Whole 30 +

nshepardson

If anyone had told me 30 days ago that I'd be committing to another 30 days of Whole30 I'd have told them they were out of their minds . . .but I just feel so good about this way of living, I figure why ruin a good thing.

I will be experimenting throughout the next 30 days - not so much with adding food back in - but possibly taking some foods out. I will be hearing back from my FDN coach regarding the diagnostic adrenal stress test I took last week. Depending on the results, I may take some further tests to determine if I have any food sensitivities.

I learned a lot about how my body responds to food these past 30 days. I did not experience a huge drop in weight - I went from 133.5lbs. to 129.4lbs., so maybe 4 lbs.? I lost 1.5 inches around my waist, 1.75 inches around my hips and .50 around my upper arm (bicep). It was the increased energy levels I experienced that motivated me to keep going another 30 days. That and the fact that I stopped having those insistent cravings I used to have when I would "diet" to lose weight.

I have a totally different attitude about food and health, than I had 30 days ago. For the first time in my life I'm eating when I'm hungry and stopping when I'm full.

It's a fact. I may be 61 years old and post menopausal, but I remember filling up the cereal bowl 2 sometimes 3 times with CapN Crunch and ADDING sugar to it when I'd get home from cheerleading practice in high school. I'd still have room for supper and dessert if there was any . . .

Here's to Day 31!

Day 31

Beautiful long walk today in the neighborhood. And, I treated myself to a massage this afternoon, sooo good, to celebrate my having finished the 30 days of Whole30 ;)

I pulled some meat out of the freezer for a crockpot stew. I plan to start that tomorrow morning before I leave for my appointments tomorrow. Tonight we grilled some pastured pork chops - melt in your mouth. I love pork chops.

Today I ate:

chocolate chili

avocado and tomato salad with lime juice and cilantro

grilled pork chop

sauteed apples in ghee

broccoli, steamed

I'm finding two meals a day and sometimes a snack is really all I need every day. I do find if I eat too much fruit, I get hungrier and seem to stay that way most of the day.

I'm looking forward to getting my adrenal stress test results in the next few days.

Hi Nan, It looks like we are in this together. I'm so glad you decided to post again.

I really hope your new tests turn out OK.

You did so great the first time around that I have no doubt that you will do the same this time.

I haven't added anything new yet, other than a little Stevia in my coffee. So far I can't see any difference.

But from what I have been reading about dairy, I don't think I want to try that .

Day 32

Thanks "Newbie"! We're practically neighbors. I was just up in McHenry at a conference lately.

Nancy are you finding stevia to be pretty neutral, or is it causing you to have cravings for more sweet "stuff"? I hope the tests come back with good news too, thanks Nancy. I'm afraid I'll hear I'm going to have to give up my coffee. Oh well, to feel better I can do that, right?

Rainy day here today. A good day energy wise for me. I threw the kettle bells around today for about 40 minutes. I love using them and am getting some good results.

Today I ate:

Coconut latte

Black tea

Chocolate chili (all gone now)

Broccoli

Crock pot GF beef stew

Cauliflower rice

Green apple w/sun butter

Day 33

It sure got cold here fast today. A wet and cold day in Chicagoland.

Have I said how much I love my crockpot? Well I do, love my crockpot. With a little planning, it makes having dinner ready a cinch, not to mention how good the house smells ;)

Still haven't heard back on my adrenal stress test results. And yes, I am anxious to know how my old adrenals are doing.

Today I ate:

Crockpot beef stew

Cauliflower rice

green apple

Sun Butter

Bacon & Eggs

Yes I am trying eggs again, I've missed them, and my digestive system is working beautifully now-so we'll see if eggs can become a part of my meal plans again. I miss them;(

You're right about being neighbors, Nan! I actually drive to Chicago every day for school and for my internship, so I can testify to the wetness today for sure.

