hunger pangs after eating ?

911angel

I don't normally get hunger pangs.  I don't wake up hungry.  This is now day 6 of whole 30.......... I'm getting hunger pangs after I eat...... ?  

Has this happened to anyone else ?  Does anyone have any speculation as to why ?   I'm pretty sure my "eating" hormones are completely whacked out but I didn't expect this. 

Thanks! 

• Administrators

Question barrage: How soon after you eat? Have you noticed this after any particular meal? After any particular ingredient? What does a typical few days of eating look like for you? How does this differ from your pre-Whole30 life? Does eating more help the pains go away? 

It starts usually when I'm halfway done with an appropriate amount of food.  I'll have to pay attention to what it is that I'm eating.  For example I just ate some pot roast, steamed carrots, and half a plate of asparagus and about 5 olives.  Now my stomach is signaling that I'm hungry.  

Pre Whole30 I never ate breakfast on days off.   I'd just get distracted and forget that I hadn't eaten.   I'd wake around 8 am,  have coffee w/ flavored creamer, and eat around 1 pm.   On work days I was trying to graze..... I'm hypoglycemic so I'd usually snack on veggies w/  hummus,  or an apple, cheese stick and a few almonds, or cottage cheese and grape tomatoes.   I drink about 60 ozs of water daily.  

I've never had a problem with over indulging.  I can open a bag of Doritos, eat 15 chips and then put the bag away.  Same with my guilty pleasure Haagen Dazs coffee ice cream.  I eat about 1/3 cup and put the pint back in the freezer.  If it's Oreos I grab 4 and a glass of milk then I'm satisfied.

I haven't tried eating more because the quantity seems appropriate.  I'll have to try that.  I'm going to eat a few cashews and see if that helps.  

• Moderators
4 hours ago, 911angel said:

It starts usually when I'm halfway done with an appropriate amount of food.  I'll have to pay attention to what it is that I'm eating.  For example I just ate some pot roast, steamed carrots, and half a plate of asparagus and about 5 olives.  Now my stomach is signaling that I'm hungry.  

Just FYI, a serving size of olives as a fat source is a heaping handful -- check out the meal template. Unless that was one really fatty roast or you put some kind of oil or sauce on your veggies, you didn't have much fat in that meal at all. If you didn't want more olives, you could have drizzled ghee or olive oil over your carrots and asparagus, or made a hollandaise sauce for your asparagus or dipped it in mayo. Fat is an important part of the meal, and not having much of it could leave you getting hungry faster. It also wouldn't be unusual for this to be indicative of too-small servings all around -- many, many people who come from a background of dieting/calorie counting/restricting can't quite believe how much food Whole30 says is okay to eat, but it really is okay to eat more. You may need to rethink what an appropriate amount of food actually looks like.

I've got quite a small appetite, I usually struggle to eat the carby starchies. So today I had a baked sweet potato with my lunch. Cut it in half and left it on the side, ate my lunch of salad, oily fish and the sweet potato with ghee, I can then decide if I'm full at the end of the meal and eat up the rest, or jus part of it, like today, without feeling challenged to eat a pile of food. And it's there instead of diving for the fruit option, too. Works OK. After all it's what our grandmother's did..We always had a small portion to begin with and seconds were always offered for those who wanted it. She probably had few if any issues with food at the beginning of the 20th century. 

Archived