sometimes all night), I strain out all the solids, then heat the broth uncovered and allow it to reduce; that will intensify the flavors. I never salt it before storing or freezing, but when you use it, it's going to need plenty of salt.

Stephanie

• 2 weeks later...

I've been buying pigs trotters and chicken feet and necks. I just chuck them in the slow cooker witg carrots and onion and a bouquet garni, and leave it all week. It just gets topped up with water from cooking veggies and ladled off  for making soup and gravy by boiling it down adding tomato paste, all week it just left on. It gets better and better. I also cook an other cuts of meat on the top of the stock pot s contents then finish it in the oven. Oxtail soup is fab, brisket, lamb henry, shin of beef, etc. As long as the pots always on there's not health issues as far as I can see.

• Administrators
25 minutes ago, PatriciaNY said:

@MeadowLily why would you dis guard the fat on top of your bone broth?  That is liquid gold!  When I made my first bone broth it was awesome fat and all!! Just sayin :rolleyes: 

Depending on where you procure your bones, if they are not grass-fed/properly raised, the toxins, steroids, hormones are stored in the fat and it's best to just toss that. If your bones came from ideal animals, go ahead and keep that fat. :) 

Archived