Walnuts in Pork Tenderloin recipe

Coopergirl

I just made the pork tenderloin recipe on pg 252 in the Whole30 book. The directions state to 'coat the pork evenly with the chopped walnuts' but there is nothing to make the walnuts stick to the pork so there was no way to 'coat' it  and they all fell off . Has anyone else had same experience? Any ideas on how to make the nuts stick (like it looks in the photo in the book)?

• Moderators

Hmm... You're right, I just looked at the recipe and there's no moisture at all.

I think if you want to stick to the recipe without making modifications, you could put those finely chopped walnuts on parchment and then roll the loin up in the parchment squeezing tightly to sort of force them to stick. Make sure they're very finely ground.

If that doesn't work, I personally would add a touch of olive oil to the nuts and make a crust as well as I could.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I"m not LadyShanny but I live just across town from her :)

I"ve found many whole grain and spicy mustards that are compliant but they are usually at more boutique places (my butcher carries a line)... they may not be technically 'dijon' but they'll do the same job that LadyShanny was suggesting for coating meats :)

Hi All, I love this recipe and use a little olive oil to make it stick, no issue finding compliant mustard down under, so I use Dijon rather than the powder. I mixed macadamia nuts last time, and it was great.

Archived