Veggies for breakfast

Medowsweet

So, I am failing to get my veggues for breakfast.  At first I made big elaborate omlet's full of mushrooms and onions and cooked spinich and garlic and tomato and avacado.  Or other things like cauliflower fried in olive oil, garlic, and lemon, and topped with slivered almonds...

Or halendaise sause!

Then I ran out of time, making such fancy breakfasts was making me chronically late and the stress of trying to get me to work and my daughter to school was making me crazy and extremely stressed out!  but I still had like, a can of green beans, or a raw bell pepper and just sorta choked it down to get my veggies in...

Well, that was no fun and I slowly stopped doing it.. at this point I am eating... baccon and eggs... or eggs on a microwave baked potato....

So I need some super easy (cook ahead but still easy even at the time) tastey breakfast veggies.

Ideas?

Roast a big tray(s) of veggies specifically  for eating for breakfast (my fave is Brussels sprouts, carrots, onion, cauliflower, red pepper, but any of your faves would work). You can prep the whole week's worth and use them as a side, add to eggs etc. Super easy, and they reheat nicely. 

Things I used to do:

1: make a breakfast casserole with eggs, an additional protein (usually pork I seasoned like sausage), and all the veggies I could fit in the baking dish (kale, broccoli, tomatoes, onion, sweet potato, etc). It's super simple and I usually get 6-8 servings out of it. (I would eat it cold. I still do that)

2: make enough veggies for the previous day(s) and eat them with my protein and fat. 

Ive also heard about making blended soups to help get veggies in. I'm not always a fan of soup but I found a compliant ginger carrot soup locally that is now my kryptonite. I could make it and I probably should (because money!) but it is seriously one of my favorite things. Basically, simmer veggies in a broth and either blend it, or leave as is. You can either eat it cold or warm it up (if blended, you can throw it in a travel mug and take it with you)

• Moderators

Make some soup -- you can make a big pot over the weekend and have it with your breakfast every day. Try this zucchini soup, or this cauliflower soup, or there are tons of other recipes out there, just make sure they have lots of vegetables. Even a chicken and vegetable soup, as long as you make sure you have a big enough serving, could be a good option.

You could also make fritattas or breakfast casseroles with lots of vegetables -- again, make it over the weekend or one evening after work and have food for several days.

• Whole30 Certified Coach

This is one of my favorite soups.  You have to adjust slightly to make compliant.  I use mostly canned/frozen stuff: 1 lb frozen organic strawberries, 1 32 oz can of tomatoes, lime juice from a jar, dried jalapeño... I do use fresh mint and cucumber though :)  I eat this cold - so that even saves you reheating time!  

I was on a kick with the zucchini ginger soup - that is a good early morning one too.  

One of my other early AM veggies is creamed spinach: saute an onion, add 16 oz of thawed and squeezed/drained frozen spinach, little bit of nutmeg and S&P and as much coconut milk as you'd like (I probably do 1/2 cup of so of the full fat kind).  

Archived