Sauerkraut

kb0426

Where on earth do you find sauerkraut that does not have sugar in it?

I went online to look for recipes and when I saw what you must do to make your own, I thought there has to be an easier way. I can make my own mayo, prepare bone broth like it is my job, and practically move mountains but I am not attempting my own sauerkraut.

So? Where is this illusive gem? Sitting next to the sugar free bacon in Heaven?

Thanks in advance!

I purchased Krrrrisp Kraut, by Silver Floss, (cutsie spelling is their choice, not mine), at the grocery.

It is carried in the refrigerated pickle section, as well as with the corned beef in the meat case.

Ingredients: Cabbage, Water, Salt, Sodium Benzoate and Sodium Bisulfite.

Their website is: glkfoods.com

I purchased Krrrrisp Kraut, by Silver Floss, (cutsie spelling is their choice, not mine), at the grocery.

It is carried in the refrigerated pickle section, as well as with the corned beef in the meat case.

Ingredients: Cabbage, Water, Salt, Sodium Benzoate and Sodium Bisulfite.

Their website is: glkfoods.com

That one contains a couple of preservatives that I wouldn't be comfortable with. They are fairly controversial and very closely regulated (which is a red flag to me) by the FDA. Maybe a moderator will okay them, but if not, you can find it without those in the ingredients.

I had never even considered to look in the canned vegetable section!

So many wonderful suggestions! I will gladly walk around the entire grocery store to locate some of these brands!

If I walk around the store enough, perhaps I can consider that my exercise for the day. ;)

I had never even considered to look in the canned vegetable section!

So many wonderful suggestions! I will gladly walk around the entire grocery store to locate some of these brands!

If I walk around the store enough, perhaps I can consider that my exercise for the day. ;)

Okay, but wait. Isn't the point of sauerkraut to do something good to/for your gut flora? I don't care for it, so I am very ignorant on the subject. I thought to reap the benefits, you have to eat raw, therefore canned wouldn't be the same? Again, I don't like it, so pretty much let someone knowledgable put their two cents in.

All you knowledgeable folks let me know before Saturday when I go shopping.

I just like the stuff and if I can find a compliant one, I can enjoy it with whatever compliant sausage product I can find to serve it with.

The gut benefit would just be a bonus!

I just make my own. It's super easy and is edible in a week but lasts much longer. While some recipes look complicated it doesn't have to be. Just cut cabbage, salt, let it sit, shove it in a jar and cap with a bag of water temperature weigh it down. Wait a week and eat. Bonus... It tastes butter than canned.

All you knowledgeable folks let me know before Saturday when I go shopping.

I just like the stuff and if I can find a compliant one, I can enjoy it with whatever compliant sausage product I can find to serve it with.

The gut benefit would just be a bonus!

Oh, then gosh, just go grab some cans of what Nancy buys. I've only seen people want raw and organic because they are using it as a tool for some sort of gut thing. :)

I just make my own. It's super easy and is edible in a week but lasts much longer. While some recipes look complicated it doesn't have to be. Just cut cabbage, salt, let it sit, shove it in a jar and cap with a bag of water temperature weigh it down. Wait a week and eat. Bonus... It tastes butter than canned.

I love making a lot of items from scratch but sauerkraut is the one thing I am weary of.. lol..and I am usually not afraid to try anything at least once!

Clearly I am looking at the wrong recipes then! I saw fancy crocks, warning about the type of water you use, etc. I guess it had me panicked!

I will search for a proper recipe and in the meantime, I think I will look for Bubbies!

Yeah, that's just silly. I don't even use water. Salting the cabbage and letting it sit followed by massage and beating it with fists creates enough juice that it ferments in its own.

Lordy. I still say bone broth (I call it stock) is easier.

Yeah, that's just silly. I don't even use water. Salting the cabbage and letting it sit followed by massage and beating it with fists creates enough juice that it ferments in its own.

So, not only will I get sauerkraut, I can work out aggressions. I am liking this more and more!

Okay, you are now my official sauerkraut mentor, and as such I have two questions:

1. Kosher salt or do I need special pickling salt?

2. Fermentation is to take place in a deep dark corner or in the refrigerator?

I am not usual so ignorant, but this is unchartered territory people and I really want to make this on Saturday!

Thank you for giving me the courage to try this! The worst thing that can happen is that it fails - big deal!

Archived