Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Medowsweet

Recepie wanted: veggie hashbrowns

I am looking for a recepie that would be like veggie hashbrowns or latkas.  I know technically a potato IS a veggie and some potato would be fine but I am looking for breakfast veggie ideas and thought "you know what woukd taste good?  Veggie hashbrowns!!"

I like my hashbrowns crispy and thin with gooey sunny side up egg yolk overtop 

My favorite is a sweet potato hash...I cut up a small sweet potato....I used about a tap coconut oil....small sweet onion, zucchini, spinach and I like to scramble my eggs and mix them up. TOP WITH FRANKS HOT SAUCE...TO DIE FOR!

You could still use that basic recipe and substitute other veggies in. Zucchini, cauliflower, even finely chopped broccoli, shredded carrots, and anything else you can shred. Dump it in the bowl and mix it up. Maybe add an egg or two to help it all stick together.

I have a great recipe that have been wanting to share so perfect!!

2 carrots 

2 parsnips 

1 small to medium sweet potato 

1-2 small potatoes I used red ones

Shred with grater or food processor, salt and mix. Now I just pat them dry with a paper towel or two, lay them on parchment and shape them into a flat sort of patty then I stack them on parchment paper, on the other until I fill a Tupperware. Then when you freeze them you could peel them off. They don't stick together great, I cook them on high (to thaw as well as cook) in fat of your choice, maybe a egg or some coconut flour would help them stick together better if you care about it a lot. I over salted my last batch and now I just pour the eggs on top of them as they cook. So good!!

This is probably not what you're looking for, but...

My substitute for hash browns is roasted Brussels sprouts. I roast a large pan of sprouts with bacon every week.

For breakfast, I will heat up the sprouts in a skillet--usually with some protein like left-over Kalua Pig--and then fry a few eggs to put on top. I really like the flavor combination of bacon-seasoned sprouts and gooey egg yolks.

I add packaged broccoli slaw to my breakfast hash, maybe that would work mixed with shredded potato and cooked in ghee? I would experiment and try to cut everything up the same.