Oct 25 is day 1 of round 3 after a million missteps.

Jennifer824

I'm on day 8! Got through the first week. I cannot stress how helpful the daily emails have been. This week I'm going to focus more on preparation. I can't tell you how many times I've resorted to fruit or a larabar because I didn't plan ahead. Technically didn't slip up but it's not the W30 I want to have. I am starting to feel the magic I remember! That turned my first whole 30 into a whole 50!!!

Go, my friends! Go and be whole! And also 30! Be 30 as well! Haha

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cannot wait for the magic I'm still slogging through my afternoons  today is day 8 and I'm hoping to turn the corner soon.  I really need to need to focus on preparation and specifically food shopping so that I have more options in the house instead of resorting to an apple and nut butter for breakfast.  Just want to commit that for today I will go shopping and prepare a dinner from a whole30 recipe. 

4 hours ago, Idee said:

I cannot wait for the magic I'm still slogging through my afternoons  today is day 8 and I'm hoping to turn the corner soon.  I really need to need to focus on preparation and specifically food shopping so that I have more options in the house instead of resorting to an apple and nut butter for breakfast.  Just want to commit that for today I will go shopping and prepare a dinner from a whole30 recipe. 

Way to commit, @Idee! I had the same issue over the weekend and kept eating random-but-compliant stuff that wasn't very satisfying. So I went to Trader Joe's and bought a big bag of sweet potatoes and baked a bunch. I'm storing them in my fridge this week so that I always have an easy carb to base my meal around. I've also stocked up on compliant turkey slices, turkey sausage patties (homemade), and compliant turkey bacon, so there's always a relatively easy protein around. Don't get me wrong; I've still had my jerky-and-almonds and RxBar moments, but prepping these few things helped. 

I'm excited to be in week 2! My run yesterday felt so much better than my day 2 run. And I slept really well. I usually have to watch tv to fall asleep and then wake up a few hours later and turn it off. Last night, I just turned it off at 10:30 and fell asleep. My pants feel a little looser today. It's so tempting to weigh myself, but I know that would mess with me psychologically whether there were positive or negative changes.

My goal today is not to have a Larabar or Rx Bar. The few I've had felt more emotional than hunger satisfying. I'll save them in case I need them when I travel this weekend.

I also wanted to share a recipe I made last night for chicken and veggie stir fry. http://www.rubiesandradishes.com/2014/02/04/chicken-stir-fry-with-paleo-almond-satay-sauce/

It was time consuming with all the veggie chopping, but you could buy the pre-chopped mixes at the grocery to speed things up. The sauce was excellent. My non-Whole30 boyfriend really liked it. I made him some rice to eat with it, and I ate it over some sauteed broccoli slaw. You could also eat it over cauliflower rice (I saw Trader Joe's carries frozen and refrigerated riced cauliflower). I'm having it for lunch today by itself. 

I hope everyone is doing well! I haven't heard from @JisforJennifer, @Gabriela55,or @Bexstoth in a couple days. How's is going, friends?

Hi guys:

Sorry I've been under the radar lately.  I don't want this group to disappear.  I've been doing the Larabar too.  I never even heard of them until you mentioned them - Kimmiann! They're really good with a banana for breakfast, lunch and dinner!   I've also had Skinny Popcorn - non compliant - but I don't want to start over!!!!  What do you think, should I?  Is it legit for me to continue, or should I start over tomorrow at Day 1?  If I do, I'll have to join another group - Baaaaaah. :(

Day 10 in the books for me! I had one emotional outburst of a non compliant food a day or two ago. However, I know myself. If I say to myself it's back to Day 1, I'm much more likely to dive in to a bag of cookies the next minute. I'm trying to remember what I read in Food Freedom Forever and I'm just trying to move on from it. Maybe the hardcore people will dismiss this W30 as a fluke but this is for ME. So, I'm going to keep going! I vote you do too, @Gabriela55! The past already happened. Don't  f#%* over tomorrow because of it. 

Love,

KitKats are my weakness

Hi everyone!

Just found this group. I started on October 26 so today is day 10 for me. Yesterday I had sweet cravings ALL afternoon, after lunch. Lunch was a huge taco salad with plenty of turkey and guac so I had the protein and fats there and tons of veggies. Afternoons have always been my toughest time. It'll start with a diet soda with lunch, then a dark chocolate after lunch then go downhill from there. Anyway, hoping today is better. I'm feeling pretty good otherwise. And my clothes are fitting better.

