Pesto and Pine Nuts

kb0426

I have seen a variety of recipes out there for "Paleo pesto". I am trying to understand what is "Paleo" about these recipes. Is it just that they do not have the parmesan cheese?

I make what I call a pesto from Spinach and pine nuts and olive oil. Sometimes I sub out walnuts. Is this okay?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, I think pesto minus the cheese is fine. I do wonder about the pine nuts. I haven't seen any mention of okay or not okay from the moderators, but I see lots of people using them for pesto (I did a search) and nobody chimed in and said "not okay".

I'm not a nut eater, but walnuts and cashews are okay right? They would both make a lovely pesto until someone speaks up. :) Oooo...I think macadamia nut pesto would be fabulous. I can totally see putting that on my spaghetti squash.

The only thing I can add is that in the ISWF recipe section, they have provided a recipe for pesto. It calls for 1/3 cup walnuts or pine nuts. There is, however, a chart in the book that has pine nuts listed under the "limit" column. For me, I'm just glad cashews are okay! :)

• 2 years later...
  • Administrators

I believe there are some concerns about pine nuts of Chinese origin due to the standards of food safety and chemical use there, but I could not find an article to link.

There is also a curious thing called Pine Nut Syndrome: http://www.latimes.com/local/abcarian/la-me-ra-bad-taste-in-my-mouth--20140722-column.html

I had never heard of such a thing!  We eat pine nuts a lot!

Archived