Pregnancy and homemade mayo

I scoured to see if anyone else has posted on this topic, and I apologize if I'm being redundant (or am really bad at searching).  When I did my first whole30 back in July, I ate mayo or mayo-based sauces at every opportunity, but I'm not sure how much the lemon juice "cooks" the egg, and was wondering if any others had used homemade mayo while pregnant, or what you used as an alternative.  (BTW, I haven't been able to find the mayo by Primal Kitchen :/.)  I'm also up for other creamy sauce suggestions...

I think in general raw eggs are not recommended during pregnancy (unless you are in the UK, where apparently they are okay).  My store carries pasteurized eggs, which are safer.  I've used them to make mayo successfully.  There are also recipes for eggless mayo out there.  I've never tried them, but here's a link to Mel Joulwan's version:

http://meljoulwan.com/2013/10/27/egg-less-homemade-mayo/

I've seen a recipe that calls for cooking the egg for mayo (much like you'd cook eggs for ice cream... I guess tempering is a better term) but I can't for the life of me remember where I saw it. 

However, you can successfully do a whole30 with out mayonnaise. 

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Karen_Suep said:

I've seen a recipe that calls for cooking the egg for mayo (much like you'd cook eggs for ice cream... I guess tempering is a better term) but I can't for the life of me remember where I saw it. 

However, you can successfully do a whole30 with out mayonnaise. 

If I recall correctly, there's info on how to pasteurize eggs for mayo on the Planks Love and Guacamole Ranch dressing recipe... I can't link it from my ipad but pretty sure that's where I saw it...  

• Whole30 Certified Coach

You can order Primal Kitchen mayo online.  But at $1/oz its kinda pricey... Whole Foods sells it too.  

I'm 31 weeks pregnant.  My in-laws have chickens.  The eggs are washed in Dawn soap before I use them.  I make the mayo, hubs eats it for 1-2 days, then I eat it :) That has been my MO for about 4 months now.  I would not have eaten it during the first trimester and will admit we bought some Hellman's that I had probably 1/4 c of in total over 3 months.  

But everyone (especially pregnant women!) have their own personal comfort zone, so just stay in yours.  So far crazy-bladder-dancer and I seem to be ok :)

Archived