Enough excuses! Starting 11/21!!

MizRik

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, IronGirlTrixie said:

It's been a little nutty at my house. I finished my whole30 on Nov 1. I tasted some dairy on day 31 and it didn't agree with me. Then I kept having slip ups. But dammit! I'm back on this. Really. Y'all are inspirational. 

You are totally back in this, @IronGirlTrixie. You've got this! Stay with us! :D

46 minutes ago, mhemm said:

Thanks everyone for your concern!  I am fine today - still a bit dehydrated and tentative, but ate a good supper last night and am back at it this morning!

So glad you are feeling better, @mhemm.

Huge congrats on the NSVs! :D

I think I experienced a little tiger blood this morning.

I had an appointment with my osteopath (for knee and foot trouble), and when I was called from the waiting room...

Instead of getting up and walking down the hall as usual, I *hopped* up and walked *briskly* down the hall without really thinking about it or even intending to. It just came naturally, and it felt *good*.

No tiger blood left right now, however. I'm not dragging, but I'm definitely tired.

But I've got pork carnitas cooking in the oven, and it smells divine. :D

7 hours ago, mhemm said:

Thanks everyone for your concern!  I am fine today - still a bit dehydrated and tentative, but ate a good supper last night and am back at it this morning!  @NoMoreCrunchyCravings - They were frozen and undercooked, I bit into a cold one and stopped eating them - must have been just enough.

Ugh I can only imagine - really glad you're on the mend! I'm really nervous about my chicken and pork being underdone, to the point where I've cooked them to oblivion. But then I started using a meat thermometer and life (and dinner) has been so much more tender and less dry since then! :rolleyes:

7 hours ago, mhemm said:

I told my husband this morning that my new underwear fits perfectly - that I've really been struggling with undies lately  - we both wonder if it's the underwear that fits me or me that fits the underwear...:lol:

My jeans are getting almost big, not just fitting better, my rings are spinning on my finger

TMI - my boobs are shrinking - sorry

Also, these are great NSVs! My underwear has been an issue lately too-- I had to buy bigger ones because my fat roll would push them down in the front every time I'd bend over and sit down, then I'd have to reach into my pants and dig them out and pull them up... not that attractive a feat to watch I imagine! LOL I look forward to being able to fit back into my normal underwear again, too! :P

Thanks so much for all the motivation, you guys - I'm glad to follow along with this group and see where you all are just one week ahead of me!

LOVE LOVE LOVE all the positive chatter coming out of our group lately!

Last night I was still grumbling to myself about needing to meal prep, but I got up and did it. When all was said and done I ended up with 4 servings of Pad Thai, 3 servings of a stir fry beef cashew dish, two servings of a buffalo chicken salad and some leftover ground beef to make stuffed peppers with!! Success!! That will for sure help me get through my next five days at work doing 12 hour shifts!

So excited to be able to say that I am MORE than half way done now! However.... I also love the fact that its only the first 30 days that are half way done because I plan on continuing what I have learned as a lifestyle change.

NSV - I haven't put my work clothes on for over a week because I have had the time off..... Today when I put them on they felt quite a bit looser!!! WAHOOOOO!!!!

Dump ranch... Did I already mention dump ranch?? You all need to try it if you haven't!

I got my whole30 cookbook in the mail today!!! So as for being annoyed with food prep.... I better get over that soon so I can try some new recipes!!

And even more important..... THANK YOU LADIES for joining me here. Just because I started the group with the first post does not matter, its that all of you replied and are sticking around that makes it great! :wub:

1 minute ago, Jessica NG said:

@MizRik What is "dump ranch"?

Big congrats on your work clothes NSV! That's awesome!

Only the best invention this week!! It's homemade ranch dressing. There is a recipe for homemade ranch in the whole30 book. Not sure if it's the same one and right now I'm too lazy to look! LOL. The one I have been making is this one. 

http://www.whole-sisters.com/single-post/2016/05/26/Dump-Ranch

oh and that reminds me. Thanks @CCLaymon for reposting the pesto recipe! 

On 2016-12-04 at 9:49 PM, Jessica NG said:

I read a few pages of THE PALEO APPROACH by Sarah Ballantyne this afternoon, and I have some ideas about why I've been suffering heartburn since day 2 of my Whole30.

I developed quite a milk habit over the summer, and milk causes the body to produce a lot more mucous than it ordinarily would. I suspect that my entire digestive tract had an extra thick coating of mucous from all my milk drinking. And when I started my Whole30, the milk went away. So that protective barrier has been thinning down to whatever will be normal. If that mucous was part of my body's protection from stomach acid... well, now it needs to make some adjustments.

I've had discomfort in my small intestine and large intestine all during the past week, in addition to the heartburn. So I do think the changeover in gut flora plus the change in the mucous layer is behind all this. I will certainly tell my doctor what has been happening when I see her on the 13th, but I think it is reasonable to hope that all of this digestive upset will calm down once my body fully adjusts to the Whole30 diet. Fingers crossed. ;)

I also have had stomach discomfort on and off through this program   Yesterday I ate dinner a bit late, was out running errands, and afterwards my gut was so uncomfortable. Distended and just icky   I did eat too quickly as I was famished =BAD idea. Also, if I have lemon in my water, I noticed a raw feeling in my gut, was thinking of you....I'm pretty sure our guts will straighten themselves out. 