I've been using my crockpot more lately, too. Yesterday I tossed some carrots & yellow onions in with the Smokey Roast from Everyday Paleo and served it over Cauliflower Mash. Quick, easy, and yet super tasty! Was great when I had it for lunch today, too.

Good luck with the eggs! I do hope the reintroduction goes well for you. It's hard to imagine my mornings without eggs..

Day 34

Thanks for the link Atla. I'm thawing out a pork shoulder and plan to try Italian Style Pork Roast from Mel at clothesmakethegirl tomorrow. Next on my list is Smokey Roast;). No reaction yet from eating eggs, yet . .

Long day today. I had running appointments from 9am to 4pm. So glad I remembered to pack some food.

Today I ate:

Bacon

Sautéed kale w/onions

GF beef jerky

Avocado, tomato lime juice smushed together

Crockpot beef stew

Cauliflower rice

I still loooove fruit, especially apples fresh from the orchards, crisp, clean, tart and sweet at the same time. Did I mention juicy? It's just if I eat fruit everyday I find my cravings for sugar coming back, I'm hungry right away afterward. If I have an apple occasionally with some fat, like sunbutter-my body seems to be OK with it.

Hi Nan, I know what you mean about fruit. I LOVE fresh fruit. But I think I have been eating a little too much of it lately.

My blood sugar (Diabetes 2) is still running a little high. so I am going to cut out all fruit for a week or so and see if that helps.

Glad to see you are doing so well in spite of a busy work schedule.

You go, Girl.!

Thanks Nancy! I am going, maybe a little too fast - in fact - I forgot to post yesterday.

Day 35

Yesterday I ate:

Bacon

Eggs

Sauteed Kale w/garlic

Coconut Latte

Black Tea

Liver & Onions

Cauliflower Rice

Day 36

It's down to slim pickins' at the French Market now. She still had some beautiful broccoli and rutabagas, and her kale - OMG - huge bunches, dark emerald green, lacinto (dinosaur) kale.

The pork shoulder is ready to crockpot today. The only left to do today after I prep my veggies and get my roast cooking is some yard work. It's time to clean up the hanging flower baskets, they've definitely seen better days. I guess our warm weather is coming tomorrow - we'll take it!

Day 36

Gorgeous day today. I rebounded for about 20 minutes and then did some body weight and kettle bell swings tabata style. Prepped my veggies and finished the pork roast. Homemade apple sauce with strawberries, cinnamon, apples, lemon juice Ala the Civilized Caveman. Really good!

Today I ate

Shrimp

Avocado & Tomatoes w/ lime juice

Pork roast

Apple Sauce (homemade recipe from the Civilized Caveman)

Sautéed Kale

Really tired tonight, looking forward to a goodnight's sleep.

Day 37

It's Sally's day today. She had a bout of dizziness last week and went into the ER. They came up with vertigo and and MRI showed a 50% occlusion in her right carotid artery. She has a new physician now - a female. I'm hoping she'll work with her on her diet. Going to the grocery store with Sal is an adventure. We roam the processed food aisles and buy her brands of vegetables in cans, (I know right?) and the bakery aisle - I just can't go there this morning. She can't see, she's almost blind now, macular degeneration.

Last week we worked on a spaghetti squash together. I'll find out today if she liked it. I asked her if she wanted me to spend some time in her kitchen prepping her veggies and meat so all she has to do is pop them in her crockpot. She said she'd think about it . . .

I love my aunt. We've become great pals over the past 5 years or so.

I'm packing my pork roast (some extra if she'd like to try it), some tomato and avocado salad, leftover sautéed kale and some shrimp.

Oh, the whole egg experiment is coming to a grinding halt. Yep, 2 days after I ate eggs - I'm constipated. Oh well, it was worth a try, right?

Nan...I hope today goes well for your Aunt Sally. I'm sure it is really a mixed blessing. You are so glad to see her and to be able to spend time with her, but at the same time it must be very difficult to see her deteriorate. I hope she likes the Pork Roast. Sorry about the reaction from the eggs. I know you were hoping for something else. But at least you know.

