Enough excuses! Starting 11/21!!

MizRik

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi!  So I'm currently on day 5, but I just looked over the rules again while I was eating dried apricots as a snack and noticed that sulfites aren't okay (dried fruit has sulfites, I'm not really sure what they are but must be some kind of preservative).  Since it's only the beginning of my Whole30, I think I'll start over and make sure I follow all the rules this time.  On the bright side, I've noticed that I already crave sugar and other junk food less even after only 5 days, so I'm excited for how I'll feel after 30 more.  Also I'm about to go on break from school and am looking forward to this being much easier when I'm not living on dining hall food and can cook my own meals (anyone have any favorite Whole30 recipes I could try?). 

TL;DR:  Watch out for sulfites... 

I am so happy I decided to scroll through the forums tonight. I have been telling myself that I was going to restart on Saturday but I really needed this no excuses do it now kick in the pants! I did my first Whole30 in September of 2014 and a Whole100 last year at this time. Since then, however, I have really struggled to do another. I have never successfully done a reintroduction and for the most part I've either been strict W30 or the total opposite for the last two years. When I finished my Whole100 last December I felt great, had dropped 8 sizes and 50 pounds since my first W30 and started doing crossfit (while I was the lowest weight I was also the weakest I'd been in years). Fast forward a year and I have put back on 25 of those pounds and while my body composition has changed thanks to working out, I barely fit into all those new clothes I bought.

So tomorrow is Day 1. I am visiting my parents for Thanksgiving, which shouldn't be too difficult, since they are generally "real food" eaters anyway. But Friday I need to prep for... headed to my in-laws who do not get it AT ALL. 

Hope day 2 was a good one for the rest of you!

I'm new to this, so bear with me (forums I mean).  I suffer from I/C and have few prospect for relief.  A friend knowing of the Whole 30 gave the books and I started on Nov 12.  I made a few mistakes the first couple of days so I guess I really started on the 14th.  I had a weight problem most of my life but stabilized that about 4 years by weighing an measuring everything I ate and just ate a well balanced diet, worked for me (not so much for my wife).  However the I/C just got worse, and I read that one of the benefits of Whole 30 is that could stop or at least improve.  I just  dove in head first and am not having any real issues following the program except I don't feel very good.  I'm assuming that is the sugar with drawls.

SweetPea, Irish, and Ranchhand, Welcome to the group!  I already know we're going to see a lot of success here!

Nireera, I am so proud of you doing this while you're in school, and might I guess getting ready for FINALS??  Good luck, girl!!

mhemm, my son's biggie intake has definitely increased as I'm doing the Whole 30.

I felt pretty good today. I'm glad to have a couple of days off, because I I tend to get very tired at the end of week 1.

Great to have 2 days under my belt!

Good morning, friends! I have a little Thanksgiving gift for you this morning!

When I did my first Whole 30, I was part of a very tight forum group. One of our members Deb was AH-MAZING and posted an "Ingredient of the Day" challenge for us, along with several compliant recipes for that ingredient. It introduced to me to a number of new ingredients and got me to try new things. (I never knew what a shallot was before that challenge!)  Later, Deb (who also works for a major network that focuses on cooking ;)) then compiled those 30 posts into one post for easy reference.

Here you go: 

I hope this will help everyone too see how many terrific things you can make and enjoy on the whole 30!

I was scrolling through the forum and stumbled upon this group! Y'all sound awesome and while I'm in the middle of my 5th whole 30, I'm intending to continue on through December. I thought maybe I was crazy but apparently not. I hope y'all don't mind if I join your group for continued motivation.  

Trixie, if you're crazy, you're in the right place!  Share with us how AWESOME you are feeling on this round!

I've had 3 good days. I'm feeling much more clear-headed already, and my hip pain is starting to subside.

On the down side, I'm starting to feel a little, "Kill all the things."  I'm glad my husband is going on a business trip on Friday so he doesn't have to put up with my grouchy mood!

Roll call, gang! How are you doing? What's going well and what's challenging you?

38 minutes ago, CCLaymon said:

Roll call, gang! How are you doing? What's going well and what's challenging you?

Hey guys!  I was definitely not prepared for the mental game this entails!  And honestly - I'm not sure there was really a way to prepare for that.  My tummy has been full, my appetite is all over the board - I'm starving, take 2 bites and I'm stuffed, starving again in 30 minutes.  No doubt I have entered the "kill all the things" stage - I'm not bored with my food but I miss some of my easy go to snacks & sugary drinks.  I'm super crabby and people say stupid things to people who are taking control of what goes in their mouth - not a good combination!  I've been sleeping as well as is normal and I am tired.  I committed to a running streak starting tomorrow, but at least it's a minimum of 1 mile per day...  One thing that I'm experiencing that I haven't read anything about is being COLD all the time!  Is anyone else cold?  I'm sure it's because my body is a mess right now, just curious if anyone else is struggling with this.Another non-scale victory this week was just the amount of good food the whole family had to choose from when foraging for snacks - I did not expect everyone to dive in the way they did!  That support sure does make it easier!

I love this forum!  Keep up the focus and hard work everyone and have a great Thanksgiving!!!B)

Hi all! 

YES, also feeling cold and just icky! Day 3 Just about done. 

Hungry tonight, and mad I just can't pick up some crackers and cheese. Ugh! 

Always good to come on here and touch base with others. I want to snack but we are not supposed to!  Needed more protein at dinner I think. 

