Day 4 and I Got Lost

Days 1-4 were going well!  Then today happened and I just got lost. And hungry. Hungry and lost. And this led to so much eating. It was all compliant and I *think* I know where things went wrong but really, I probably have no idea.  Here's what I ate today. 

8:30am - Mug of Carrot, Corriander & Sweet Potato Soup

Leftover chicken Thigh (1) and 2 poached eggs.  I think I also had a raw carrot. And 2 or 3 grapes. I was full.

By 10:30 I was hungry again though. And my plan for the day kept changing so everything went wild.

At 11:30, I was giving my son lunch, thinking I'd be out for an hour and would have lunch then so since I was pretty hungry, at 11:30am I had a bowl of 5/6 grapes and some salted (no oil) cashew nuts. I know, bad idea.  Then my plans changed and I was going to be out for a while so thought I should eat an actual lunch. So at 11:45am, I had: 

More soup (same as above) with another chicken thigh. And some raw carrot. 

I got back home around 2pm and had:

1 chicken thigh w/ roasted broccoli and raw carrots w/ guacamole (1 whole avocado).

By the way, I do realize I'm aiming for THREE meals a day. Today, I was just hungry and like I said, lost.

At 6pm, Dinner was meant to be cod cakes (cod, potato, onion, egg, courgette, spices) but they came out more like unpleasant cod hash. I ate a small bowl and some grapes but it wasn't much so I made 2 poached eggs and had them over smashed avocado and arugula.  And 5 more grapes.

And just now, at 8:50pm I was endlessly craving peanut butter and chocolate so I had a handful of cashews and a green apple.  Logically I knew I shouldn't eat it but I was disappointed in how the day went and ate my feelings a little.  

I'm afraid if I start again that I just won't actually start again. Have I failed miserably already or do you think with tweaking I can get back on track tomorrow? 

You could just add 4 days instead of starting over. Same thing in terms of days but not so rough for your head and emotions. Just keep going until you put together 30 days. I'm sure one of the mods will help out with what you actually did and how to make it better.

1 hour ago, LaurenStarr said:

Days 1-4 were going well!  Then today happened and I just got lost. And hungry. Hungry and lost. And this led to so much eating. It was all compliant and I *think* I know where things went wrong but really, I probably have no idea.  Here's what I ate today. 

8:30am - Mug of Carrot, Corriander & Sweet Potato Soup

Leftover chicken Thigh (1) and 2 poached eggs.  I think I also had a raw carrot. And 2 or 3 grapes. I was full.

By 10:30 I was hungry again though. And my plan for the day kept changing so everything went wild.

At 11:30, I was giving my son lunch, thinking I'd be out for an hour and would have lunch then so since I was pretty hungry, at 11:30am I had a bowl of 5/6 grapes and some salted (no oil) cashew nuts. I know, bad idea.  Then my plans changed and I was going to be out for a while so thought I should eat an actual lunch. So at 11:45am, I had: 

More soup (same as above) with another chicken thigh. And some raw carrot. 

I got back home around 2pm and had:

1 chicken thigh w/ roasted broccoli and raw carrots w/ guacamole (1 whole avocado).

By the way, I do realize I'm aiming for THREE meals a day. Today, I was just hungry and like I said, lost.

At 6pm, Dinner was meant to be cod cakes (cod, potato, onion, egg, courgette, spices) but they came out more like unpleasant cod hash. I ate a small bowl and some grapes but it wasn't much so I made 2 poached eggs and had them over smashed avocado and arugula.  And 5 more grapes.

And just now, at 8:50pm I was endlessly craving peanut butter and chocolate so I had a handful of cashews and a green apple.  Logically I knew I shouldn't eat it but I was disappointed in how the day went and ate my feelings a little.  

I'm afraid if I start again that I just won't actually start again. Have I failed miserably already or do you think with tweaking I can get back on track tomorrow? 

I'm new at this so take this with a grain of salt. I thought you only had to start over if you had non-compliant food? If you didn't eat anything non-compliant I don't think you should have to start over. Learn from today, and tweak your meals tomorrow, It doesn't look like you had a fat serving with your breakfast or lunch. Have you seen the meal templates?  protein + carbs (veggies) + fat (you can find the template with more info and portion sizes on the downloads page: http://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/)

Snacking is "discouraged" but Melissa has said that you need to listen to your body about that, so I don't think a snack should make you have to start over. Also, if you're truly hungry enough to eat actual food (which it seems that you were in some of these times), you need to eat. Work at increasing your meals and following the template so that your meals last longer, but the idea is not to starve yourself. If you're hungry, eat and tweak tomorrow to get your meals to last longer.  It has taken me some days to figure this out as well. 

I know you said you know this, but fruit and nuts are discouraged as a snack. For craving purposes, but also the sugar rush without protein and veggies doesn't help regulate your blood sugar or keep your body satiated. 

Tomorrow is a new day! Make a list of reasons why you want to do this, and get back on track tomorrow :)

• Moderators

@Newbie23 is right, if you didn't eat anything non-compliant you don't need to start over.

It definitely looks like you need fat in your meals, and for the meals where you listed just a chicken thigh as your protein, you may have needed a little more protein than that, sometimes they're on the small side.

oxMaybe instead of saving grapes for a snack, try to have them in a chicken salad or on top of your salad. It'll make the sugar dragon tamer! Aim for other fats besides nuts. Try not having nuts for a few days and try rendered animal fats, ghee, coconut (oil, flesh, or milk!), olives, avocado, etc. don't feel like you need to start over, but learn from today. And follow the template and tomorrow can be easier :)

Thanks everyone. I have looked at the template a lot. I guess I'm still working out what it means in actual meals. 

I'm such a fruit addict!  I have tried eating it in my meals but think I probably need to try to go a few days without it (if I even can). 

I haven't bought ghee yet because of the cost and I'm not a huge fan of coconut or the flavor of coconut oil so my fat is coming from EVOO, avocado and avocado oil and nuts but I'll forego the nuts for now. 

Thanks again.

Ghee is so easy to make so it doesn't have to break the bank. Use whatever unsalted butter you have and you can make it quite easily. 

Mayo is also another good fat. I normally hate it but I tried homemade and I love it. Just don't give me any store bought hellmans or miracle whip :-p 

Don't give up! I'm at the tail end of my fourth round and consider myself pretty seasoned. Regardless I have off days when I feel like I haven't made any progress at all. I try to do better the next day and usually do, and within a few days I'm back on track. I'd agree that limiting fruit is a great idea if you are using it as a sugar replacement. Try to stick to berries!

Archived