Thanks Nancy. You are absolutely right about my aunt Sally. It's bitter-sweet to spend time with her. It is an excellent lesson for learning to let go of situations we can't control and to learn to participate when it's appropriate.

And, she loved the pork roast. We took out her old crockpot, dusted it off, and ready to rock 'n roll with some new recipes!

The whole egg thing, if I dwell on it, could lead me down that deep dark tunnel, and I refuse to go there! You're rubbing off on me Nancy - I'm committed. Why do anything halfway, right?

Day 38

I forgot to post my food yesterday.

Yesterday I ate:

shrimp

avocado, tomato, olive and lime juice smushed together

crockpot pork roast

BA Salad

Cream of Broccoli soup

I also got my adrenal stress test results back. I have very low cortisol and low DHEA and melatonin. I'll be talking with my FDN practitioner this afternoon to find out what all these "results" mean, and what the next step is to start improving my health.

Day 38

So, the good news is, I can still have my coffee, for a while. I will be taking some supplements for about 60 days, and then will do some retesting of some individual hormones to see if the supplementation is helping. The concern now is for the low melatonin, she said it was the lowest melatonin level she's seen to date. She also said it may be an indicator of some lower GI distress - infection, parasites, etc. So, I will be taking a couple more tests; a Mucosal Barrier test and a Metabolic test.

She was really pleased about my having completed a Whole30 and how I'm committing to another 30 days for a total of 60 days.

Today I ate:

Wellshire Farms organic pork sausage

sauteed spinach

avocado

GF beef bratwurst

green beans

sweet potato

Day 39

Hi Nancy, I'm not sleeping as poorly as I used to before Whole30, but I could definitely use some improvement. I usually have to be in bed no later than 9pm or I will have trouble getting to sleep.

I'm looking forward to getting the supplements she recommended. Hopefully I'll experience more improvement. It was gratifying to hear her say that Whole30 is really beneficial for adrenal fatigue.

Long day today, and a busy one. I did go for a long walk this morning, nothing strenuous, intense exercise is off the menu for a while!

Today I ate:

Coconut milk latte

Black tea

Wellshire Farms organic pork sausage

Sweet potato hash

GF beef bratwurst

Avocado

Cauliflower Rice

Celery apple salad

Day 40

Had a small headache this morning. It was gone by noon. Easy day today with only a couple of appointments.

Only did 2 sets of Sarah Lurie iron core kettle bell DVD. Taking it slow and easy since finding out about my adrenal exhaustion. I've got a lot of healing to do and it won't be happening over night. So very glad I committed to paleo, it will make this process a whole lot more easy and beneficial.

Today I ate:

Coconut milk latte

Black tea

GF beef summer sausage

Broccoli

Sautéed kale

Avocado

Pineapple

Chicken wings

Green beans

I am feeling tired tonight and looking forward to sleeping.

Day 41

I can't believe it's day 41 all ready. Just goes to show you that yes indeed time does fly when you're having fun! It has become so easy to eat this way, when at first it seemed to be so difficult. I don't even have to think about what I'm hungry for or what I want to eat. It's an automatic thought process for me. Grocery shopping is so easy now, it's just about replacing the necessities, experimenting with new vegetables, etc. And, I can walk past "the jewel case" as my hubby likes to call the dessert case at WF's, without giving it a thought. Very cool!

Today I ate:

Bacon

Avocado & tomatoes

Chicken wings

GF hamburger, grilled

Cauliflower rice

Broccoli

Late night tonight, I am really ready for bed . . .

Day 42

I finally was able to make coconut whipped cream from canned coconut milk. So good with coffee this morning. Today was the last day for my favorite farmer's produce at our local French Market. It's definitely headed toward winter here in the Midwest.

I started out the day today with a headache. I hadn't had a headache like this in a couple of weeks. I used to wake up with headaches like this everyday for a couple weeks this time of year. By the I finished walking to the market, it was gone. Now that's progress.

