How to stop a cough?

i am occasionally bothered by sinus drainage that causes me to cough, most often at night, even though i take a daily allergy medicine. Before Whole 30, i would pop a Hall's or a peppermint in my mouth to sooth my throat and stop the coughing. since all that stuff is a no-no on W30 - besides water, what can i put in my mouth/throat to help with the coughing fits? 

There are some teas that are really good, especially with ginger, also peppermint or eucalyptus, if you can find it. I will also take a few drops of oregano oil under the tongue (drink water afterward, its very strong), which I find very effective. Be sure to read labels for compliancy.  Bone broth is also highly recommended, that would probably sooth your throat too.

A humidifier and/or diffusing essential oils may help too. 

Fwiw, my typical twice a year post nasal drip of doom wasn't as bad this fall. I did have a sinus infection that I took antibiotics for, but other than that nothing. I used to think neti pots were gross but with that sinus infection, I started using one and it was glorious! I've also used the xlear nasal spray too (it has xylitol which is a no no for whole30, but I think since you're not ingesting it, it's ok? I'll let a mod make an official stance on it). Xlear helps yucky stuff not stick around as long. Something about the xylitol that I don't quite understand. 

Also tea is great, if nothing more than having something warm to sip on. 

• Moderators

Whole30 is only concerned with what you eat, so if you spray something in your nose or brush your teeth with something, it doesn't need to be compliant.  That said, the throat coat teas, bone broth, essential oils, humidifiers, neti pots etc... all things I would try before I sprayed a chemical up my nose... ;)

2 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Whole30 is only concerned with what you eat, so if you spray something in your nose or brush your teeth with something, it doesn't need to be compliant.  That said, the throat coat teas, bone broth, essential oils, humidifiers, neti pots etc... all things I would try before I sprayed a chemical up my nose... ;)

Xlear is just standard saline with xylitol. Half the time I can taste it so I didn't use it much on my w30. That said, I used it as a last resort because I'm weird like that (my husband has to tell me to take meds when I have headaches all the time.)

Archived