On 2016-12-05 at 5:09 PM, MizRik said:

Excited to be half way done!!!! Re-cap of my time so far.... it hasn't been bad. My "hangover" was mild in the beginning. I only had hit and miss moments of wanting to kill all things. I still want naps on occasion but my energy is slowly getting better. My bloating was ten times better until shark week hit (stupid shark week.) The hardest days for me have been the past few and it's just that I'm tired of meal prep, I'm tired of planning and I wish I had a chef! Tigers blood?? Nope, none yet. Best #NSV is that my Levi's fit a little better and my sugar dragon has really not even been around. In fact my sugar dragon has been weaker and smaller than a baby lizard! Bring on the next 15 days!! 

YOU are sounding very strong, and oh my wow, I too am getting tired of the intensity of meal prepping. I want that Quick pb and jam sandwich/bowl of cereal!

Never realized how much coming home to a cooked meal makes me feel "cared for " and nurtured. My inner child wanting to be acknowledged I guess, 

No afternoon slump times, BUT still pushing snooze several times in the morning.  Was hoping I'd be catapulting from my bed nest in the mornings, by now....still waiting.... usually 7 hrs sleep. 

Doc office called....my LDL / bad cholesterol is high. Going in next week. Was really anxiety provoking for me  to call the office back to see what was up. I was trembling like a leaf in the wind, I'm sure my body was flooded with stress hormones. So hard to stay in the Now, at times like this  

On 2016-12-05 at 5:38 PM, mhemm said:

Happy Day 15!  Wow!  Halfway!  

I have always been reluctant to cook seafood because I am always worried that I will poison everyone with under-cooked food.  Well, my fear is finally justified - luckily I was the only one eating the scallops.  So I am slowly introducing food again today, but honestly want nothing.  I've had a few bottles of water, a mug of broth, and an Rxbar.  Tomorrow will be a better day.

Great job everyone!B)

@mhemm 

Damn- feel good soon girl!

10 hours ago, mhemm said:

AND the cookbook is being delivered to my doorstep today!:D

10 hours ago, mhemm said:

AND the cookbook is being delivered to my doorstep today!:D

Review it for us and let us know how motivating it is to get a new recipe book to cook with!!

1 hour ago, AliceV said:

I also have had stomach discomfort on and off through this program   Yesterday I ate dinner a bit late, was out running errands, and afterwards my gut was so uncomfortable. Distended and just icky   I did eat too quickly as I was famished =BAD idea. Also, if I have lemon in my water, I noticed a raw feeling in my gut, was thinking of you....I'm pretty sure our guts will straighten themselves out.

Sorry to hear that you, too, have been having gut discomfort. But I agree with you: our guts WILL straighten themselves out. I just have a feeling that this is all part of the adjustment process.

1 hour ago, AliceV said:

Never realized how much coming home to a cooked meal makes me feel "cared for " and nurtured. My inner child wanting to be acknowledged I guess, 

.  .  .

Doc office called....my LDL / bad cholesterol is high. Going in next week. Was really anxiety provoking for me  to call the office back to see what was up. I was trembling like a leaf in the wind, I'm sure my body was flooded with stress hormones. So hard to stay in the Now, at times like this 

I've noticed that "cared for" feeling, too, as I've been eating these delicious Whole30 meals, night after night. It surprised me somehow, but I really like it.

Sorry about the LDL news. Hang in there!

2 hours ago, MizRik said:

Only the best invention this week!! It's homemade ranch dressing. There is a recipe for homemade ranch in the whole30 book. Not sure if it's the same one and right now I'm too lazy to look! LOL. The one I have been making is this one. 

http://www.whole-sisters.com/single-post/2016/05/26/Dump-Ranch

Thanks for the link! I just made some Whole30 ranch to put on my salad tonight, and it was good but not quite right. Probably my fault, because I wanted to make a small amount, so I was cutting the recipe down to 1/8 and it was hard to get the measurements right. But "dump ranch" is definitely different from the recipe in the Whole30 book. I will give it a try! :D

Tonight's pork carnitas was really good! Not only did I enjoy it, but my husband and my two picky-eater children did, too! Yay!

I was never quite sure what to do with "Boston butt" before. Now I know: pork carnitas on page 254. I even included the flourishes specified by the recipe: juice from a fresh lime drizzled over it and slices of green onion on top. Yum!

I have to admit that I thought I would be eating grilled chicken and steamed broccoli for 30 days.  I am so excited by the amount I've already learned and everyone in the house is happier when there is food in the fridge!  Already this week I have made Sloppy Joes and brisket pg214Whole30 - which by the way I had never made and am totally in love with - I haven't even opened the new cookbook yet, but good things are happening!  I also believe I am a proud recipient of TIGER BLOOD!!!  

