Sorta Pizza Crust, Sorta Cauli Tortilla Shell

simmie

There was a recipe posted for what was called cauliflower bread (but IMO, not really bread) that sounds like a cross between pizza crust (in that it is baked before using) and a cauliflower tortilla shell (in that it's used as a wrap around other ingredients) that I'd like a take on here.

For the "bread" portion (which feels like pizza crust to me): Cauliflower rice , add 1 onion, 2 eggs, parsley, salt, pepper and some more onion powder, mix a lay it on a cookie pan covered with a cookie sheet., make it an even thin layer and bake it at 400deg for about 15 minutes then broil it for few minutes. Once cooked I just roll it together and put the whole thing in a zipper bag and refrigerate. .

In this case, it was rolled around ratatouille -- so this feels almost like the cauliflower tortillas which I know are not allowed. 

So....yay or nay on this? It's sort of both the pizza crust from a cooking standpoint, but the tortilla crust from a functional standpoint.  If you look closely at the photo, it almost looks like a burrito LOL

ratatouille wrapped in caulibread.jpg

• Administrators

I'm going to fully vote no on this one. I'm normally slightly more lax when it comes to vegetables being made into things but this is just....no. It's not like taking a lettuce leaf right off the head and putting food in it or cutting a bell pepper open and filling it with chicken salad. There's a high degree of processing involved here to try and turn cauliflower into something it's not meant to be in order to recreate bread-style wraps.

Also, sorry, that doesn't even look appetizing. :( 

6 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

I'm going to fully vote no on this one. I'm normally slightly more lax when it comes to vegetables being made into things but this is just....no. It's not like taking a lettuce leaf right off the head and putting food in it or cutting a bell pepper open and filling it with chicken salad. There's a high degree of processing involved here to try and turn cauliflower into something it's not meant to be in order to recreate bread-style wraps.

Also, sorry, that doesn't even look appetizing. :( 

I absolutely respect your opinion ladyshanny... but realistically the item in question is no different than the item Tom and another moderator gave a pass to here:

I think if this lady had baked her recipe in a casserole dish or just left it flat, it would be getting a thumbs up right now. 

• Administrators

Yep........that's the problem with these grey-area foods. There are no Whole30 Police coming to the door to smack a cauli-tortilla out of your hand, we can all, realisitcally, do whatever we want. I should have added to my original response that a person considering this really needs to examine what's behind this. If they are dead-craving tortillas because they had a wrap for lunch every day for the last 5 years and they can't imagine life without, then they should probably step away. 

I stand by my original assertion that this is an awful lot of work for something that doesn't even look delicious. ;)

From where I come , I haven't eaten a single tortilla in my life . So even if this might not be a food without breaks for me, I wouldn't even think of making it. I don't even care for a cauliflower crust pizza because I would rather have a real pizza if I want it when am not doing the whole 30.

Sitting at the other end of the world, if I was having the exact same meal, I would have not even thought about the wrap(too much work)  I would just cook up some cauli rice and douse it with the ratatouille on top! 

Archived