A Dad must lead - Our family's whole30

NicholsFam

Day - 13 Amazing E & The Chili Cookoff

E and Vicky left for a horseback riding weekend with their American Heritage Girls yesterday and spent most of the day prepping food so they knew what was in their cooler. They packed kale chips, pineapple and Lara bars for their movie time. When it came time for the movie, the rest of the girls had set out a spread of every imaginable 'snack food'. Vicky could tell that E was having a tough time and shared with her the importance of what we were doing as a family. I am pleased to report that both were able to resist the temptation and stick with the Whole30. E also had one girl come up and ask about it. She is so great!

The Chili Cookoff. Every year the company I work for has a chili cookoff and each year I have placed in the top 3, but never winning, until this year. With the help of 'Eat Well' the amazing Chocolate Chili was the winner! It was followed up by multiple requests for the name of the cook book and questions about what I was doing, because I looked like I was losing weight. Of course I took the opportunity to tell them about ISWF!

I am starting to notice the vast numbers of people who don't eat well, particularly at Costco on a Saturday, before "Frankenstorm". It made me feel great, as well as R who was shopping with me, that we didn't feel the need to have ANY samples and to R's credit she did not ask once for anything other than was on our list!

We are all on track and excited about completing our second week. R chose to have eggs, olives and tomatoes for breakfast and said she could have that every day.

Stay safe to all who might be affected by Hurricane Sandy aka "Frankenstorm"

Day 14-15 Frankenstorm, Not the storm The HUGE Family Fall Festival

R & Dad spent Saturday afternoon prepping food for the week and for Hurricane Sandy. We had a great time together and I started to hear R talking about how important it was for her to eat healthy and not have sugars. This is a MAJOR shift from the sugar addict of the past, WOOHOO!

According to Vicky, E had a tough time at the Horseback weekend, particularly on Saturday night when the other girls made brownies. E was a trooper and helped by cutting the brownies, to be involved. When she read the ingredients and did not recognize a majority of them and also saw that SUGAR was the first one, she held strong and did not have any. I am so proud of her. She chose to have some fruit with her dinner instead.

Vicky told me that the meal planning for the weekend went very well and that most of the other troop members were jealous of the good meal that both she and E were having. She definitely had a better cooler!

Lastly, yesterday afternoon, The Family Fall Festival...We are a part of a large church that puts on a Family Fall Festival with games, rides, and prizes. We take over a large shopping mall and setup around 100 games. At each game, the kids complete the game and get candy, we do this as an outreach to the community. I can dream that someday we will be giving out healthy snack, like Kale Chips and Lara Bars ;) But for now, its a candy fest. Both E & R dressed up and participated in the games. They didn't ask about having candy at all and understand why. I am going to exchange the candy for cash tonight. I am amazed at their growth and maturity at 7 & 9. What a great gift and blessing they are!

Again, stay safe to all who might be affected by Hurricane Sandy aka "Frankenstorm"

Thanks for all of your support!

Day 16-17 Hunkered Down - Great Food

We survived Hurricane Sandy with no major issues. More importantly we ate well. The girls are enjoying their choices and are now being more selective about what things they like and don't .

Nothing big to report, except we are still on track as a family and enjoying it.

Our best to everyone!

Day 18 - No Tricks, No Bad Treats - Only Good Food

Cash for Candy turned out well and the girls had no issues with Halloween, probably because Vicky and I didn't make it a big deal. We chose not to say or ask about their friends and all their candy and made it a point to focus on great tasting, good for you food.

Words cannot describe how proud I am of my wife and both E & R and their choices and their ATTITUDE. It makes life much easier when we all are working together. We all wake up rested and excited about the next day and ready to take on the world (Tiger Blood!).

My test coming up, will be a day long trout fishing trip on Saturday. I plan to pack my cooler and be ready.

Our best to everyone! Make it a great day, your influence and example has an amazing affect on ALL who surround you!

Day 19 - My new favorite Fritatta

With thanks to Nom Nom Paleo, I took some asparagus, sauted them in coconut oil and added some ground beef from the fridge then added the egg/coconut milk mixture with a touch of salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and made an amazing fritatta. The fritattas are quickly becoming my Meal #1 daily choice.

