Sarah's debut Whole30

sarahd06

Right then, the weekend catch up edition!

Friday supper: pan fried squid with chorizo and mushrooms. sweet potato and onion hash

Saturday breakfast: leftover sweet potato hash with left over fritatta batter and some coconut milk - surprisingly tasty!

Saturday lunch: prosciutto wrapped frittata muffin (inc spinach, red pepper, onion, garlic, courgette and tomato) handful nuts

Saturday supper: sirloin steak, sweet potato fries, courgettes

Sunday breakfast: 2 eggs fried in coconut oil, cumin roasted carrots

Sunday lunch: Chicken and duck breasts, rocket salad with beetroot and avocado

Sunday supper: Berries with coconut cream, cocoa, cinnamon and toasted flaked almonds

Sunday snacks: too many nuts

Observations from the weekend: was hungry on Sunday - probably didn't eat enough. I find it harder on the weekends to keep the intake up without the structure of a weekday. Over relied on nuts - my digestion didn't thank me for it :( Also, on Saturday could have really enjoyed a beer - not sure what was going on there, haven't really missed it at all so far, but resisted and on we go.

Monday then - day 22 - back in the routine

Pre WOD

Boiled egg

Handful almonds

Post WOD

Sweet potato

Sardines

Breakfast

Prosciutto wrapped fritatta muffin

Cumin roasted carrots

Stewed apple with coconut milk

PB - tastic this morning, Back squat 5RM and 1 mile run :)

A bit tired as the clocks changed at the weekend and it always takes me a while to catch up, but feeling good.

Nice one with the PBs! Back squats and running are two of my favourites. I nearly had a little cry when I saw such a sweet WoD and knew I was too ill to make it to training. If I'm better by Thursday I'm catching up on this one.

Like you I've been a bit too reliant on handfuls of nuts over the weekend, I'm going to be more mindful of the lure of the bag of almonds this week and try and resist.

Thank you :) You can pick that WOD up any time - hope you're feeling up to it Thursday tho :)

Thoughts on nuts - I guess we shouldn't beat ourselves up terribly much, still way better than a mars bar!

Lunch today then: lettuce, red pepper, beetroot, cucumber, tomatoes, smoked mackerel, avocado.

I like my weekday eats - perhaps need to focus on similar structures at the weekend (although then that blurs the distinction between week and weekend which leaves me a bit conflicted - overthinking anyone?!)

True that nuts are better than a mars bar, and there was a time in my life when lunch would've nearly always involved a kitkat chunky. So it's a definite improvement. Like you, I maybe tend to over think it all a bit and worry that I'm doing it right.

Your lunch makes me wish I'd picked some smoke mackerel up when I was at the shops!

Today will be a nut free day. There, have committed to it.

Yesterday supper was cocoa chilli (can't get enough of that stuff!) with roast sweet potato and squash and some scallions as I do like my greenery - then some sultanas and NUTS

Need to go nut cold turkey at least for a day. I know in the scheme of things they ain't that kitkat chunky but still, need to take a break. So we'll see how that goes.

This morning so far

Pre WOD

Boiled egg (this morning was just about perfect, firm white, lovely runny yolk for the record)

Handful almonds

Post WOD

Sweet potato

Sardines

Breakfast

Day 23 here we come!

So, I made it through yesterday with no further nuts after my pre WOD snack (realised that, yes, almonds are nuts, as I was chowing down this morning!) The rest of yesterday shaped up this way

Supper: Leftover chilli with chicken breasts and sweet potato fries. Strawberries with raisins, coconut cream, cocoa and cinnamon

Day 24:

Pre WOD

Boiled egg

Handful almonds

Post WOD

Sweet potato

Tuna

Breakfast

Lunch

Lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, buckets of olives, beetroot, prosciutto

Feeling pretty good for my nut restricted day yesterday so gonna give that another go today - one of the biggest things that the W30 has given me is a much enhanced awareness of what I'm eating and why. Think that'll stick.

Late addition to lunch yesterday was some usgar snap peas and almond butter

Supper was salmon fillet with bacon, salad, mushrooms and onion followed by some dried cherries and coconut

Second nut free (apart from pre WOD) day - all good, see life does go on without nuts as snacks!

