Crossfit Competition

kruddock

I have a crossfit competition at my box this weekend and need some advice on timing of snacks/meals. Friday is only 1 workout so I am good with that but Saturday we have 3 workouts.

Event 1 @ 9:30am (12 min)

Event 2 @ 11:30am (15 min)

Event 3 @ 1:15pm (10min)

They are short workouts but I am sure they will be intense. Not enough time in between to do a full size template meal, would pre & postWO snacks be appropriate or mini-meals? I don't want my food coming back to haunt me!

• Administrators

I would stick to whatever fueling that you normally are alright with. Don't try anything new during something intense like this. If you are normally fine with chicken thighs and sweet potato, stick to that. I think on a smaller timeline like you have with multiple workouts, it wouldn't be so much pre and post workout as just fuelling. You can avoid fat altogether because it slows digestion and that's not really what you want in a 3.5 hour time span. 

I think I would eat a large breakfast, eat chicken thighs and sweet potato after the second round and then eat a huge lunch.  

Hopefully someone else weighs in on this one, I'll be interested to hear what the suggestions are.

Thanks, that makes sense. So I'll have my breakfast early, then snack before, in between and after the last workout, then lunch after. No fat, just protein & starchy carbs, leave out fruit, what about non starchy veggies, can I eat those?

• Administrators
1 hour ago, kruddock said:

Thanks, that makes sense. So I'll have my breakfast early, then snack before, in between and after the last workout, then lunch after. No fat, just protein & starchy carbs, leave out fruit, what about non starchy veggies, can I eat those?

No harm in the non-starchy veggies, just make sure that they aren't pushing other more valued nutrients (carbs, protein) out of the way during the competition.

It's Sunday, the day after and I'm feeling pretty good, although I am a little more tired than usual and a little sore but that's to be expected. I competed in the masters division at my box in partner teams. We had a great time. We came in 4th out of 6 but we had some stiff competition because it was mixed male/female. We were 1 of 2 partner teams that were all female so we had our work cut out for us. All in all it went well and the nutrition advice paid off, thanks ladyshanny.

Archived