Oct 25 is day 1 of round 3 after a million missteps.

Jennifer824

2 hours ago, Idee said:

Hi Everyone 

I'm Idee a newbie just starting Day 4.  Would love to join your support group. 

This is my first Whole 30 but I've done many food plans in the past and have lost and regained the same 25 pounds over and over again.   

Ugh I have to go to a dinner party and can't decide if I should call the hostess ahead of time and be one of those people who have to announce their food or eat ahead of time and push the food around on my plate and pretend to eat.

What do you think?

Have you been to her parties before?  If so, you probably have a good idea if she's going to pull out pre-made or non-compliant stuff, or putting out plated courses, or if you have a chance of making healthy selections at a buffet or with passed dishes, or is it going to be more like a pot luck where you could bring something compliant.  Then you don't have to do any announcing.  Speaking from only my personal hostess experiences, unless it is just a few close friends (like 4-6), I can't manage people calling with dietary restrictions unless it's to ask if they can bring something.  Then I can either reassure them they will be covered by what I have, or I welcome them to bring their dish and I plan on putting it out with the rest of the offerings.  

Other tricks I've pulled are, if really want to socialize and I know I can't make it through the dinner (she's serving her famous lasagna with garlic bread and homemade ceasar dressing, I'll say I can't make dinner but can I swing by to say hello to everyone either before (if I know they're having a cocktail hour) or after dinner (if dessert isn't her homemade cannolis).  Tough with timing and you can't do this to everyone, but I've done it and had people do it to me and it works great - and you don't have to say why you're skipping dinner either.  Just that you want to be able to see everyone.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Idee said:

Hi Everyone 

I'm Idee a newbie just starting Day 4.  Would love to join your support group. 

This is my first Whole 30 but I've done many food plans in the past and have lost and regained the same 25 pounds over and over again.   

Ugh I have to go to a dinner party and can't decide if I should call the hostess ahead of time and be one of those people who have to announce their food or eat ahead of time and push the food around on my plate and pretend to eat.

What do you think?

Hi, @Idee. I'm glad you brought this up.  I've been thinking about this, too, in thinking about Thanksgiving. One idea I had was to bring a hearty, compliant side dish and put mostly that on my plate and maybe "push around" a little a little bit of the host's food. However, I worry that taking and pushing around food I won't eat borders on disordered eating behavior or looks like it to other people. Does anyone else get concerned about that? 

How close are you with the hostess? You could call ahead and ask to bring a dish or two to share (a meaty app like chicken skewers and a salad?) and just eat that. Or ask her not to dress the salad and bring your own dressing. 

Guys, my day 3 went surprisingly well. I had my friends over for pumpkin carving, pizza, and beer and I had none.  I put my GTs gingerade kombucha in a pint glass and drank La Croix as well. I made compliant turkey bacon (found it at whole foods) wrapped dates for apps. I filled some with goat cheese for guests and filled mine with almond butter. So good! I also made a spinach salad with roasted kabocha squash, pomegranate seeds, red onion, and my own compliant dressing. I was so satisfied and didn't have trouble not eating the pizza. I'm usually a pizza-beer monster.

@Gabriela55 Great idea to put the kombucha in a boozier type glass. And next time I host, chili is on the menu.  Perfect, thanks! 

I'd call her and have a chat about what you're doing and how whole30 works and offer to bring something to share. For me pushing food around on my plate when everyone else was eating wouldn't be an option and I'd end up eating the food because it was there! 

Yeah I would end up eating the food if I pushed it around. I didn't bring any food to the Halloween party I went to last night, and it was cookie cupcake candy city. I was mad at myself, just drank my seltzer (out of a solo cup!) And then I saw it:  tucked away in the corner a beautiful fruit plate. "omg something I can eat!" I ran and gobbled. I was close to KitKat territory. 

Hi everyone, Day 4 for me. Breakast went well- bacon, eggs, asparagus and leftover potatoes from last night. 

Then I did a 26 mile bike ride- had a banana at half way point. 

Got back and I was starving so managed to get a nakd bar and a few nuts from a health shop. 

Came home and finally had lunch at 4pm! leftover pork meatball curry with a few diced potatoes that had been fried in ghee last night. 