Keep it going everyone, and is anyone else eating anything in evening?

thanks!!

15 hours ago, CCLaymon said:

Good morning, friends! I have a little Thanksgiving gift for you this morning!

When I did my first Whole 30, I was part of a very tight forum group. One of our members Deb was AH-MAZING and posted an "Ingredient of the Day" challenge for us, along with several compliant recipes for that ingredient. It introduced to me to a number of new ingredients and got me to try new things. (I never knew what a shallot was before that challenge!)  Later, Deb (who also works for a major network that focuses on cooking ;)) then compiled those 30 posts into one post for easy reference.

Here you go: 

I hope this will help everyone too see how many terrific things you can make and enjoy on the whole 30!

This is brilliant! Thanks!

@CCLaymon well, I'm on day 23 so I've hit a groove. I haven't been prepping meals this week and been running on the fly. Lots of tuna this week. ;) some NSV.... My clothes are fitting better and last week when I had a long drive trip, I wasn't stiff when I made a pit stop. 

I get cold when I don't drink enough water or exercise. Even a 20 minute  walk during lunch cures  it. 

Off to start some sides for turkey dinner! Y'all are doing great! 

AliceV, I'm sure one of the moderators will jump in here if I'm wrong, but I think if you're hungry it's ok to eat some protein/veg. I know we're striving for 3 meals a day, but the as long as you are following the food rules, you should be in good shape, especially as you're learning how much you need to eat to hold you over.

How about hard boiled eggs/raw veggies like carrots or celery sticks?

Here's also a link to Whole30 snacks: https://lifehealthhq.com/whole30-approved-snacks/

What I know for sure is that you shouldn't feel hungry/deprived. That is the beauty of this program!!`

• Moderators

@AliceV

If you're genuinely hungry (you could eat bland steamed fish and broccoli) then you should eat. You don't have to power through and be miserable. Eat a mini meal of protein, fat and ideally veg.  Fruit, dried fruit, nuts and nut butters aren't the way to go here tho.  Be aware of what you ate today that may have been insufficient to get you the 4-5 hours between meals and then up your meals tomorrow to work on getting through. If your days are such that you always have a long space between two meals (lunch and dinner for instance) definitely eat a mini meal! 

If you would like input on how you're doing, feel free to post a few days of meals including portion sizes and specific veggies, protein and fat and we can see if there's some tweaking to do. :)

Hello all! I haven't found myself cranky or cold... just hungry! I know snacking isn't ideal but I've been eating the classic combo of fruit/vegetable + fat/protein if I'm still hungry an hour or two after my last meal.  I thinking I'm more hungry on days I'm more active... all exercise aside, I walk almost everywhere, plus I'm on my feet most of the day. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JisforJennifer said:

Hello all! I haven't found myself cranky or cold... just hungry! I know snacking isn't ideal but I've been eating the classic combo of fruit/vegetable + fat/protein if I'm still hungry an hour or two after my last meal.  I thinking I'm more hungry on days I'm more active... all exercise aside, I walk almost everywhere, plus I'm on my feet most of the day. 

You don't need to be hungry.

It sounds like you're pretty active in general, so be sure that when you eat, you're making most of your meals meet the upper end of the meal template ranges (go for 2 palm-sized portions of protein, 2 servings of fat). Your meals should be keeping you satisfied 4-5 hours at at a time, if they're not, you need to work on making them larger. We generally recommend that most people have at least one fist-sized serving of starchy vegetable each day (like potato, sweet potato, winter squashes like acorn or butternut, root veggies like carrots, parsnips, turnips, rutabagas, beets), so if you're not already doing that, do that, and if you are already doing that, it's okay if you want to try having an extra serving (or more) each day -- try different amounts and see what works for you. When you do actually work out, be sure you have pre- and post-workout meals in addition to your three meals. Pre-workout is mostly important if you're working out first thing in the morning (you want to eat something within an hour of waking up) but may not be necessary if you're working out in the middle of the day and it's only been an hour or two since you ate. Post-workout is for recovery, and is more important, especially if you're doing any kind of strength training.

Happy Thanksgiving, Gang!

How are you planning to handle the holiday today?  It's just my husband and I for today, so I have it a lot easier than most of you. We're having turkey, sweet potatoes, and brussel sprouts.

My one word of advice: remember how stuffed and bloated you felt last year, and how amazing you will feel tomorrow if you stay compliant today!

YOU CAN DO THIS!!  Check in here if you're struggling and we can all give each other a boost.

Hey all!  I'm new to the Whole 30 and today is my Day 3! I am a 30 year old housewife that really needs a wake me up when it comes to my nutrition. Enter Whole 30.  So far, the only times that I have been upset/grumpy is when I couldn't have my glass of wine before bed. lol.  I suppose there are worse problems.

Happy Thanksgiving!  Here's hoping that everyone stays strong during this food-heavy day/weekend!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  New to this board.  Hosting Thanksgiving, which means my menu can be [secretly] compliant!  Made curried butternut squash soup topped with chestnuts and coconut cream; Roast Turkey basted in homemade mayo; pureed cauliflower, parsnip and carrots; Brussels sprouts tossed with capers, mustard and anchovies and crispy oven roasted sweet potato.  Did make traditional stuffing for guests and have pies for dessert for them but made my own baked apples.  Hope you all have a great day!

Archived