What's a decent pre-workout meal for distance runners?

SmSilver27

I'm new to this program, and I'm super confused. The Whole 30 recommends a pre and post workout meal, but then doesn't explain what would be a good pre-workout meal. Doesn't go into what are good digestible proteins, just keep it small with a little fat. 

Does anyone here have a recommendation for me on this one? 

Thank you

• Administrators

The pre-workout recommendation is protein and fat. This could be chicken with mayo, hard boiled egg with avocado, pork burger with olives, piece of steak with ghee. You really just have to figure out what your stomach handles best. As Whole30 is an n=1 experiment, it doesn't go into specific detail about "you must eat this exact thing at this exact time". It's up to you to figure out based on you being a unique person with unique needs/experiences/goals/requirements. :) 

Before my wkts (weights + short training runs), my normal meal suffices. (~60min after meal 1). If I am going to be doing a distance run (LSR), then less veggies but add a startchy carb serving. If it's race day, I do 1egg and a full sweet potato (baby food pouch if away from home/kitchen) ~2hr before gun time and a banana 30min before gun time.  

Archived