Day 25

Pre training

Boiled egg (not sufficient attention paid this morning, hence hard boiled)

Almonds

Post training

Coconut water - skills practice this morning, so not intense by any stretch

Breakfast

Frittata muffin

Gonna attempt another no nut snack day, see if I can roll it through to the weekend, when it'll be harder as I'm out cheering my box's teams on at a Crossfit comp - nuts may be a necessary fall back We'll see.

Day 26 - getting closer...

Last nights supper was grilled chicken breast, homemade meatballs (beef mince, garlic, herbs, onion), roasted sweet potato and squash, baby leeks pan fried. Nom nom nom

Another nut free (ok, some nut butter, but nuts themselves are my trigger) day and feeling good about that

This morning then:

Pre WOD

Boiled egg (timed at 5 mins but white still a bit 'snotty', apols but it's entirely descriptive!)

Post WOD

Sweet potato, tuna

Breakfast

Frittata muffin

WOD this morning was brutal - couldn't even control the shower gel afterwards, got through it, definitely feel like I've got more gas in the tank for these longer WODs *good thing!*

So it's 1030 and I'm still coming back to a normal shade of face.....

And then I was away at the weekend....so here's the round up since Friday morning.

Friday lunch was a maasive salad with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, tuna and olives - delish!

Friday supper was pan fried steak with a ton of veggies (can't remember what - it's been a while since then!)

Another day sans nuts - pleased to have dropped these so easily and not really missed them.

Saturday (day 27) was a early start - 2 boiled eggs, some carrots.

Lunch: couple of frittata muffins, roasted carrots with cumin eaten cold

Snack - sweet potato coins with coconut oil and cinnamon

Supper: 2 beef patties, fried egg, salad, sweet potato fries

Late night chatting but a decent nights kip in a strange bed.....and onto day 28

Pre run snack - sweet potatoes coins with coconut oil and cinnamon and some oilves

Breakfast - egg muffins, carrots, handful nuts and dried fruit/coconut

Not sure if lunch happened properly.....(it's been a long weekend!)

Nutfest in the car on the way back home

Supper - chicken pieces with veggies and avocado

Bit further of a nut fest - was tired and not really focussed on what I was eating. So that's one more thing I know!

And here we are on day 29 already.

Golly. didn't get back yesterday - so to summarise

Pre WOD

Boiled egg (this morning was just about perfect, firm white, lovely runny yolk for the record)

Handful almonds

Post WOD

Sweet potato

Tuna

Breakfast

2 eggs

Raspberries, coconut milk, flaked almonds

Lunch

Lettuce

Tomatoes

Cucumebr

Smoked mackerel

Beetroot

Sugar snap peas

Carrot chunks

Supper

Lemon sole fillet

Prawns

courgettes

Mushroom

Dried fruit, nuts and shredded coconut

And then, all of a sudden it was day 30!

Pre WOD

Handful almonds

Post WOD

Sweet potato

Tuna

Breakfast

2 boiled eggs

Raspberries, coconut milk, flaked almonds, cocoa

PB tastic this morning - back squat, shoulder press and I got a 100kg deadlift. So chuffed and a great way to finish the W30! It's been a really interesting 30 days and there's a lot that I'll carry on with, but am excited/nervous to start a reintroduction programme tomorrow. Cheese will be my first hit....I've missed it's cheesiness more than chocolate (which surprised me no end),

Well, here we are - it's day 31 but so far I'm still on plan. Feels strangely a bit of an anti climax! I'm planning a cheeseburger supper this evening, but so far my day has bee compliant. I'm not scared to go off road, it's just that I've got used to eating this way (even if my colleagues still haven't got used to my 'weird' breakfasts!).

So it's dairy reintroduction today.....

But for completeness, here's the wrap up of day 30 eats

Lunch

Lettuce

Tomatoes

Cucumber

Smoked mackerel

Beetroot

Cherry coco naked ape pack (biltong, cherries, coconut)

Supper

Chicken, chorizo and tomato stew

All in all it's been an interesting 30 days - feeling like a nutrition ninja! :ph34r:

Archived