Choosing start date

SAW3

• Moderators

This is mostly a personal decision. It can be very difficult to do a Whole30 during the holidays, for sure, especially if it's a pretty big change from how you normally eat.

Something you could consider -- if you want to start on January 1, you could think of the time until then as a chance to practice. Find some recipes to try, start replacing non-Whole30 pantry staples with compliant versions, whether you make them or buy them -- things like mayo, ketchup, salad dressings. Start reading more on the forum or the Whole30 blog to learn more about the program, tips for success, recipes, etc.

Doing this also means that if many of the staple items you'll need to cook this way are new to you, you've got some extra time to buy one or two things each time you go grocery shopping, instead of one shopping trip where you're buying a whole bunch of stuff like oils and spices. It really adds up when you're buying olive oil and coconut oil and several different spices, all in addition to the actual meat and vegetables you're going to eat.

14 hours ago, SAW3 said:

Trying to decide if it makes sense to start after thanksgiving with the holidays coming (so much temptation) or wait until news years 

Hello SAW3,  Welcome. That was great advice from ShannonM16. I'll just add this: only you know how you respond to "temptations."  If you started on the day after Thanksgiving you could have the 30 days done at Christmas. It is a close call, and could feel like a lot of pressure, though.

I don't know your normal eating habits, so I'll offer this in addition to the ShannonM16 advice: you might consider cutting out only some of the 7 items; I would recommend that you try eliminating alcohol, sugars & sweeteners, and grains.  After one month of that, your complete Whole30 after Christmas or New Years could be easier. Of course, every body is different, and this is just my opinion. 

I have read a lot on this site about people having trouble with sugar and carbohydrates. I cut those out before I started my official Whole30 and I think that is why it went so well for me.

Good luck, keep us posted.

natasha

21 hours ago, SAW3 said:

Trying to decide if it makes sense to start after thanksgiving with the holidays coming (so much temptation) or wait until news years 

For me personally, I started on Nov. 4th. I knew that if I didn't start asap, I would always have an excuse at the ready--traveling, holidays, birthdays, I could find some obstacle indefinitely and I just had to go for it. So, I gave myself a few days to get the house ready (clean out pantry and remove non-compliant foods as much as possible, stock up on the good stuff, do some prep work and planning, etc. With that said, I still haven't gotten through Thanksgiving yet, although I do have a plan that I think will be okay (it's easier for me because I am cooking Thanksgiving dinner myself). 

I recently decided to finally go for it and do the whole30 but was having similar difficulty deciding if I should start it over the holidays, especially since they don't recommend it. I finally came down deciding to do "whole30ish" for December, leaving room to partake in my traditional holiday indulgences if I choose to on the day. The idea of jumping into something without practicing first sparks my anxiety, so knowing that it's a "warm up" takes some of the pressure off. Then, come January 1, I'll be one of the mob starting it "for real," but hopefully on slightly better footing than I would have otherwise. It's very validating to hear someone advise the exact plan I'd come up with for myself! :)

Happy Holidays!

Archived