Butternut squash

To prep it for cooking, peel it first. Then, cut in in half, being careful not to impale yourself. Cutting in half is the hardest part for me!

Scoop out the seeds. These actually can be roasted but you need to limit the consumption. Since I can't do that, :P they go into the garbage.

Cut into chunks.

Roast with coconut oil at 400 degrees with salt and pepper.

-or-

Steam with a bit of water or chicken stock. I put them directly in the water, not in a steamer basket. Cook until fork tender. Whir up in the food processor. From here, go wild! You can serve plain with ghee, you can use as a soup base. I love taking the pureed butternut squash, adding coconut milk and red curry paste. Depending on how thick you want it, you can add chicken stock.

You can also make this a little sweeter, as you found out with all of your facebook responses. It is very versatile!

Enjoy!

I've always found it too hard to peel so I just cut it in half, even that takes effort :), scoop out the seeds and roast the two halves, then i find the butternut squash easy to scoop out of the shell. Mind you since I usually use it for soup, I'm not bothered about having even chunks.

Cutting in half can be a little tricky with the odd shape-will usually slice of a bit of peel on one side to make a flat bit to help hold still while cutting. I don't usually peel if roasting the halves. Just rub the halves with ghee or coconut oil (scoop out seeds first! :)) and roast. 350-400, depends on how long (i prefer a longer, slow roast, usually around an hour, but my oven is Old).

If using in soup or sauteeing (sp?) I cut into managable pieces and then peel with paring knife. Using a peeler is more dangerour for me!!

I don't peel it. I've tried, but it's just too difficult. So, I cut off the top, then cut in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and then cut it into long wedges. I brush with ghee (lots :) ) and sometimes sprinkle with cinnamon or sometimes just sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Roast at 400 degrees until soft and carmelized on the edges. YUM!!

You don't even have to cut it! I've always cut it before roasting, but in the email from my favorite farmer at the market, he suggested just roasting them whole. I tried it and it is awesome! Rinse, stick in the oven, ignore. Let cool a bit, slice - SO much easier it is hard to believe - and scrape out the seeds, which is also much easier. The neck may need a minute or two to finish in the microwave, but wow! This has made my W30 so much easier!!

I then scoop out the flesh and eat it with a little salt or a bit of ghee and salt. So good, so simple!

You don't even have to cut it! I've always cut it before roasting, but in the email from my favorite farmer at the market, he suggested just roasting them whole. I tried it and it is awesome! Rinse, stick in the oven, ignore. Let cool a bit, slice - SO much easier it is hard to believe - and scrape out the seeds, which is also much easier. The neck may need a minute or two to finish in the microwave, but wow! This has made my W30 so much easier!!

I then scoop out the flesh and eat it with a little salt or a bit of ghee and salt. So good, so simple!

OMG...just like the spaghetti squash I have in my slow cooker right now. So much easier to cut it after it is cooked and cools for a bit. Going to try the same thing with a butternut squash.

Yes, I would do them in the slow cooker except I do most of my cooking on Sundays for the week and the crock pot is usually being used for something else. I even crock pot in advance! :) Mosty because mine isn't entirely reliable so I prefer to be around so I will notice if it shuts off before it's supposed to, but it also saves time on busy weekday mornings not to have to get it set up, and most crock pot meals reheat well in the microwave.

Yes, I discovered my crock pot had lost it's ability to cook on low. I so over cooked a huge top round and thought I had become a failure of a cook. Well, I thought I had been cooking it on low, but the next time I used it, it was for a spaghetti squash and the poor thing was a burnt disaster when I got home from work. So, out the door it went and I had to run get a new one at costco. Crock pot meals are great to use for cookathons. In fact, mine usually does it's own cookathon almost all week. :)

MIne is only 3 years old and throwing things away makes me crazy, so I have adapted to its quirks. :)

Oh, I have to have one that cooks on low. I gave the old one to my neighbor who doesn't have one and also is around to babysit it. :) I gave her a tutorial about cooking on high.

Archived