I am already anticipating missing my Friday night glass (or two) of wine tonight (last weekend was tough) so I have some Kumbacha in the fridge and plan to drink that in a wine glass. I think that will really help get past it. Last night I made the pork carnitas and lemon oil slaw from the book - OMG! Sooooo delicious. Looking forward to having it again for lunch.

My biggest problem is all the cooking (and resulting cleanup). Soooooo sick of it. Not a fan of cooking in the first place and this is a lot of cooking for me! Plus I have my family to cook for and sometimes they don't want what I'm having (although they all loved last night's dinner). And honestly, I'm not in the mood to spend an entire weekend day cooking for the week. I will just have to slog through it. Anyone know of a good source for W30 crockpot recipes?

Sunday is my monthly book club meeting at Mellow Mushroom (oooohhhh pizza). I've already looked at their menu online and plan to have a greek salad (sans feta) with my own dressing. I know I can do this. Just waiting for that "magic" and those afternoon cravings to leave me alone!

-Karen

Hi,

Thanks Jennifer 824.  I am the same way, so I made a decision last night to go forward and count today as Day 9.  If I was starting over, I would have had pizza at the Pizza Kitchen last night, but because of my decision, I had chicken and veggies.  I'm kinda proud of myself!  Thanks for the encouragement!  We can do this!  

Welcome to the group KYoung123.  I'm with you on the wine, but as the Whole30 book says we can do anything for 30 days.  Your Sugar Dragon is powerful if it's still creeping around after 10 days, but it takes 3 weeks, (21 days) to create a new habit.    Hang in there!   As for the cooking and prep, have your family help - at least with the clean-up?

Kimmiann1202, Bextoth & Habanero - check in with us please :)  It's easier to go astray if we're not checking in - trust me, I know!

On 10/29/2016 at 6:33 AM, Idee said:

I'm not sure why I can't clear the dialog box, but I'm checking in.  

So far so good!  Day 12 for me - almost half way.  I feel like I'm getting into a better rhythm of what works better for me, thinking ahead to when my next meal will be so I can better gauge what and how much to eat (I think I was eating too much the first week).  Now that I've identified a few things I like, I'm making/planning to make over the weekend bigger batches.  To me it will be easier to have a stash of things to pull from the fridge rather than that many more thinking/planning/prepping/cooking/cleaning up of meals.  

For example, the fritatta in the book calls for 6 eggs and I'm going to use a recipe I've made before with 10 or 12 eggs and it will last me a couple more servings.  I'm going to make a double batch of a canned tuna or salmon salad with the mayo and celery/onion.   I made a giant pork/shrimp curry with coconut milk that probably has 4-6 servings.  

I'm also going to go on a kombucha hunt.  We have a fancy healthfood store in town with a set of taps and a collection of bottles.  Then the farmer's market I believe has someone who makes fresh.  I'll be checking my ingredients and hopefully bringing a little home.  

I'm not exercising as much as I'd like (tweaked my back the first couple days being too gung ho) but slowly and gently trying to do something every day.  

What's the best thing you made out of the book (that isn't chicken)?  I'm going to try something new this weekend and am looking for suggestions.  

The best meal I made from the book was the pork chop, applesauce with butternut/kale/chard side dish.  Made a double of the side dish the other day so I still have a couple servings left.  

On 11/2/2016 at 11:49 AM, kimmiann1202 said:

Trader Joe's carries cauliflower rice 

I'm so excited to go to Trader Joe's and stock up on frozen cauliflower rice thanks for this tip.

I made the chili the other day it was great but cauliflower rice would be excellent with it.

When  I'm in a hurry and need to eat immediately I buy a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken and eat that with some avocado and salad.  It's amazing how truly simple food can be so delicious.

My energy is improving but I'm still waiting for the afternoon magic!

I need to work on adding in exercise.

Hope you are all enjoying the extra hour we get today

On 10/29/2016 at 5:33 AM, Idee said:

Hi Everyone 

I'm Idee a newbie just starting Day 4.  Would love to join your support group. 

This is my first Whole 30 but I've done many food plans in the past and have lost and regained the same 25 pounds over and over again.   

Ugh I have to go to a dinner party and can't decide if I should call the hostess ahead of time and be one of those people who have to announce their food or eat ahead of time and push the food around on my plate and pretend to eat.

