Spinach and egg wrap

kellybelly

There is a video on Facebook that has a wrap made of steamed spinach and egg blended together to make a thick mixture then spread on a sheet pan and cooked in oven. When done they put non compliant items on it but then the spinach egg mix is used as a wrap. Would this spinach and egg mix wrap be compliant?

Hard to say without seeing the final result and how it would be implemented. The ingredients of egg and spinach are compliant. Are you eating it like a frittata? Seems fine.  Using it as a wrap/tortilla substitute, I think the answer is nope, but even whole30 can get it wrong: http://whole30.com/2013/12/pure-wraps/. They used to allow a coconut wrap with technically compliant ingredients, then decided it didn't  fit with consistent logic of the program.

What are you going to wrap up in it??

Sounds delish to me and perfectly compliant. (Unless it turns into SWYPO for you.)  If it's just the spinach and eggs spread thin and then rolled up, I think it would be a nice texture and very portable. 

Will you post a link to the video here?  Sounds like a great PreWO meal to me....cut off a little slice and off you go.

Personally i don't see how this doesn't fall under the  "*Some specifically off-limits foods that fall under this rule include pancakes, bread, tortillas, ..." Part of swypo, as the final result you linked looks everything like a wrap/tortilla/bread product and nothing like an omelette to me (again, my personal opinion).  http://whole30.com/2014/10/sex-pants/. But, if the ingredients are compliant, mod says it is ok, and it works for you...enjoy.

8 hours ago, slc_melissa said:

Personally i don't see how this doesn't fall under the  "*Some specifically off-limits foods that fall under this rule include pancakes, bread, tortillas, ..." Part of swypo, as the final result you linked looks everything like a wrap/tortilla/bread product and nothing like an omelette to me (again, my personal opinion).  http://whole30.com/2014/10/sex-pants/. But, if the ingredients are compliant, mod says it is ok, and it works for you...enjoy.

The only part of this I was asking about was the Spinach and egg mixture and after watching again it looks like some broccoli too. So it's just like cooking a veggie ommlette thin to wrap around complaint food. I posted the video cause @snowflower asked me to. This was a question for a Whole30 board on FB. If I were to make this is put compliant lunch meat and maybe guac and roll up. It looks like it is mostly veggie and maybe an egg or 2 to bind together. Maybe @SugarcubeOD can watch and give their opinion.

Yes, the only thing I am talking about is the wrap part. Check out this linked thread: scroll to the top and look at the original post and the moderators reply.  Sub spinach for cauliflower and it seems similar to the recipe you posted (just eggs + vegetable, baked). If cauliflower tortilla/wraps are not allowed, I don't see why spinach wraps/tortilla would be. However, things can change over time with the program, so this may be outdated. And sorry for the double link, can't figure out how to delete one on my tablet.

• Moderators

This is a little grey to me... the link you posted has both a yes and no answer.  If you scrambled an egg, cooked it flat in a fryinig pan and then folded it in half with compliant ingredients between it, that would be okay... it's been asked and answered here before... Egg Fu Yung is also okay, however I can see the flip side where this is not.

It's the weekend and a slow time for moderators... Lets wait for another moderator to chime in... these can be gray areas as you can see... 

• Whole30 Certified Coach

I'm curious to the mods take on this.  It seems to me, in general, the things that are frowned upon are somehow different than this.  Banana pancakes and egg - its meant to be sweet, breakfasty and would definitely go better with maple syrup and butter :) Same thing with some of the tortillas out there using "compliant" starches (tapioca for example) or nutbutters and fat that somehow make bread-like products.  But this is veggies.  With an egg.  Its going to taste nothing like a tortilla.  It just seems like a way to make yourself a little less of an object of "why are you eating your meat wrapped in lettuce" that sometimes makes doing a W30 difficult - you just stand out a lot (unfortunately - but that is a whole other complaint about today's perception of what real food is...).  I hope the mods think this is ok and honestly have no idea how this is different than cauliflower rice.  

I think that if you are coming from a diet that relied heavily on Tortilla's / wraps for your meals, then trying to substitute it with a Egg/Veggie Wrap would

be SWYPO food.  If Tortilla/Wraps were not a regular mainstay  of your previous diet then, using an Egg/Veggie mixture and rolling it up to wrap around

other compliant food is perfectly fine. The difference between this rolled egg wrap and an folded egg in an omelet is a very fine line.  It's really in your personal mindset and personal triggers.  I for one love Kombucha and it's perfectly fine for Whole 30  HOWEVER, If I come home every night and pour myself a wine glass full as a glass of wine before dinner was something I did regularly pre-Whole 30 then, my daily habit of Kombucha should be discouraged..   Move it to Breakfast / Lunch or even 'with' dinner in a regular juice glass.  I think you get the idea.  

• Administrators

How about this: if you are using the egg-spinach wrap or the cauli-tortilla/fritter/patty thing from the linked thread to assuage a terrible craving for bread-like products, turn away. If you cook egg and spinach in a pan and fill it with fried mushrooms, fold it in half and eat it in your hand or with a knife and fork, that is just food. If you are making a cauliflower fritter so that you can top it with ingredients to make toast-of-a-sort because you always have toast on Sundays and this is just like toast but totally compliant so you can all suck it..........move away. 

The psychological association is key here. Yes, there are some hard and fast rules no matter your personal association (cookies, bread, p*ncakes) but in this grey area of veggie-type-fritter-things............be really honest with yourself about what you're trying to recreate. If you have a strong emotional response when someone says "No, don't eat cauliflower toast", look into that within yourself and maybe just fry the shredded cauli loose in a pan and mix some cooked chicken and avocado in with it and have it as a hash. 

Archived