All is good in the Nichols home and we are using our new experiences to have great discussions with our friends. No takers yet, but I expect soon.

One big win occurred yesterday when R was going to watch the other kids in her co-op make 5 minute ice cream. Fortunately it didn't work... :D So R to the rescue! She brought some coconut milk with fresh strawberries. The class put the mixture in the ice cream ball and made yummy Whole30 'ice cream' and was able to then discuss nutrition and the freezing process, BONUS!

I'm off tomorrow to do some trout fishing, so Sunday will be a great trout breakfast.

My best to everyone!

Day 20&21 - Fresh Rainbow Trout

A great weekend with difficult choices and supportive friends. I went trout fishing on Saturday with a bunch of friends and brought home 4 large rainbows. We had the first one last night with some allspice, cumin and paprika, MMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMM!

The challenging part was assuming that we were going to stop for breakfast at a local country eatery and it ended up being McDonalds :o However, I did not cave. Two plain eggs and two side salads(no dressing, just salt & pepper) later, all was good. Another challenge came when we stopped for dinner, Cracker Barrel. One steak, plain, one large salad (oil & vinegar) and some green beans, and no issues. It wasn't the same as what I cook, but in a pinch it was fine.

E & R have a friend with food allergies and her Mom is reading ISWF now, so a new w30 is around the corner.

My best to everyone!

Day 22 - Energy & Excitement

I started working out again today. I was pleasantly surprised with my energy level. More and more I am finding myself sharing what limited knowledge I have learned through this process. The response comes to those who ask, "Why do you have so much energy?, You are looking great, what are you doing?"

Just for accountability, our meals yesterday:

M1 - Asparagus fritatta with sweet potato hash

M2 - Chicken thigh with Green Beans & Broccoli, handful of cashews

M3 - Organic hamburger patty with homemade mayo, carrots & a salad, Fuji apple.

Day by day, inch by inch.

I love reading your daily updates! Sounds like you and your family are doing such an amazing job! You should be so proud to set up a positive example for your girls, I can't believe how mature they are for their age.

Tonight, I will probably try the Chocolate Chili as you make it sound so great!

Days 23-30 - We (3 of 4) Made It!

The journey was shorter and longer than I imagined it would be, but all in all, we made it. The only exception was R, our youngest. She told one of her teachers that she had low blood sugar and if she didn't get some sugar, she would die. :lol::o:lol: Gotta love a 7 y.o. imagination and creativity. Once Dad found out, she was politely informed that before we reintroduced additional foods, the family had to make it through 30 days without cheating. :o

We have some new favorite meals, Chicken Pad Thai, Squash Spaghetti, Sweet Potato Hash & Nom Nom Fritattas. Most importantly we have a healthy lifestyle that will continue.

Thanks to all for your support!

PS - Dad's results, 17lbs lost and 4.5" around the belly! I don't have the blood pressure measurement yet, but I am sure it's great!

Days 23-30 - We (3 of 4) Made It!

The journey was shorter and longer than I imagined it would be, but all in all, we made it. The only exception was R, our youngest. She told one of her teachers that she had low blood sugar and if she didn't get some sugar, she would die. :lol::o:lol: Gotta love a 7 y.o. imagination and creativity. Once Dad found out, she was politely informed that before we reintroduced additional foods, the family had to make it through 30 days without cheating. :o

We have some new favorite meals, Chicken Pad Thai, Squash Spaghetti, Sweet Potato Hash & Nom Nom Fritattas. Most importantly we have a healthy lifestyle that will continue.

Thanks to all for your support!

PS - Dad's results, 17lbs lost and 4.5" around the belly! I don't have the blood pressure measurement yet, but I am sure it's great!

I so love those silly youngsters. I grounded my daughter once and she said "I am calling the authorities". Not sure she knew what the "authorities" were. :) She is 27 now and still so darling.

First of all, congratulations! That is a huge commitment, and I am again inspired.

Second of all, thanks for the laugh. I'm cracking up at your daughter. Out loud. Alone in my office.

You need to write that one down to read at her wedding one day.

Archived