Good Night, everyone!  See you on Day 17!!!B)

3 minutes ago, mhemm said:

I have to admit that I thought I would be eating grilled chicken and steamed broccoli for 30 days.  I am so excited by the amount I've already learned and everyone in the house is happier when there is food in the fridge!  Already this week I have made Sloppy Joes and brisket pg214Whole30 - which by the way I had never made and am totally in love with - I haven't even opened the new cookbook yet, but good things are happening!  I also believe I am a proud recipient of TIGER BLOOD!!!

Hah! I'm making brisket tomorrow! ;)

Like you, I am excited about how much more skillful I am getting at the meal planning and steady, night-in-and-night-out cooking. This is something I have FAILED at for decades. I wasn't sure I COULD get better at it, but I AM. I'm thrilled!

@AliceV & @Jessica NG - if your gut issues don't settle down feel free to post a few days worth of your food log and we can take a look and see if anything jumps out at us. There are a number of foods/food groups that can cause digestive issues in those sensitive to them. In the meantime a digestive enzyme may help, or the inclusion of some fermented foods in your diet - kimchi, sauerkraut or kombucha for instance. These foods have 'friendly bacteria' which will help improve the gut flora & so aid digestion.

I'm with you all on the meal prep & cooking.  I was a takeout or bare-minimum type cook before this.  I've tried more new recipes in the past 24 days than I have in the past 10 years!  And, I've been shocked at how much I actually LIKE cooking.  It's been really fun to see the results of my labor...there are so many things I can't believe I actually made!  I made delicious nutritious meals with lots of ingredients and steps and I didn't burn anything! (yet)  And the thing is, if something didn't turn out right I'm more emotionally and physically stable so I can handle the upset and scrounge up another quick meal or replacement ingredient.  Heck, I didn't used to like avocados...this week I made my own guac to dip stuffed jalapenos in and it was FANTASTIC!

@MizRik I totally get the flip side too though.  I spent ~1.5 shopping (Trader Joes & Whole Foods) and ~5hrs cooking on Sunday.  It's definitely changed the shape of my weekends!  Awesome job pushing through and getting the prep work done.  All the meals you prepared look tasty!

@Jessica NG @AliceV I also had some digestional distress that came and went a bit mid-way through.  Good news is it passed and I'm feeling REALLY great now.  Hopefully you guys get to feeling better too!  I have added kombucha to my lunch like @jmcbn mentioned so maybe thats helping too.  Was tough to find a brand that 'technically' followed all the rules and didn't list sugar in the ingredients (If you don't drink kombucha - it's ALL made with sugar as part of the fermenting process.  The sugar is all used up so as long as they didn't add additional sugar they are compliant.  However, if it technically says sugar on the label it's out, and some brands detail what's in the base kombuch and some don't, crazy I know.)  I was able to find certain varieties of G.T's Kombucha are compliant (original, lemonade, green - extra bonus with spirulina and such).  Was surpirsed to find that the Gingerade flavor was high enough in alcohol that I was actually CARDED at Whole Foods.  So, even though it's compliant as per ingredients I decided to skip that flavor for the 30 days...if it has enough alcohol you have to be 21 to purchase then I probably shouldn't have it right?!

Have a great Wednesday everyone!

@Sarah_MT  Good call on the kombucha!  I can't bring myself to drink the stuff but I wish I could!

NSV's for today - I fit into a smaller size jeans! Not spacious, but zippable :) 

Went to the doctor and closed my eyes and told her not to tell me the results. I really battled over that one. Do I get the number? Do I close my eyes? Do I get the number and not report it you? LOL!!!   I told her that I was doing well on the new eating plan, and I just want to stay the course. If she gave me the number, no matter what it wouldn't have been ok. She could say - you lost 20 pounds! And I would say - I was hoping for 21!  Best to just skip it and keep on truckin'.

Starting tomorrow I'm on the road for 6 days in restaurants and hotel rooms. That will be a true test of my skills! I'll still check in at least daily. 17 Days!! WOOT WOOT!

27 minutes ago, CCLaymon said:

NSV's for today - I fit into a smaller size jeans! Not spacious, but zippable :) 

Went to the doctor and closed my eyes and told her not to tell me the results. I really battled over that one. Do I get the number? Do I close my eyes? Do I get the number and not report it you? LOL!!!   I told her that I was doing well on the new eating plan, and I just want to stay the course. If she gave me the number, no matter what it wouldn't have been ok. She could say - you lost 20 pounds! And I would say - I was hoping for 21!  Best to just skip it and keep on truckin'.

Starting tomorrow I'm on the road for 6 days in restaurants and hotel rooms. That will be a true test of my skills! I'll still check in at least daily. 17 Days!! WOOT WOOT!

Awesome job at the physician's office and on the jeans NSV-- you are a strong woman! What is your plan for your six days on the road? Do you have access to a cooler/fridges in hotel rooms or access to grocery stores along the way? Are you going to subsist on jerky, canned olives and apples, or are you bringing anything more elaborate? I'd love to hear what you've organized!

Archived