Warning!

My husband started Whole30 a few days after me. On day 26 he woke up with swollen lips. He still went to work. As the day progressed he noticed a rash on his chest and his eyes were swollen.  Doctor said it was probably a reaction to all the eggs, nuts and fish that he had been eating for the 3 weeks prior and recommended he stop and put him on steroids. He has never be allergic to eggs, nuts or fish before. And no he did not eat peanuts, they are not compliant. Only almonds, cashews and walnuts. Please address this either in your book or on this forum.

I'm sorry for your husband's condition but there are many, many possible causes and if I were he I would not be satisfied with vague pronouncement of a "reaction to all the eggs, nuts and fish."  

Neither fish nor eggs nor nuts are required on Whole30 and nuts are to be eaten in small quantities. Your husband's experience is not typical for those doing a Whole30 nor is it to be expected and may have nothing to do with Whole30.

Without knowing all of his health issues and precisely what he'd ingested or been exposed to it would be impossible to state a likely cause for his condition. What exactly would you like others to address?

Thank you for your reply. My husband has NO health issues.   We read the entire Whole30 book and no where did it state that there could be a possible reaction to too much eggs, nuts or fish. That is the only thing that I want addressed. I am aware that this not typical in doing a Whole30 and I am on my second Whole30. We are both cutting out sugar. Could no added sugar cause this? 

• Moderators

I'm sorry to hear your husband is suffering. I'm not sure exactly what it is you expect from any of us on the forum -- we're not doctors and can't give you medical advice. No one could possibly warn about all the allergic reactions any person might experience, since people can be allergic to pretty much anything, and those allergies can develop even to foods that people ate before without problem. As far as I know, doctors aren't even really sure why some people develop allergies as adults to things they have eaten all their life.

I don't think that leaving sugar out somehow made your husband have an allergic reaction. They typically don't have anything to do with stuff you stop being exposed to, they have to do with things that you are exposed to. It's certainly possible that if your husband has been eating a lot more eggs or a lot more nuts that one of those is causing his issues, although it's also possible that it's some other food that he's eating more of now than he has in the past.  If you have kept a food log, you could look back and see if he's been eating a lot more of something than usual. If you haven't been keeping a log, you might want to write down as much as you can remember from the past few days, and continue to keep a log going forward, so that if he continues to experience symptoms you can try to narrow down what is causing them.

You can certainly continue Whole30 without eggs and nuts for a while and see if that helps him. Nuts should be something you have in limited quantities anyway -- a small closed handful, not even every day ideally. Choose options other than eggs for your protein for a while, leave out the nuts, and see if he starts to see improvement. I'm assuming you thought about obvious things like a change in laundry detergent or body wash that might have caused this reaction -- if not, definitely look at that. It is also possible for people to have a histamine intolerance, you could read through this article and see if it sounds plausible in your husband's case.

• 1 month later...
On 11/5/2016 at 3:54 PM, Karen_Suep said:

Allergies can sneak up on you even if you've been eating the same food for your entire life. 

This is absolutely true!  I have had allergies all of my life, my sons have allergies and my mother, who is 65, has developed an allergy to Coconut within the past year.  An allergist can tell you that you are more likely to develop an allergy to something the more you eat it.  I know it doesn't make sense but an allergy is your body's immune system reacting so as your immune system changes over time it may become less "cooperative" with things previously agreeable.

• Whole30 Certified Coach
On 11/5/2016 at 1:01 PM, Mygirlmae said:

Doctor said it was probably a reaction to all the eggs, nuts and fish that he had been eating for the 3 weeks prior and recommended he stop and put him on steroids.

So no confirmation of these new allergies?  Maybe it was a reaction to the new soap at the office... 

Archived