Enough excuses! Starting 11/21!!

MizRik

A few more NSV's today!B)

HuHot was a raging success - I only wish they had more compliant sauces!  Yummy & full!

My clothes is starting to fit very differently - probably not size changes, but definitely a more comfy fit.

I LOVE wearing hats, but over the last 10 months or more I have been embarrassed because my face was so puffy it just didn't look cute anymore.  I wore a hat all day today and felt very confident.:D

Organized grocery shopping took a couple hours and 3 stops, but I got everything I need for a well-planned week.

I helped move our old bed and deliver it to a friend in need - I was flexible and strong, with no hesitation or stopping to catch my breath.

My moods seem to be stabilizing...

I'm trying to be more upbeat about this choice - which it totally is - I was starting to be very negative about only being 1/3 through and then I was like - wait, (internal dialogue) I'm not even sure I'm stopping after 30 days - don't be such a grouch about changes you're choosing to make!  How are you going to stick with this amazingness with this attitude?!?!?  I just feel so good - I don't want to mess that up - ever.

You guys are all awesome and I love checking this forum multiple times a day!

Tomorrow is the 2 week mark!

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
57 minutes ago, CCLaymon said:

@Jessica NGOne tip for the future: orange and apple juice have a lot of sugar so you probably want to avoid that. Unless you squeezed the orange, which would be fine!

You don't need to squeeze an orange yourself to use in cooking things like this... as long as the juice used doesn't have added sugar, then its fine... 

10 hours ago, littleg said:

Egg salad.  I'm a child of the 80s.  Egg yolks, mayo... verboten!  So maybe thats why I love it so much - I lived without it for 30 years because it was "too high in cholesterol".  Hubs and I always have hard boiled eggs in the fridge as well as mayo.  3 eggs, big old blob of mayo and I'm a happy camper :) Breakfast this AM was all random leftovers - leftover roasted broccoli, left over roasted potatoes, 1 raw red pepper topped with egg salad.   

3 hardboiled eggs. Blob of homemade mayo. Little salt. Little pepper. That was my breakfast this morning!! With two clementines on the side! I love that breakfast!! 

On December 2, 2016 at 10:38 PM, Jessica NG said:

@Change30 & @NoMoreCrunchyCravings My sugar dragon had been calming down, getting sleepy even, but boy is it roaring tonight. With a vengeance! I'm longing for a huge glass of milk, or a larabar (think goodness I told my husband to hide them!), or dark chocolate - or something, ANYTHING, sweet. Aaagh!

I think I will go brew some tea and drink it. I need something entirely opposite to sweet things. When my sugar dragon roars, it roars for hours at a time. I could *wish* it stopped after 3 or 5 minutes. Hah!

I think the problem is that I ran out of mayonnaise and so I didn't get my usual protein salad for lunch, which I love, and which is *so great* for satiety. I had a broccoli scramble instead, and was still hungry after I'd eaten it.

Dinner was roast turkey pieces, which I sprinkled with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder before I put them in the oven. Then, after they'd cooked for an hour, I drizzled a little clarified butter over them and let them cook another 20 minutes. The turkey was totally delicious.

I made the veggie melange from page 280 of Whole30: green beans, onion, mushrooms, red pepper. It was yummy also.

But I'm still hungry. If I had protein salad available *right now* I would totally dive on it. So maybe I am hungry after all. Maybe I should go make some mayonnaise this instant and *have* some protein salad. Hmmm.

The important thing is that you made good decisions that support your health and well being. You should be proud of that!

2 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

You don't need to squeeze an orange yourself to use in cooking things like this... as long as the juice used doesn't have added sugar, then its fine... 

Thanks, SugarcubeOD. I checked to be sure there was no added sugar. There wasn't. :D

(I checked BEFORE I used it.)

12 hours ago, littleg said:

Egg salad.  I'm a child of the 80s.  Egg yolks, mayo... verboten!  So maybe thats why I love it so much - I lived without it for 30 years because it was "too high in cholesterol".  Hubs and I always have hard boiled eggs in the fridge as well as mayo.  3 eggs, big old blob of mayo and I'm a happy camper :) Breakfast this AM was all random leftovers - leftover roasted broccoli, left over roasted potatoes, 1 raw red pepper topped with egg salad.   

