Sign in to follow this  
JoyByName

Vegetarian proteins - Tofu ok?

I'm on day 7 but have problems with getting enough proteins i think as i find eggs on mass a bit ugh!  I guess i'm managing 2-3/day on average.  I tired temeph last night but didn't cook it right - it tasted horrible.  I'd been having a handful of nuts first few days but none last 3 as i am aware they are considered more a fat.

I'm getting some tofu which i like, but worry that its not really in the spirit of things, although i see it is considered acceptable.

Any advice or suggestions on getting enough protein (meat and fish are out for me).  Any thoughts of ways to make tempeh last good?  Any good veg recipes?

I have been using the 'modified for vegetarians' whole30 program, so have been including tempeh and tofu, even though tempeh also includes some rice, which is not allowed in the original or vegetarian plans. I've also been including some shelled edamame that I use to make curry or stir fry. 

It might depend on your reason for following this plan as well. My main reason was to break my habit of eating so much processed sugar, so it's not a big deal to me that I include things that aren't exactly in the program, as long as I keep them to a bare minimum and avoid those processed/added sugars in my food. 

I made some amazing broccoli soup last week - http://www.hummusapien.com/vegan-cream-broccoli-soup/

As for making tempeh taste good - I have been eating it with some sauteed veggies and seasoning them copiously (cumin, oregano, anything you like) then putting some salsa and avocado on top. 

I love tempeh with olive oil, garlic, and onion sautéed in a skillet, then I cool that and serve on my green salad loaded with veggies. It cooks very quick so don't overcook it.

I use tofu but always buy organic tofu.  Except in a Thai restaurant since you can't guarantee what's organic.  When ordering Thai, I always order the Thai vegetables with tofu no rice.  I try to limit going out to eat, but I dine for work events, business meetings, etc so I always try to order vegetables, salad, eggs, and if there's no other options, tofu or legumes.   I was in India for several months and it's risky to eat salad (due to the water) so my diet was mostly lentils and cooked vegetables, eggs and baked tomatoes for breakfast.  I like to cook tofu with hot spices, olive oil, and will add veggies, spinach my favorite, when I'm at home.  I've also tried almond butter (instead of peanut butter) and have at least one egg every day for protein.