I just started my new testing regimen. Today I'm doing the saliva testing for mucosal barrier function. Tomorrow I'll do the metabolic test. Hopefully by Monday I'll have all my supplements and can start working on my healing my adrenals.

So far today I ate:

Bacon

Chicken wings

Sautéed spinach

Coffee with coconut whipped cream

Blackberries

I have a big batch of bone broth (GF beef) simmering and plan on taking a long leisurely walk this afternoon.

Day 43

So, I finished off Day 42 with:

Black Tea

Flank Steak

BA Salad w/avocados, tomatoes, olives, red onion, cilantro, romaine, Olive Oil & Lemon Juice

Two meals a day and sometimes a snack are about all I can eat throughout the day. It feels like a lot of food and I fill up quickly. Very pleased about that.

I bought some new walking shoes yesterday, ON SALE! Don't you just love a good bargain? I do! I'd been waiting for these to go on sale. They're designed for colder, wetter weather. I usually walk in the mornings, early, and we're headed for colder temps here in Chicago. Today we'll be around 40 degrees, with a high of 48.

And, I'm starting my supplements today, and will add in the rest on Monday. I checked with the gal I'm working with and she said that was fine, just document in my journal what I started when. Taking those tests is a real pain in the butt. I've gotten so accustomed to eating when I'm hungry and quitting when I'm full - being sure to eat at a certain time and timing my saliva testing accordingly is a bit of a pain. It will be worth it in the long run - I'm grateful we were able to budget enough money to invest in our health like this.

My bone broth is almost done - I love the way it makes the house smell. I'll be putting a GF chuck roast in the crockpot for dinner tonight. I love a good chuck roast, it reminds me of lazy Sunday afternoons watching the Green Bay Packers at my mom & pop's house. She made the best chuck roast ever, hands down ;).

Day 43

Long day today, got a lot done around the house. Right after I posted, my bone broth timed out and I went to empty, well, long story short, I knocked the pot over and spilled it all over the place. I only ended up with about 1 pint of actual broth. I broke my kettle too, it has a really good time set and temperature gauge on it - anyway, my husband was able to fix it. I just hated wasting all that beautiful broth all over the floor.

The chuck roast came out great! I used carrots, squash and rutabagas. I DID NOT spill that pot over.

Today I ate:

Coconut Cream Coffee

Black Tea

Pastured Pork Sausage

Sweet Potato Hash

1/2 left over Hamburger, grilled

Granny Smith Apple w/Sunbutter

Crockpot Chuck Roast

Brussel Sprouts

Thanks Nancy. I'm sticking with the Whole30 and haven't ventured out to try any dairy or legumes. I rather like my digestion the way it is these days. I still wish I could eat eggs, maybe someday.

Day 44

It was chilly here today. I really wrapped up for my morning walk. I have a nephew in NYC and yes I am worried, he's staying put. It is his choice, right? We're praying for everyone in this storm's path - the worst hurricane I can ever remember.

Today I ate:

Pastured pork sausage

Steamed spinach

Blackberries w/coconut whipped cream

Coconut cream latte

Black Tea

Roast Chicken

Brussels sprouts

Day 45

Had more energy today. I just started with my supplements. The first 2 days were rough. I had a headache each morning, they went away quickly, so I figured it was no big deal. Then this morning I noticed a nice big jump in energy without that feeling of anxiousness that used to follow. I stayed steady like that throughout the day. I felt really good.

I've been sleeping longer and at a rate of 96%, waking up 3 or 4 times throughout the night but immediately going back to sleep. Last night I slept 9 hours! I'm sureness that heled with my energy levels today. I'm tracking my sleep with fitbit one.

Today I ate:

Chicken wings

Avocado

GF beef sausage

Tomatoes

Grilled chicken salad

Homemade mayonnaise

Crockpot beef stew

BA Salad w/romaine, cukes, onions, bell peppers, radishes

Archived