It's so interesting that you mention being a child of the 80s and eggs, cholesterol and fat being verboten. I'm a child of the 80s too and I remember how impactful those comments from the health media were about the importance of a low fat, high carb diet. I think that's what started me on the cycles of carbohydrate and sugar cravings. I used to eat more healthfully (fewer carbs, more fat) but modified my diet to reflect the recommendations of the health establishment. That is really when I started getting pulled into the vicious cycle of eating too much sugar and carbs and becoming trapped in the eating/craving cycles. It's a problem that has followed me my entire adult life. Does anyone else feel that way?

Good news is I didn't get pulled into it today! Who posted the pistachio chicken pesto recipe? I made it today and it was delicious. It was high comedy though. I bought a giant spaghetti squash and my chefs knife got stuck in it. My husband was at work so he couldn't help. My neighbor with a house full of strong boys and husband were out. My 17 year old daughter had to call her boyfriend to come over to get the knife out of the squash. Of course he stayed for dinner (His second dinner. 17 year old boys need to eat)  Making the pesto took forever because I only have a mini prep processor. I'm done with that mistake. Will get a decent size food processor so I don't have to divide everything into such small batches. (Am happy for suggestions for favorite food processors that don't take up too much counter space and are easy to disassemble and clean.)

While I'm starting to prepare dinner, my daughter starts to make gingerbread cookies. They looked and smelled amazing.  Ground ginger, black pepper, cayenne, cinnamon, candied ginger, etc. I didn't touch one. Not even a taste! This is a major victory for me. I was able to admire how beautifully the cookies turned out without eating any!!! I sat at the table with the kids and watched them enjoy the cookies without any problem. I think the sugar dragon is going to sleep. Sshhhh.  

@Change30 I was born in 1960. Which means that as a very little girl I ate eggs and butter and my mother spoke of the importance of not eating too much "starch." But when the media blitz/gov recs began (in the 60s), she bought the message (incorrect as it was) and switched us over to margarine (trans fats, boo hiss) and cereal. The push for low fat/high carbs came later, when I was a young adult, and I fell for it. Then I compounded that mistake by going vegetarian and eating a lot of soy. My digestion was a mess by the time I hit my thirties. Luckily a practitioner of Traditional Chinese Medicine got me off of the vegetarian diet (which really did not work for me). It wasn't until my forties that I made the soy connection, and then my gut began to heal. That was such a relief!

LOL! about your chef knife adventure! Thank you for sharing that!

Big kudos to you re your serenity and the gingerbread cookies! :D

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Out of my 4 grandparents only one is still alive - and she is 106 and not always all there anymore - I wish they were around to talk to about what they remember about eating when they were kids.  My grandmother does only eat "real" food - she usually has oatmeal with some heavy cream for breakfast (she eats 1/4 dry oats - I've made it for her - so still pretty low carb) or 1 egg.  She only has butter - no margarine, good dark chocolate (vs. Hershey's) - things like that - no processed food in her apartment.  She lived from her 20s on in Chicago walking 3 miles a day to commute and lived on the 4th floor of a walk up... so lots of natural movement.  Who knows how the heck she made it to 106 but it certainly couldn't have hurt that she never gave in to the cholesterol-phobia of the 80s and stuck with eating as-real-as-possible food.  

If anyone is sort of interested in this topic a really good book is The Dorito Effect.  Talks a lot about how the food industry has transitioned away from real food.  

Hi my name is Shereka. My dental hygienist told me about this program after I told her that I'm trying to get pregnant again. She remembered all the complications I had during my first pregnancy (preeclampsia, Bells Palsy, and a couple less serious) and I explained to her that I'm wanting to change my lifestyle to help decrease my chances of developing these again. That's when she told me about Whole30.

After reading the steps and reviewing the associated material, I knew this was exactly what I wanted to do just with some guidelines and a forum to help with encouragement when I want to fall off. 

