So I did my whole30 about a year ago. I felt great and had so many nonscale victories. But one thing that was happening to me at the same time was severe abdominal pain, concentrated on the left side mostly but sometimes the right side, and it was always worse during the morning. And, sorry TMI, but was also having BM issues - diarrhea off and on.

I was using coconut milk/cream in my coffee, and almost every day eating the chia pudding recipe with chia seeds, mashed banana, and coconut milk.

So fast forward to one year later and I bought a pack of nutpods on Amazon and am trying them for the first time. So this morning I notice that pain is back! Eureka!

I was sort of suspicious last year of the coconut milk causing the issues, but brushed it off. But now I am convinced. I googled it and apparently some people have issues tolerating it...fructose malabsorption maybe, or something else. I'm just glad I know now and can avoid it. I have never noticed a problem when I've used it in curries, soups, etc., so that's good. It's probably just the fact that it's such a heavy amount all at once!

I just wanted to share in case anyone else has had these issues!

Yup, coconut milk is high FODMAP, as are nuts, hence the returning pain with the nutpods... Well done on your light bulb moment of self discovery!!

As an aside (and for anyone else reading this thread & thinking 'oooh I might try that...!'), we don't recommend the chia pudding at all during a Whole30 as it's pretty much a replacement for a traditional breakfast food and so considered SWYPO, plus it doesnt match the template of protein, fat & veg.

35 minutes ago, VivaLaMeredith said:

Are all nuts considered to be high FODMAP? I'm trying to determine how Cashews vs Almonds impact me. 

Pistachios, almonds & hazelnuts are the worst offenders. The remainder should be very limited - even moreso than the 'closed handful every other day max' we recommend in general here.

Archived