Sauerkraut

kb0426

Okay I LOVED this video! If this had only been the first hit when I googled looking for how to make sauerkraut, I never would have asked my original question!

I love his kitchen. He obviously COOKS in there!

I filmed my krout but haven't edited it yet due to my foot surgery. Were you able to figure it out?

Thank you for going to all that effort! I hope your recovery is easy!

I am sauerkraut maker, hear me roar!

Insert image of flexing biceps here.

Okay, so the reality is, as of today I am veggie slicer, grater, mixed and massaged with salt to produce water maker, but I hope to be able to declare several days from now that I conquered this!

Thank you again for all of the guidance and encouragement.

Veggies should not make one feel so powerful...

I had the pleasure of hearing Sandor give a talk at my local college last week. He said the question he is asked most frequently regarding fermenting foods is if you can make someone sick. He said in the history of the FDA there has never been a case of sauerkraut killing anyone ;O) He's a fun speaker if you ever get a chance. People brought him gifts of pickles and bottles of kombucha. He had fermenting groupies!!!!

So, I made some saurkraut yesterday. I climbed up my step stool to check on it. (I put in the cabinet above fridge with my other canned goods). Holy mess batman! I must have filled my jar too much. Purple water was everywhere. Got it cleaned up and removed some excess water. We'll see what tomorrow brings. It was pretty easy. Next time, I will let the cabbage come to room temp. My hands were freezing after all that squeezing.

Gah! I had my jar sitting out in the open on a plate so I could monitor it. I had the purple liquid spilling over onto the plate fortunately and could just dump it out.

I tasted mine yesterday. A bit too salty, so that will be a lesson learned, and not quite fermented enough for me. But, it is getting there!

Next time, I will let the cabbage come to room temp. My hands were freezing after all that squeezing.

I had the SAME problem!! I had to keep running my hands under hot water to heat them and then I would go back to squeezing!

My boyfriend hates sauerkraut so imagine my surprise when his eyes shot open and he gushed over my last batch. I had to practically force him to try it. Lmao, fresh, homemade krout is the best! He said it reminded him of fermented green mango from home when he was little. My last batch was a little too salty but it just took longer to ferment and the flavor is amazing. I just spoon out what I'm eating and put the rest back to keep fermenting. It's 3 weeks now and a lot better than last week. I used green cabbage though.

• 2 weeks later...

I started making this recipe this summer and nit is to die for! The touch of ginger is a remarkable enhancement...it just seems to wake the kraut up even more. This is fantastic on salad with sardines and whatever other veg you wish to toss on. Just add some of the oil from the sardines and a dash of the sauerkraut liquid and you've got a salad dressing ready to go. Yum.

http://sauerkrautrecipe.org/tickled-pink-ginger-kraut/

Archived