No excuses! It's time and I really don't want to spend most of my pregnancy again in the hospital. My start day is today, Dec 4. 

Happy Day 14 - almost halfway you guys!!!

I love looking at changes - I hope the rest of you can dig up the courage to post some pictures as we deflate/melt!

The green shirt is day 1, gray shirt is day 6, and red shirt is day 13.

IMG_3307 (1).JPG

IMG_3343.JPG

On 2016-11-30 at 1:09 PM, Jessica NG said:

Wow! Today is day 10! So far, it's flying by for me. In spite of the heartburn, which I still have, but which is mild, so bearable.

I am feeling much better today after a good night's sleep. I just did some meal planning for dinners. (I've got the breakfasts and lunches pretty well covered. I adore my scrambled or fried eggs for breakfast, with a side of fruit, and sometimes a cup of my bone broth. For lunch I adore protein salad - chicken or tuna or salmon or egg - made with my homemade mayonnaise and varying veggies.)

Tonight we're going to finish up the homemade soup with root vegetables. I'll be cooking a little extra meat to add to it.

Tomorrow will be ground beef with chimichurri sauce, with a side of broccoli, onion, mushrooms, and zucchini.

Friday will be turkey thighs and wings, with a side of green beans, red pepper, onion, and mushrooms.

I'm realizing that all the times I've eaten paleo for a while and then slipped off the wagon, with a little rice sliding in, or a little pasta, the main reason has been food boredom. It hasn't been because I suddenly develop a craving for grains. I just get so tired of eating the *same* things all the time.

This Whole30, because of the commitment aspect, is pushing me to do better meal planning. The fact that I've made a commitment and I want very much to keep that commitment, was what made me realize that ALWAYS when I've tried to be better at meal planning (I knew it was a weakness of mine), I tried to plan for 7 or 5 days at a time. And planning ahead that far just DOES NOT work for me. It never has.

So I'm doing 3 days at a time with this Whole30, and - so far - that is working.

I can imagine that after I've been steadily planning 3 days at a time, I may have gained enough skill at it to do 4. But I've got to take this meal planning thing in baby steps. :D

@NoMoreCrunchyCravings Glad you introduced yourself. Welcome!

@MizRik I love your calendar!

@PattiMcK It's great to hear that you're feeling more energetic and sleeping more soundly.

@AliceV I loved reading your update. Thank you for sharing it! I think I'm going to borrow some of your meals! The beet soup and the big salad sounded yummy! Have you gotten the results of your blood draw yet? My fingers are crossed for you.

1 hour ago, mhemm said:

Happy Day 14 - almost halfway you guys!!!

I love looking at changes - I hope the rest of you can dig up the courage to post some pictures as we deflate/melt!

The green shirt is day 1, gray shirt is day 6, and red shirt is day 13.

IMG_3307 (1).JPG

IMG_3343.JPG

@mhemm

so awesome to see your changes, that is so motivating.....keep it up!

Day #14 for me!!!

Today comes with a little anxiety. The first time I did the whole30, day14 is when I slipped off plan. After the first slip, subsequent ones were easy to justify in my weak willed brain. I then completed the rest of my days half-assed plus I quit early. It was super close to 30 days, but only like 27 or 28 in the end.  

I almost allowed history to repeat itself becasue we planned a dinner out with friends tonight. I quickly realized that would NOT be a good idea and instead invited them over here where I will cook. Whew. Saved that one! 

The amazing part of this dinner tonight... it's so we can get together and start planning specifics for our trip to Cancun in February!!!! 

Breakfast this morning was awesome!! I had two over easy eggs, two clementine oranges and some baked zig-zag summer squash. YUMMY!! 

Hope everyone is hanging in there! 

@Jessica NG sorry about the misleading OJ comment!  For some reason I thought all fruit juices were out - I must have assumed it. 

@mhemm so many NSV's it's hard to keep up with you! I think you can really see a difference.

@Change30 glad you liked the pistachio pesto! I use a blender for mine (Ninja) and it seems to work pretty well.  Very funny about the knife in the squash! And amazing job avoiding the gingerbread.  I love to bake, but I am avoiding it right now so as not to invoke feelings of "poor me, I can have that..."