Now we are planning on going out for curry tonight. I'm looking at the menu online and deciding what to have, they list milk, yoghurt, gluten etc as allergens so hoping it will be ok- I think chicken livers starter,  this for main 

Chicken Mangalore (Goan)
£8.50
Diced chicken cooked with tomatoes, onion, garlic, ginger, whole red chillies, tamarind, coconut, curry leaves and roasted spices. A very unique dish.

with potatoes and spinach as a side. 

Does that sound ok? 

31 minutes ago, Bexstoth said:

Hi everyone, Day 4 for me. Breakast went well- bacon, eggs, asparagus and leftover potatoes from last night. 

Then I did a 26 mile bike ride- had a banana at half way point. 

Got back and I was starving so managed to get a nakd bar and a few nuts from a health shop. 

Came home and finally had lunch at 4pm! leftover pork meatball curry with a few diced potatoes that had been fried in ghee last night. 

Now we are planning on going out for curry tonight. I'm looking at the menu online and deciding what to have, they list milk, yoghurt, gluten etc as allergens so hoping it will be ok- I think chicken livers starter,  this for main 

Chicken Mangalore (Goan)
£8.50
Diced chicken cooked with tomatoes, onion, garlic, ginger, whole red chillies, tamarind, coconut, curry leaves and roasted spices. A very unique dish.

with potatoes and spinach as a side. 

Does that sound ok? 

Looks pretty good! You might ask about what they cook the chicken IN (hopefully not butter) and what kind of oils they use in the rest of it. 

Welcome to the group, Idee. We've all been on the same roller coaster.  Let's do this together - one day at a time.   I'm on day 3 and already feel so much better.  

Social situations are the hardest.  Personally, I don't like to make a big deal of what I'm eating.  You can be sure there will be something compliant at the dinner party that you can eat - salad, etc.  The things you have to turn down, just say no thanks - you're stepping away from cheese for awhile, etc.   If you have to, let the hostess know that you're changing your eating habits and maybe let her know about the Whole 30 - if you feel comfortable.   It shouldn't be about the food or drink, it's about getting together with friends. 

I'm just sayin'....

3 hours ago, kimmiann1202 said:

Any experience with brunch buffets around here? I know the place I'm going does omelets to order. 

Let's take a moment to laugh at me for replying to my own post. Anyway, I went to the brunch buffet. everyone had mimosas; I stuck with black coffee. I had the omelet guy make me a scramble with spinach, onions, and avocado (I asked him to crack some eggs and not use the egg mix with milk in it and confirmed he was using olive oil in the pan), and I got a load of fruit on the side. It's a good start to day 4!

You can have cake next month, @Bexstoth. There will never not be cake. Think if you had it, you'd be so annoyed with yourself. 

One thing I've found helpful with cravings so far is stopping the thoughts about food I might crave as soon as they turn into a mental image, because that's when I realize I'm fantasizing and might start justifying going off plan. Once I notice I'm picturing an off-plan food in my head, I tell myself, "You're not going to think about that right now," and find something else to think about. It sounds pretty simplistic, but I really find stopping the mental image helps. Sometimes we might not even notice we're fantasizing about foods, and that's what makes it so torturous. Noticing that the food fantasizing is happening has been a big first step for me. I guess this is mindfulness applied to Whole30.

How did the weekend go for everyone? I felt a little tortured while out to dinner at a burger place (bare kale, turkey burger patty, tiny cup of guac), but survived. I didn't drink at my favorite beer spot. I ran and did Pilates.

Today I didn't eat anything off plan, but I felt like a cheater. I ate a Larabar and an Rx bar while driving around and running errands. I was hungry, but that felt almost like a binge after the last 4 days. Then I maybe got a little too emotionally involved with the roasted potatoes I made with dinner. I did leave some on the plate, though. 

I hope I can continue to eat white potatoes and keep bars around for emergencies while using them in the spirit of Whole30. Anyone else struggle with these sort of gray areas?  Any advice? 

