Wedding on day 20! HELP!

liv.88

hey, guys! i'm sure this is a non issue but im on my first round and on the 20th day (this saturday) I'll be at a wedding. I've managed to dine out a couple of times and it was super successful. But now I'm getting concerned about this - I know that at weddings they serve meat and salad/veggies for dinner, but my biggest concern here is my willpower. My major problem with food is that i tend to think that EVERYTHING is worth it, specially on "special occasions" - so I eat like there's no tomorrow. I'm like that on parties, travels and every other weekend as well. So you can see why I wanted to begin the program in the first place.

I'm used to go to events thinking about the food and desserts and this time I'll have to change my behaviour - I haven't had to do this yet, and I knew it was coming at some point hahaha. I mean, I've been learning not to plan my friday night based on snacks and sugar, but it's the first time that I'm facing what used to be an "eat all you can" event.

Do you guys have any tips to power through this? I was thinking that I should eat something before the ceremony  so I won't get starving at the party - which would make me want to eat every cheesy petit-four they'll be serving before dinner. And maybe concentrate on dancing rather than sitting on the table and eat eat eat.

I don't want to fail sooo close to day 30. It's been a hard but great journey so far.

<3 thanks!

Eat a template meal before hand for sure. Stash some compliant snacks (epic bars, tuna, olives, veggie sticks) in your bag. I honestly would avoid eating anything that's been marinated or might contain questionable stuff (like the meat or dips) and stick to things that are more whole food (fruit and veggies... so take something to offset the potential sugar spikes).

focusing on dancing sounds like fun! Honestly, no one will probably notice if you don't eat or if you are being selective with your food. Have fun, enjoy the wedding, and you can do this. (FYI idk if there will be a bar or if that will be tempting to you... I would go club soda and lime or lemon if you feel you need something to occupy your hand. I mean I do that w30 or not because I don't really like the taste of alcohol)

Hi, Karen! Thanks!

You're right, I hadn't really thought about marinated meat and stuff. 

An I didn't drink before w30 too, i really don't like the taste either, so one less thing to worry about. But i do like the ideia of having something to occupy my hand, other than food hahaha.

Thanks!! I'll let you know how that works out.

check out this thread: 

If you feel like putting a little effort into it, you could go ahead and try making some arrangements ahead of time. 

I thought this lady's solution was awesome and it turned out to be not as difficult as she thought. It inspired me to do the same for 2 weddings I went to this fall. I was not strictly Whole30 at the time, but I stay pretty ccompliant most of the time and am gluten free anyways so making arrangements is almost inevitable. At one of the weddings it worked out very well, the caterer was able to accommodate me by not marinating my steak and providing plain baked potaoes. The other caterer was not able to accommodate me.at.all. But they were courteous and helpful in providing me with the info I needed and I was able to go to the wedding well prepared. I was able to nibble some plain salad actually, along with my own snacks.

In my correspondence I made it clear I didn't expect to be accommodated but just wanted info and did politely ask if there was anything they could do to help. If possible make sure you can communicate with the caterer rather than the bride/groom as it will just be less stressful for all involved. 

Food intolerances are so common now, there's almost bound to be something they can do to help, so why not chance it and ask?? 

18 hours ago, J9er said:

check out this thread: 

If you feel like putting a little effort into it, you could go ahead and try making some arrangements ahead of time. 

I thought this lady's solution was awesome and it turned out to be not as difficult as she thought. It inspired me to do the same for 2 weddings I went to this fall. I was not strictly Whole30 at the time, but I stay pretty ccompliant most of the time and am gluten free anyways so making arrangements is almost inevitable. At one of the weddings it worked out very well, the caterer was able to accommodate me by not marinating my steak and providing plain baked potaoes. The other caterer was not able to accommodate me.at.all. But they were courteous and helpful in providing me with the info I needed and I was able to go to the wedding well prepared. I was able to nibble some plain salad actually, along with my own snacks.

In my correspondence I made it clear I didn't expect to be accommodated but just wanted info and did politely ask if there was anything they could do to help. If possible make sure you can communicate with the caterer rather than the bride/groom as it will just be less stressful for all involved. 

Food intolerances are so common now, there's almost bound to be something they can do to help, so why not chance it and ask?? 

Hey, J9er! Thank you so much for the tip! I loved this thread you linked. I'm not actually close to the bride and groom and I didn't feel comfortable approaching them with this, but I'm friendd with her sister so I already asked her if she knows who's cattering - she might know.

I don't know how the response will be since it's such a short notice- the wedding is tomorrow - but I'm thinking that they might at least tell me about food prep, so I can avoid stuff rather than just imagine what's compliant or not. In the worst case scenario I'll eat salad hahahaha.

I'm a little worried that my parents will think I'm out of my mind - they know i'm doing this and my mother actually helps me out when I eat at home, but this might seem like an exaggeration to them. OH WELL.

Archived