@littleg I have heard of the Dorito Effect book- I'll have to check it out.

@Shereka welcome! Glad to have you along for the ride!

This morning I made the butternut squash soup and classic chili from the Whole 30 book.  I'm thrilled with the squash soup!  The chili tastes great, but it doesn't really make me think of chili from the consistency. It's not quite as thick as I would like.

@MizRik (why isn't that highlighting?)  great save on the dinner tonight! What are you making?  Think about awesome you are going to feel when that Cancun trip rolls around!

Nothing special planned here for today - my favorite kind of day!! Happy day 14!

16 minutes ago, MizRik said:

Day #14 for me!!!

Today comes with a little anxiety. The first time I did the whole30, day14 is when I slipped off plan. After the first slip, subsequent ones were easy to justify in my weak willed brain. I then completed the rest of my days half-assed plus I quit early. It was super close to 30 days, but only like 27 or 28 in the end.  

I almost allowed history to repeat itself becasue we planned a dinner out with friends tonight. I quickly realized that would NOT be a good idea and instead invited them over here where I will cook. Whew. Saved that one! 

The amazing part of this dinner tonight... it's so we can get together and start planning specifics for our trip to Cancun in February!!!! 

Breakfast this morning was awesome!! I had two over easy eggs, two clementine oranges and some baked zig-zag summer squash. YUMMY!! 

Hope everyone is hanging in there! 

@MizRik 

Be in your power girl! That was LAST time!

Sounds like you have manouevered out of a potentially slippery situation! Yay!!

My brekkie was 2 scrambled eggs, used Ghee, with a few pepper pieces and red onion sautéed just before the eggs went in, 1/2 a baked potato and 1/2 an avocado on the side. FILLING :)

Now those 2 clementines sound yummy.....I wasn't sure if it is ok to have fruit accompanying the meal.. I just allowed myself a small handful of blueberries. Guess we are not supposed to use food as a snack? But in a meal it's fine?

Going to head out for a walk/run.....talk later. 

20 minutes ago, CCLaymon said:

@Jessica NG sorry about the misleading OJ comment!  For some reason I thought all fruit juices were out - I must have assumed it. 

@mhemm so many NSV's it's hard to keep up with you! I think you can really see a difference.

@Change30 glad you liked the pistachio pesto! I use a blender for mine (Ninja) and it seems to work pretty well.  Very funny about the knife in the squash! And amazing job avoiding the gingerbread.  I love to bake, but I am avoiding it right now so as not to invoke feelings of "poor me, I can have that..."

@littleg I have heard of the Dorito Effect book- I'll have to check it out.

@Shereka welcome! Glad to have you along for the ride!

This morning I made the butternut squash soup and classic chili from the Whole 30 book.  I'm thrilled with the squash soup!  The chili tastes great, but it doesn't really make me think of chili from the consistency. It's not quite as thick as I would like.

@MizRik (why isn't that highlighting?)  great save on the dinner tonight! What are you making?  Think about awesome you are going to feel when that Cancun trip rolls around!

Nothing special planned here for today - my favorite kind of day!! Happy day 14!

@CCLaymon

good to hear the soup is tasty....that's my plan for this aft!

Yesterday....Used 4 chicken thighs that I browned in bit oil with onion and garlic, added chopped green beans, a carrot , salt and pepper and some chopped cherry tomatoes, with a bit of puréed tomatoes, and chicken stock (Imagine brand), and allowed it to simmer for an hour. Oh, also added some frozen cauliflower florets for variety and a chopped mushroom, sorry. 

It was like a stew thingy, put 1 portion away for work! 

NSV for me-skin a bit smoother, less hair loss when I wash it, belly is less protruberant lol, what a weird word but couldn't think of another....still hear that sugar dragon whining tho.....maybe whimpering at times....

I take front (and back :o) shots now and then --- they can be motivating in different ways, either "hey, awesome, you've done well!" and "hey man, you're slipping, better step it up!"

But ya, photo records are cool because what we see in the mirror every day doesn't really register since those daily incremental changes are hard to notice.

Archived