Best Tasting Light Olive Oils?

I've had great success with mayo since starting on this plan in July. I was buying one particular brand of light olive oil in a smaller container, but yesterday decided to switch to a brand in a larger bottle. It's still a high quality oil. Well, I made the mayo today and it emulsified just fine, but it tasted... different. Not really off, but not necessarily different in a good way either! And now, of course, I have a nice big bottle that will last me through several more batches.

I won't say the brand to influence anyone (yet), but I'm curious if any of you have noticed a taste difference in different brands, and which you prefer?

Stephanie

I do notice a difference in certain brands for sure and have been struggling to find something I really like for awhile. The problem is, I can never remember from one time to the next which bottle I did/didn't like. I find some of the "light oils" still solidify in the fridge which I suppose is good because I would think they may be less refined, but not so good for Mayo.  

I have been mixing EVOO, avocado oil and macadamia nut oil 1/3 each for a nice Mayo. 

Also oils by the time we use them are likely to be rancid and this could be what you're experiencing. I know it's best to buy it in a container protected from light and I have seen light oil sold in the big tins, so maybe look for on like that or one sold in a dark bottle?

After much trial and error, I landed on Goya Light Flavor Olive Oil. It never tastes "musty" or "off" like some oils. However, it's hard to find in the big bottles. I found one grocery store (Shoppers Food Warehouse) in our area that sells it in the large bottles. The store is a bit of a hike from where we live, so I buy 3-4 bottles when I'm there. You can find it in the Latin aisle -- it's not usually in with the other olive oils.

Another note: I know that EVOO makes for inedible mayo, but I like to use just 1/8 cup of EVOO (out of a total of 1 1/4 cups oil) and then the rest light.  It adds a bit of richness.  

• 2 weeks later...

Have been unsuccessful in locating the "light" oil at the Supercentre and Farmer boy. But did pick up Avocado oil, so VERY thrilled to hear about using it to make a delis mayo :). Thanks all! Day 1, and I've just begun...

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
30 minutes ago, Susan Graham said:

Do you have to use a light olive oil for the mayo.

It's best not to use extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), as the taste can be very strong and you'll end up with mayo that most people who have tried it find inedible. You want an oil that doesn't have a lot of flavor. Light tasting olive oil is good for this, some avocado oils (although some apparently have more flavor than others), high-oleic sunflower or safflower oils (the high-oleic part is important -- it changes the monounsaturated fat to polyunsaturated fat ratios to be healthier than just regular sunflower or safflower oils), or macadamia nut oil (but around here, this is fairly expensive and only comes in smallish bottles, making it not very cost effective). You can also mix oils, so some people do up to half coconut oil with half some other lighter tasting oil -- more than half coconut oil changes the texture when you put it in the fridge as the coconut oil will re-solidify. A few people do use EVOO in their mayo and like it, but very, very few -- it really is a very strong flavored oil and the mayo may taste very bitter.

Archived