So I was running late today and I forgot to get my lunch together before work. I'm flipping through food delivery thinking "well this stuff isn't THAT bad......." and I recognize that as a cue to break the diet. I almost ordered something off plan, a million times over. I decided to post here instead. On my break I'm going to go to the supermarket near here. I'm still ashamed about my impulses right now. I don't think I've ever wanted a chicken salad sandwich more in my life. 

Thanks for all the advice everyone about the dinner party.... so here is what i did.... I emailed the hostess because I'm not really that close to her and told her I was on a very restrictive food plan and that I hoped she wouldn't mind if I brought my own food.  She responded by asking what I could eat and after I told her she said oh are you on whole30, and then went on to say I would have a lot to talk about with her other friend.   Anyway I'm glad I was honest and took care of myself ahead of time......A real personal first.

On another note does anyone else notice having really terrible breath and what can one do about it with no gum or sugarless breathsavers an option.

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, Idee said:

Thanks for all the advice everyone about the dinner party.... so here is what i did.... I emailed the hostess because I'm not really that close to her and told her I was on a very restrictive food plan and that I hoped she wouldn't mind if I brought my own food.  She responded by asking what I could eat and after I told her she said oh are you on whole30, and then went on to say I would have a lot to talk about with her other friend.   Anyway I'm glad I was honest and took care of myself ahead of time......A real personal first.

On another note does anyone else notice having really terrible breath and what can one do about it with no gum or sugarless breathsavers an option.

Nice job! And nice to see Whole30 is becoming so mainstream that it's not really that unusual anymore!

You can google "Whole30 breath mint replacement" for lots of ideas about freshening. Depending on what you're eating though, bad breath can be a symptom. Most common is that you are undereating or not eating enough starchy veggies. Undereating causes terrible breath and not eating enough starches can cause "keto breath". Do you have a fist sized serving of starchy veggie each day? Are you making it 4-5 hours between meals?

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Jennifer824 said:

So I was running late today and I forgot to get my lunch together before work. I'm flipping through food delivery thinking "well this stuff isn't THAT bad......." and I recognize that as a cue to break the diet. I almost ordered something off plan, a million times over. I decided to post here instead. On my break I'm going to go to the supermarket near here. I'm still ashamed about my impulses right now. I don't think I've ever wanted a chicken salad sandwich more in my life. 

Try not to let that shame get a foot hold. And remember that food has no moral value. It's not good or bad and it doesn't make you good or bad for wanting it or eating it. But you made a committment so for now, no sandwich. BUT.........make chicken salad anyway! Cooked chicken, diced apple, raisins, pumpkin seeds, green onions, fresh parsley all tossed in homemade mayo (with curry powder added if you like curry) and stuffed into a bell pepper. It is SO good and you won't miss that sammie!

So instead of feeling deprived, I ordered one of my more (monetarily) indulgent take out meals that is whole 30 approved. I got multiple orders of sashimi, and seaweed salad with avocado. No soy sauce just Wasabi and lovely goodness. I'm even full!

Thanks for the moral support. I'm hormonal this week so it won't be easy! 

Hi, friends! Are you happy to be past Halloween candy explosion?

Last night friends had my boyfriend and me over for scary movies, chili, and beers. Of course there were Reese's pumpkins all over the place, too. I totally spaced that chili has beans in it and thought I'd be fine. How did I forget chili has beans? :) Anyway, I ate around the beans, which was no easy task, and handed the bean pile to my boyfriend to covertly finish it for me. I drank kombucha again instead of beer, and I ate some compliant food when I got home because a little chili meat wasn't really enough to satisfy me.

We haven't talked a lot about physical activity in here. I like to run and go to yoga or spin classes. I have a really hard time strength training independently, and I know building muscle builds metabolism, so I'd like to improve in that area during my Whole 30. What kinds of workouts do you guys do? 

The Fitnessista (love her blog and her book, neither of which is Whole30-specific, but she posts a lot of compliant recipes and has great workouts) is doing a 7-day reset that starts today. I'm planning to participate while continuing with Whole30 eats, of course. Hopefully it will help me get in some strength training. If you guys are interested, here's a link to the November Knockout Workout that is part of the reset.  http://fitnessista.com/2016/10/november-knockout-workout-2/ (I hope linking to this is allowed on this forum? If not, sorry, forum!)

Archived