What does Ghee actually taste like?

I'm in my 15th day of Whole 30 (or maybe 45) and I'm preparing things for me to eat but my 11 year old will sometimes eat them too. He doesn't like the taste or smell of coconut oil so I'm wondering what Ghee tastes like? Can anyone give me a description? Like butter?

Thanks.

• Moderators

Ghee is butter with the milk solids removed, so it tastes like butter.

I learned the hard way that not all coconut oils are the same. The cheap stuff I bought at first smelled and tasted like plain oil to me and I did not understand why so many people loved it. Then I bought some that cost more and I began to understand. I love the coconutty smell and taste of good coconut oil.

I just made my second batch this morning and it turned out much better than my first. It's a lovely golden brown (maybe a little darker than golden) and tastes very nutty like browned butter, but without the creamy. It's really good.

Thanks Tom, Yes I bought the dearer brand too and I do love it. But he is very finicky. I think I will give him a reprieve from smelling the coconut oil and try Ghee. Maybe I can even get him on board with Whole30 eating to a point. :)

@SLW600 - Is there a difference between buying and making your own? Our local shop sells it.

I learned the hard way that not all coconut oils are the same. The cheap stuff I bought at first smelled and tasted like plain oil to me and I did not understand why so many people loved it. Then I bought some that cost more and I began to understand. I love the coconutty smell and taste of good coconut oil.

Thanks Tom, Yes I bought the dearer brand too and I do love it. But he is very finicky. I think I will give him a reprieve from smelling the coconut oil and try Ghee. Maybe I can even get him on board with Whole30 eating to a point. :)

@SLW600 - Is there a difference between buying and making your own? Our local shop sells it.

I buy the Purity Brand, I think..either that or the Pure Indian Foods brand. It's cheaper to make it and you have control of the browned butter flavor. I think it's a lovely smell and taste. :)

• 1 month later...

Question about Ghee - So my local health food store sells only one brand of Ghee, Purity Farms....it is organic but does not state "Grass Fed" on the container however, on the company website they state their cows are grass fed. Does anyone else use this brand or only the Pure Indian Foods brand Ghee is the best?

Thanks!

Tom, do you mean that if a coconut oil doesn't smell coconut, it probably isn't a good quality?

I buy one that doesn't smell, because I feel sick of that smell, and it says it's organic etc.

Question about Ghee - So my local health food store sells only one brand of Ghee, Purity Farms....it is organic but does not state "Grass Fed" on the container however, on the company website they state their cows are grass fed. Does anyone else use this brand or only the Pure Indian Foods brand Ghee is the best?

Thanks!

My favorite brand. I think moderator Tom buys it as well.

Archived