Will a lot of fruit stop you from getting fat adapted?

Yesterday I ended up eating a lot of fruit.

Mainly poor planning.

Me and my cousin (who is also doing the diet) took our three little kids (6, almost 3, and 1) to Eugene to play at a trampoline park and shop at trader joes. We planned on stopping at a Paleo restraunt for lunch but the kida were not going to be able to behave well for that so we went home.

Since we planned a lunch stop we pretty much only brought fruit and nuts and cheese sticks for the kids for snacks, assuming the adults could last.

Well, after jumping an hour at the trampoline park I was starving (also this was five hours after breakfast) but home was an hour away, plus then we'd have to cook from scratche, so I had an apple and a banana on the way home (and a small hand full of nuts).

Coincidentally I had also had half an apple with breakfast

Probly no so coincidentally I was craving sweets at dinner and had some berries... and a sweet potato.

And I was oddly hungry before bed and had a potato 

Today I am back on track... but will all that sugar hurt me in the long run?  (As in prevent fat adaption).  Obviously yesterday I was hungrier then usual and craving sweet... and i blame the fruit

but that is one day...

Will it have a negative effect on the long run 

(PS

Next time I will pack a nice snack such as chicken and avacado. Or tuna salad with celery stick)

• Moderators

No, one day like that isn't going to prevent you from being fat adapted, it's a process... 

Make sure you're making your meals according to the template, ensuring that you're filling your plate (1-3 cups) of veggies before eating fruit with meals.

Normal for me (on the diet) is 2 peices of fruit (almost always one at lunch, the other with breakfast, or dinner, or snack- used to always have one with snack but someone here told me not to.) I try not to have too much fruit because it sets me up to crave sugar (like yesterday).  Usually lunch and dinner.

And average one starch a day (usually dinner) such as squash or sweet potato or normal potato or parspisps.

I try to plan meals around the template.  I think I may occasionally fall short on veggies, like half a plate instead of 3/4 a plate

It's weird how too much fruit and starch can make me hungry.  I wouldn't think it would work like that.  Inwould have assume more calories would make me fuller not hungrier

• Administrators
17 hours ago, Medowsweet said:

I try not to have too much fruit because it sets me up to crave sugar (like yesterday). 

It's weird how too much fruit and starch can make me hungry.  I wouldn't think it would work like that.  Inwould have assume more calories would make me fuller not hungrier

This is amazing self-revelation that you should take to heart. Your body is telling you directly, "I don't like a lot of fruit, please don't". It's wonderful that you have figured this out.

If you wish to eat fruit daily (you don't have to, it's not a requirement), you can minimize the impact of it by never having alone as a snack. Include it as part of your meal. Chicken and peppers simmered in coconut milk with cubed pineapple. Berries in a salad. Apples stewed with pork. Try that instead of eating hand-fruits after your meal. You can also try moving any fruit or starch consumption to your last meal of the day. Many people report increased cravings, false hunger, earlier hunger if they have fruit/starch at the morning meal.

• 1 month later...
On 24/10/2016 at 3:39 PM, ladyshanny said:

This is amazing self-revelation that you should take to heart. Your body is telling you directly, "I don't like a lot of fruit, please don't". It's wonderful that you have figured this out.

Sorry but can you justify how sugar cravings after eating sugar is the body's way of saying 'I don't like this, don't do it'? If someone is following a (relatively) low carb diet and as such is lacking glycogen stores then the body is infact desperate for carbs. Hell, one could argue that even if glycogen stores are full the body is desperate for carbs, it's just a survival mechanism to stack up as much body fat as possible!

1 hour ago, firemansa said:

Sorry but can you justify how sugar cravings after eating sugar is the body's way of saying 'I don't like this, don't do it'? If someone is following a (relatively) low carb diet and as such is lacking glycogen stores then the body is infact desperate for carbs. Hell, one could argue that even if glycogen stores are full the body is desperate for carbs, it's just a survival mechanism to stack up as much body fat as possible!

Whole30 is not a low carb food plan.

It's the (natural) sugars in fruit that are the issue. While everyone is different, eating fruit on its own sets off cravings or hunger for many.

The Whole30 is a relatively low carb diet, when we're comparing it to the SAD. The fact that the authors emphasise the goal of reaching fat adaption makes it innately 'low carb' - again, in relation to the SAD, otherwise fat adaption wouldn't be attainable. 

I agree that consuming fruit by itself (or combined with other foods) can lead to further cravings for sugar - what i'm disputing is the claim that these cravings are a biological response which translates to: "I don't like a lot of fruit". 

Just spitballing this, so bear with me if it's rambling.  So it's not so much that increased hunger following excessive fructose consumption is literally a sign that your body "doesn't like fruit", because, as you say, the body is built to store calories.  I see it more as a maladaptive response due to the modern world of engineered food, in which fruit is much sweeter, products maximize taste over satiety, etc.  So the excessive fruit for some people kind of "hijacks" the biological drive for calories, and leads to increased insulin resistance and other associated problems.  When doing a program like Whole30, people are told to trust the process, the rules will provide proper nourishment, etc., and so when someone is having these unusual hunger pangs or cravings, and thinking, "what's the deal, I'm following the rules, etc", then that is why we'd say it's a signal your body doesn't like "too much fruit" because the craving cycle isn't one that supports the goals of the program.  Whole30 is as much a psychological reset as it is a physiological one, and many of us have reinforced dopamine reward pathways over the years based on choices which do not support optimal health.

Archived