Naked Juices - 100% juice ?

KarenPotter

i'm on my second whole 30. for some reason, though from nothing i've read, it seems many of the "naked" brand juices are ok - the ones i like are the ones made from purees.  is there any whole30 documentation on these?  may fav is Berry Blast:  APPLE JUICE, BANANA PUREE, STRAWBERRY PUREE, BLACKBERRY PUREE, RASPBERRY PUREE, NATURAL FLAVORS

Juice, even 100% no sugar added, is not okay to drink on Whole30. You can put a little splash in some water to jazz it up, but just to drink - no. 

From The Official "Can I Have?" Page: 

Fruit Juice: Yes

Fruit juice is the only acceptable added sweetener on the Whole30. (We had to draw the line somewhere.) Use it to flavor sauces, soups, or entrees.

Tip: While drinking a glass of fruit juice may be technically compliant, we really wouldn’t recommend it, even if you juice it yourself. Juicing strips many of the nutrients out of the fruit, but still leaves all of the sugar. We’d much rather you just eat the fruit.

• Administrators

hi @KarenPotter - you could also read up on the smoothies portion of the "Can I Have" document linked below as that would apply to these pureed juices also. 

Note that drinking this sort of thing is a huge influx of sugar and because it's liquid, it's "pre-digested" which will cause a huge swing in blood sugar. Truly something to stay away from on your Whole30. 

From personal experience, you can't trust cravings. Eating/drinking something sweet, even if it's compliant, it's just going to Lee the sugar dragon alive. Eating healthy template meals (even breakfast) and increasing fats when you feel you need something sweet will definitely help you get the most from your w30. 

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, KarenPotter said:

i know its not compliant, but i figure it was a good attempt at eating 'clean' and still have something i was craving. i don't do it very often. 

I get it, I really do. But if being free of the sugar dragon and not having cravings rule your choices is a goal you have for the end of your Whole30, the only way to get that is to starve the cravings. You can't get rid of cravings and kill your sugar dragon by subbing Snickers bars for strawberry smoothies. As far as your cravings are concerned, they shouted for something sweet and got it. And let's be honest, strawberry smoothies are like melted ice cream. 

Sorry, I know it sucks. But creating change requires actually changing............and in this case while what you are doing might be quite different than what you used to do, it's still too close. Go the complete opposite direction and have protein, veggies and fat. Omelettes and hashes and roasted veggies with chicken and canned salmon in bell peppers and curried cauliflower with prawns & snow peas. It would be like trying to quit smoking cigarettes by smoking cigars. 

• 2 months later...

Okay, I am confused because the Whole30 shopping list PDF clearly lists fruit juice (all) -- as well as vegetable juice -- as something you can drink on Whole30. If that is the case then Naked should be acceptable, in moderation, as it is 100% juice with no added sugar or out of compliance ingredients.

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Melissa N said:

Okay, I am confused because the Whole30 shopping list PDF clearly lists fruit juice (all) -- as well as vegetable juice -- as something you can drink on Whole30. If that is the case then Naked should be acceptable, in moderation, as it is 100% juice with no added sugar or out of compliance ingredients.

Juice is allowed, and frankly if you drank a glass of it you wouldn't be breaking any rules, but you wouldn't be getting the very most out of your whole30 either.

It's recommended that you use juice as an ingredient in meals that need a bit of sweetness to balance the flavor, or you could have a splash of fruit juice in some water for a change occasionally. 

Drinking a glass of fruit juice gives you all the sugar from the fruit without any of the fiber. It's digested faster than it would be if you were eating the fruit, and faster still if you're having it as a smoothie with no protein. This means you'll get a rapid rise in blood sugar, followed by a rapid fall a little later, which will lead to you being tired, hungry, and looking for something sweet to help you feel better again.

Whole30 is asking you to focus on eating things that make you healthier. Fruit juice on its own really isn't doing that. It's 30 days. Live without the juice for 30 days and see what happens.

Archived