Yes, your numbers can improve

PatGLex

So, I had a university wellness health check last Thursday -- and a doctor's appointment on Monday -- with blood work and everything. I did a Whole 30 a month ago and have been eating (mostly) W30 as possible since then. The nurse taking measurements, and the doctor -- and the doctor's supervisor -- were astounded that I'd lost 40 pounds since my last appointment (only a little less than half of that on the W30 protocol, but still :D) . The wellness check brought up that my high-ish cholesterol readings were now down into the optimum range (except for the "good" cholesterol, but the doctor said that was less of a concern), and my pre-diabetes glucose reading was now in the green/optimal range. The doctor is now taking me off of all prescriptions. (!!!!) I have another 50 pounds that I want/need to lose, as I'm still considered obese and my BMI and body fat are way too high. But by eating W30-compliant meals I can hopefully keep my body using its own crappy fat [lol] to fuel itself and get myself into a healthier place. Now if I can only wrangle my mind into a workable exercise habit . . .

Amazing results! Congrats! I have always had trouble trying to "reform" my eating and exercise habits at the same time. Too much effort all at once, I guess. This time around, I focused on getting back into a running habit first (started in July, and it took three months to really become routine), and then tackled the Whole30 this month. Sounds like you're in an awesome groove with your eating habits! Perfect time to add some extra movement to your life :) I would say start small and build from there. Good luck!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I am in the last day of my 2nd Whole 30 -- I started a week late in January, wasn't quite prepared to jump in at the start of January when a lot of others did.

The doctor in my post above "prescribed" taking my blood pressure 3 times a week, which I've been (mostly) doing since mid-November, when the BP cuff came in. (Pharmacy had to special order it.) I was most worried about going off BP meds, but it seems like it's not an issue -- I haven't had any high BP readings. I did get a glimpse of my weight yesterday, when I went in for an infected finger wound -- I'm down around another 15 or so pounds. (Yay!) I still have another 40 I'd like to go, but this time I'll be more focused on not eating stuff I shouldn't. After the previous Whole 30 I drifted -- just as Melissa notes in FOOD FREEDOM FOREVER -- back into eating sugar and, my big nemesis, chips! I found a brand that cooks their potato chips in avocado and olive oil, so they should be OK, right? Hahahahaha. I wasn't gaining any weight eating the sugar and the chips. But I wasn't losing any, either. I'm hoping that by staying away from those two habits I will keep burning fat. My next wellness appointment is in April. We'll see how it goes, but I don't anticipate going back onto any meds.

I also know I need to do more exercise. I walk for 30 minutes almost every day, but I want to add a weight-bearing component. I'm wavering right now between bodyweight exercises and a kettlebell. . . . and how to fit it in to a very busy schedule.

Archived