What do you think?

Eat ahead of time and at dinner see if there's anything that you can eat and have a little of that. If the host seems to notice your not eating then tell them why you're not eating.

Day 15! 

Woooooooooaaahhhhhhh we're half way theeeeere..... WHHHOOOAAAAAA-OH! LIVIN' ON A PRAYER! 

Yeah it's been an interesting couple weeks. I've been technically compliant but I downed dried fruit like it was my job the other day. Does anyone have any tips for cooking chicken so easily a 5 year old could do it? I'm the worst and I am not eating enough protein. 

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, Jennifer824 said:

Day 15! 

Woooooooooaaahhhhhhh we're half way theeeeere..... WHHHOOOAAAAAA-OH! LIVIN' ON A PRAYER! 

Yeah it's been an interesting couple weeks. I've been technically compliant but I downed dried fruit like it was my job the other day. Does anyone have any tips for cooking chicken so easily a 5 year old could do it? I'm the worst and I am not eating enough protein. 

Spatchcock it!

Take a pair of kitchen scissors and cut the spine out of a chicken. Wipe the whole chicken off with some paper towel (inside and out). Place the chicken "inside-side" down onto a stoneware or baking sheet. Press firmly between the breasts so the breastbone cracks/breaks.....this causes the whole chicken to lay flat. Drizzle with avocado oil, sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, cumin, chili powder (just a bit of each). Bake at 435F for about 75 minutes or until the meat thermometer is correct. 

Hi Guys:

I'm embarrassed to say I was abducted by aliens who tortured me by making me eat chocolate.   :(  They looked very much like Sugar Dragons!  It was an out of body experience where my brain was disconnected from my hand and mouth.  Although my taste buds danced for a while, my stomach was not happy.  So.....tomorrow is another "Day 1 of round 3 after a million missteps".  I think I'm in the right place.  

This was so much easier the first time I did it.  What's up with that!?  Ahhhhh!

4 minutes ago, Gabriela55 said:

Hi Guys:

I'm embarrassed to say I was abducted by aliens who tortured me by making me eat chocolate.   :(  They looked very much like Sugar Dragons!  It was an out of body experience where my brain was disconnected from my hand and mouth.  Although my taste buds danced for a while, my stomach was not happy.  So.....tomorrow is another "Day 1 of round 3 after a million missteps".  I think I'm in the right place.  

This was so much easier the first time I did it.  What's up with that!?  Ahhhhh!

Gabriela! Make sure you keep going you've gone too far too turn back! I BELIEVE IN YOU. I'm gonna eat an extra serving of greens tomorrow in honor of your continued efforts! Go you! Xoxo

Hey is anybody still there.  I'm on day 20 can't believe I made it this far..... 

On 11/8/2016 at 4:18 PM, Jennifer824 said:

Day 15! 

Buy a rotisserie chicken much easier and very yum

I'm still here. Day 20 for me too! Whoohoo!!

I'm happy to say that I survived a bridal shower this weekend in tact. Oh my goodness, the food spread was amazing. I actually ate a not too wonderful salad before I went, in preparation, thinking there wouldn't be anything I could eat. But I was able to eat crab legs, shrimp and fruit. And I drank water instead of champagne or sangria. <_< The dessert table was amazing and I heard the cake was delicious. BUT I stayed away. And you know what? I wasn't moaning at the end of the party due to being stuffed, like my friends were. :D I wasn't feeling gross and yucky after trying everything. And, of course, in the end, it's about the people and the event, not the food. And it was a wonderful party.

I made a trek to Whole Foods and Trader Joe's this weekend and got a bunch of yumminess. Had smoked salmon this morning for breakfast. I could live on smoked salmon... And I have some Pedersen's bacon waiting for breakfast tomorrow. I also have a lot of leftovers so I am good for a few days with little to no cooking!

Several people noticed this weekend that I'm looking thinner and better. It feels good to explain the Whole30 program and how good I am feeling.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Ok, maybe this will help....you already know how that cupcake tastes, right? So there is no reason to pick one up and eat it, really. NO reason. Sit yourself down for a quiet moment or 2 and just breathe. Corny but helpful, so try it.

The few moments of pleasure will NOT be worth the remorse and guilt you will feel. Remember, a craving will pass, like a cloud on a sunny day.... let me know how you make out, ok?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived