Questions: ghee, almond milk, and bone broth

1Maryann

Sorry, I'm a wealth of questions this morning. I just finished my first attempts at ghee, almond milk, and bone broth.

1. Ghee--I have read too many recipes. Some say store in fridge, some say on counter, some say never put in fridge because the condensation in moving it back and forth will make it go rancid. Thoughts? Also, I followed the instructions exactly, only maybe didn't have the heat turned up enough. It took forever for the water to boil off, but that may be that I was using up cheap store-brand butter I wanted to get rid of. Never reached that "nutty" stage. And now that it cooled overnight, it looks like...butter. Is this what it's supposed to look like?

2. Almond milk--Came out great, much tastier than store-bought. I saved the leftover almond pulp per someone's suggestion for after my Whole30. Do I need to dry it in the oven before I freeze it?

3. Bone broth--Strained and cooling on counter. I want to put some in a jar for immediate use, and freeze some in ice cube trays. Do I cool it in the fridge first until I can pull the tallow off before freezing? Is there any benefit to leaving some fat in it?

Sorry to be such a pain.

• Moderators

Cooled ghee does look like butter. I keep mine on the counter and may take as much as a month to use a jar. If you make more than one jar at a time, you might want to store all but the one you are using now in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it. I've heard ghee will keep in the refrigerator for 3 months.

I have no idea about how to handle almond pulp.

I pour my bone broth into a glass container and store it in the refrigerator. Fat congeals on the top when it cools. I discard some of the fat when I get my first cup, but leave some and consume it with the bone broth. I use a ladle to fill a coffee mug with bone broth and sometimes a little fat, heat it in the microwave for 2 minutes, and enjoy it. I often have bone broth in my refrigerator for a week before I finish a batch.

I am making my 2nd batch of ghee right now. I'm determined to perfect it and I don't feel like I have yet. I think it takes longer to reach that stage where the milk solids brown at the bottom and therefore turn your ghee into a nutty golden brown. Here is a You Tube recipe that I am following.

I am making my 2nd batch of ghee right now. I'm determined to perfect it and I don't feel like I have yet. I think it takes longer to reach that stage where the milk solids brown at the bottom and therefore turn your ghee into a nutty golden brown. Here is a You Tube recipe that I am following.

That's very interesting and so different from what I have seen . She did not take the milk solids off the top before she strained it into the jar. Is that what you do?

That's very interesting and so different from what I have seen . She did not take the milk solids off the top before she strained it into the jar. Is that what you do?

Oh, no, that is where all the flavor is. I let them settle and watched them with hawk eyes and stirred and stirred so they didn't burn. :)

Very different from the one I used as well. Mine said NOT to stir the ghee at all, just to brush away the foam on top from time to time to see the color and if the solids were settling. This video also simmers at a higher temp than the video I used. Obviously, the woman is Indian, so next time I'll do it her way. I got so overwhelmed with skim/don't skim, stir/don't stir, boil/don't burn.

Very different from the one I used as well. Mine said NOT to stir the ghee at all, just to brush away the foam on top from time to time to see the color and if the solids were settling. This video also simmers at a higher temp than the video I used. Obviously, the woman is Indian, so next time I'll do it her way. I got so overwhelmed with skim/don't skim, stir/don't stir, boil/don't burn.

I always find myself looking at 6 different methods (that's what I did with mayo) and sort of stupidly combining and not having fun at all. :) With the ghee, I just followed her exact directions and it's lovely. I kept wanting to skim, but refrained. I also used a cheese cloth to strain it because I didn't trust that my tea strainer is really a tea strainer. :)

I do it the...professional mom way.

Put it on the stove, forget about it until it's just about burnt. Works every time ;0)

That totally works. I walked away from mine more than a few times because of my inability to have the patience to only do one thing at a time. I did keep zipping back to stir and check on it, but I'll bet I spend less and less time doing that as I get more comfortable with it. Love not skimming it. :)

Archived